Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Salvaged Titles?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Salvaged Titles?

What's the deal with salvaged titles? Im wondering because i'm thinking about buying a new car...(not a new car obviously but something new) but anyways, the current car that i'm looking at is in Oregon and says it has a salvaged title due to some front end damage but is fine now. My question is, does it has to be a certain degree of damage? because my mom nearly totaled her 2001 altima back in 2002 with 7k worth of damage but still has a clean title. someone help i'm confused.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Georgia, a slavage title means the car was declared a total loss after a major accident. It does not necessarily mean that the car was not repairable after the accident, but merely that it was more economical for the insurance company to scrap the car than to fix it. I have seen perfectly good cars with salvage titles, but the risk of getting a problem car are just too high. I've seen cars that were crushed front and rear (my own Merkur for one) that were put back into drivable condition and sold with a slavage title, and believe me, you would not want to own a car that had been crushed as badly as my Merkur.

Better to wait until you can find a car with a clear title.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:16 PM

Yep! Two main drawbacks of a salvage title, one is that if it was in a bad accident no matter how good it was fixed or how they seller explains the car with those crappy sale tactics, u're into a lot of crap. Like uneven tire ware, constantly, bad braking, vibrating and such. Another draw back is that the insurance companies usually don't fully insure salvage and ones that due typically after getting an average from KBB, Edmunds, and NADA (depends on company) they give you about 40-50% of the value.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by LICKBEeezNUTZ,Feb 6 2008, 12:16 AM
Yep! Two main drawbacks of a salvage title, one is that if it was in a bad accident no matter how good it was fixed or how they seller explains the car with those crappy sale tactics, u're into a lot of crap. Like uneven tire ware, constantly, bad braking, vibrating and such. Another draw back is that the insurance companies usually don't fully insure salvage and ones that due typically after getting an average from KBB, Edmunds, and NADA (depends on company) they give you about 40-50% of the value.
I've owned 3 or 4 rebulit vechiles and never had any issues with reliabilty. I've also had 2 or 3 different insurance companies and never had an issue insuring the vechile. Also my friend totaled his salvage car and recieved full value not a depreciated one because it was salvage before. Sorry not sure where got your information but its wrong.

If your getting a real good deal on it I'd say go for it as long as everything checks out good. If its a private seller bring it to a shop that does collision work and have them check it out.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^Agreed
Old 02-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Former Moderator

if you plan on resell that would be hard.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by chillout18,Feb 6 2008, 04:35 AM
I've owned 3 or 4 rebulit vechiles and never had any issues with reliabilty. I've also had 2 or 3 different insurance companies and never had an issue insuring the vechile. Also my friend totaled his salvage car and recieved full value not a depreciated one because it was salvage before. Sorry not sure where got your information but its wrong.

If your getting a real good deal on it I'd say go for it as long as everything checks out good. If its a private seller bring it to a shop that does collision work and have them check it out.
thanks man, everyone keeps telling me its a horrible idea. but im not going to resell it in a very long time if ever. and i figure if i'm going to take it to a honda dealership and have their mechanics check the motor, frame, etc. and its all good there shouldn't be any problems.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:55 AM

I have a salvage title vehicle. In Colorado, insurance companies won't provide full coverage on a salvage title. They will cover you with liability only. If a crash is your fault repairs are out of pocket. If you get hit, the other guys insurance pays. Perhaps that is what happened to chillout's friend.

Beware of the the term "Salvage". In some states, you cannot register a salvage title. What might work in Oregon may not work where you live. In Colorado, to register you must show a "rebuilt" title which will require proof of repairs and a sign-off by the State Patrol. If you can't provide this to the DMV, you are screwed.

Selling a salvage or rebuilt vehicle isn't a big deal, but don't expect to trade it in. Dealers don't want them.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:31 AM
bcs

In Washington, you have to surrender the title to the Department of Licensing. They write a big "Destroyed" across it. In fact, in Washington, it is illegal to drive a car that has a salvaged title until a new one has been issued. And when you do get a new title, it may end up being labeled as a rebuilt.

In order to get a new title here, you have to get it approved and signed off by the State Patrol.

You should really look at your local DMV website. You'll be able to find all the answers you need. Since each state varies, you'll have to find out what you can actually do.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:37 AM

a title is moved from salvage to rebuilt after it passes inspection. if its a salvage title from, a private seller theres something weird going on. if its salvage from a repair dealer they have to go to inspection to have it certified to be on the road again thats when the title goes to rebuilt status.

I wouldnt be worried about the motor really because the people who rebuild around here wont buy a car from the auction with motor damage. the frame and how everything was put back together is the biggest concern. check body lines to see if they are even. most of the time u can tell if the car was hit in the front if u check the fender bolts and they look like they had a socket on them. test drive the car as long as it drives straight and u dont feel anything funny about it you should be good. most palces around here offer 3-12 month warrenties on anything that goes wrong.

and btw i think honda would probably steer you away from buying it if you did bring it to them. but you can try and see what they say

Quick Reply: Salvaged Titles?