Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Should I take this job?

Old 04-30-2003, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I take this job?

Hey all

I got offered a job today in sales for a printing company. The job is entirely commission based, but if things go well, I can make decent change ($2K-$5K Canadian a month). Now, I've always been on the fence about commission based jobs, but these guys seem honest and straightforward. It's a printing company that handles some major Southern Calgary businesses. Now, I do have experience with one-to-one computer sales and photoelectronic sales in a retail environment.

I'm not sure what I should do... should I keep looking for a $10/hr student job, or take this job that MIGHT make me decent money?

help!
Old 05-01-2003, 04:54 AM

Honestly, No.

Strickly Commission based jobs can be tricky. If they hire people based on Commission, then what's to say they wont hire 9 other people like you? It wont cost them more to hire them, you have to compete for business with other co-workers, which translates into backstabbing just to make $5/hr.

I had a bad experience working retail from a commission based job. You would fight just to talk to someone, and maybe 1 out of 10 times, they'd actually buy something.
Old 05-01-2003, 05:09 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

$10/hr for a student job? The only time I've heard of such a thing is in an internship (engineering internship, specifically). Most student jobs I know of pay minimum wage or close to it. Then again, I'm in Newfoundland which probably has the lowest paying jobs in the entire country....
Old 05-01-2003, 05:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JonBoy
[B]$10/hr for a student job?
Old 05-01-2003, 05:48 AM

Psss...I'm in Canada.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:27 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on your freetime and how hurting for money you are. If you have alot of freetime and are not hurting for money go for it. Otherwise keep the stability of the student job. Also, does the student job lend any experience that could help with your future job/career? If so it would look good on your Resume. You've done sales, so you know how hard sales can be. Certain people have a knack for it and if you are one then it's good.

All this Pssssing...i have to go pee now.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:28 AM
Banned

Well, JonBoy, I do live in the third richest city of Canada A regular, full time student job (not internship, but summer or full time) averages around $8-$15/hr, depending on what ya get

The challenge here is that the commissions job could... *COULD*... lead to higher payout for more effort over the long term. The stability of a student job, though, would be nice. So it's a toss-up
Old 05-01-2003, 07:34 AM

Ah...I see. I had forgotten that there is a lot of manual work that is available in Alberta as well (my brother makes nearly as much as I do and he doesn't have a post secondary education). Are you looking to do "office" work or outdoors work?

Would one typically make more or less in an internship down there (as compared to a regular, full-time or summer student job)?

What are the two cities ahead of Calgary in terms of wealth? I would imagine one is in BC...perhaps both?
Old 05-01-2003, 07:35 AM

Oh, by the way, I'd probably grab the commission job for now but keep looking on the side for a student job (just in case)...
Old 05-01-2003, 08:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by JonBoy
Psss...I'm in Canada.
psss... seung's sorry.

Quick Reply: Should I take this job?