Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Rant: 'tarded eBay sellers

Old 10-01-2002, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rant: 'tarded eBay sellers

Well.. I've been trying my best to avoid eBay, but lately I guess my dad's been getting into buying things there. In any case he wanted me to bid on something for him, but asked me to email the seller about the condition first.

I emailed and the seller replies stating simply that the item is "in excellent condition in every way." Being away from eBay for so long, I rejoined the novice group of blind believers and bid on this item. Anyways someone else won the auction but backed out. Since the reserve was set pretty low, I won the auction at about 3/4 of the final price that the true winner was about to pay. I was ready to pay the amount when the seller emails and says that it's too low and that they wanted more for it. So I reluctantly agree to a middleground price and pay it.

The seller then tells me shipping the thing is going to cost me $30 US, and that I will have to pay a "PayPal surcharge" for the amount that PayPal deducts. I called BS [surcharges are illegal under certain conditions like this] on this. Seller gets irritated, and tells me to pay shipping. I told him/her to include the receipt for shipping.

Item comes. Packaging is worse than what a 12 year old child can do. One of the knobs on the preamp doesn't even work [spins freely and has no effect], the top of the unit is all scratched up, the sides of the unit have some oily/sticky junk like the seller was storing this thing near a damn french frier at McDonalds. Far from the "excellent condition in every way" bullshit. I email the seller about all of this. He/she emails back asking me why I'm out to start trouble.... He/she then goes on to say I got a heck of a deal and that he/she should have just took it to a pawn shop. [Brilliant how the seller sets a low reserve then complains about the final price being a steal.]

In any case, I guess I've spent too much time on the S2ki boards. I was so used to intelligent conversations and normal vocabulary where "excellent condition" still meant excellent condition. Even with free education, society somehow produces these half-wits on eBay..

Thanks for listening.

R.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:15 AM

I've done a decent amount of buying and selling on ebay as well. Can't you take the issue up with them due to misrepresentation of the item? At the very least you can leave negative feedback for him.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:22 AM

in my past experience, it takes so much time to resolve matters like these that it ends up being so much work to pursue the dollar. in the end, resolving the issue would really only be to be the "right" one. i have a decent rating on eBay, so hopefully people that see my negative feedback for this seller will avoid him/her in the future.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:08 AM

I'm considering selling some stuff on EBay, but I'm dreading it because there are just as many idiot buyers as there are sellers. My Brother in law sold some guitars on EBay, and he said almost EVERY ONE of the winning bidders contested the condition of the guitar after receiving it, and tried to "renegotiate" the sale price based on their own supposed dissatisfaction. He always described the condition VERY CLEARLY and included many many photos with each auction, but I guess people always try to screw the other guy and get as much out of it as they can.
Old 10-02-2002, 01:20 AM
Spammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you paid via paypal you can get a refund if yourself and the seller are verified members. Its simply called item not as described
Old 10-02-2002, 06:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 4IGS2000
[B]If you paid via paypal you can get a refund if yourself and the seller are verified members.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:37 PM

Don't buy things without examining them first! Who raised you people?