Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Convertible Top in Mid-Ohio---HELP!

Old 01-09-2017, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Convertible Top in Mid-Ohio---HELP!

Hi. New to the site, but have done a fair amount of poking around regarding the convertible top for Year 2000 Honda S2000's. I bought my S2000 on Monday. By Monday afternoon, the original "glass" (plastic) cracked, shattered, and otherwise rendered one hell of an A/C system in our lovely climate.

I did track down Hardtopguy, who everyone seems to talk about, but I need more than just the purchase of a hardtop, or replacement plastic, or going with the (upgrade) to glass (haven't been able to decide which way to do--leaning toward the hardtop or the glass option). At any rate, I'm here in the Columbus area, and would desperately appreciate any insights, including contact details for any folks in the area who can install/advise.

What say you?

Christopher
Old 01-10-2017, 03:17 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Hardtop Guy can't replace your roof? I was under the impression he could do the whole job. Day long job in Cleveland. Don't let the website fool you, the address is a suburban home.

-- Chuck
Old 01-10-2017, 06:22 AM

Chuck, yeah, negotiating with Hardtop Guy. Really tough right now, it seems, because Trump is considering him for a Cabinet position, and he may follow Sessions today, but only if he files the paperwork (not sure why he's the only one required to do so).

Anyway, giving it a thunk to drive up to Cleveland, but have yet to come up with a plausible excuse with my womans, outside of spending more money; she's even threatening to cut-off my allowances.

Any other thoughts? Bueller?

Christopher
Old 01-11-2017, 10:45 AM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

did you operate the top while it was like 30ish degrees out? kinda curious why your plastic failed.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I would just upgrade the soft-top to the offering with the glass window. Even if you did a hard-top, you would eventually still want the functionality and security of a complete soft-top. Depending on your car color, you could even change it up and do a red, or even the OEM blue top with glass window. The top-replacement process is a cumbersome one, but one that most body shops, and certainly Honda dealers could do. I would think in 4 hours. Honda Marysville knows these cars well and it wouldn't hurt to ask them for a quote to do the replacement. Hard tops have always been, and get seemingly moreso each day, expensive. Depending on how you'd use your car, it might be something to consider. Certainly an investment, if nothing else. My vote, (and I would certainly do this to mine were my OEM top not look brand-new) would be to go with the blue OEM top. Unsure about adding the ability to control the defroster in the OEM glass top with a pre-02 car (would need the button, gauge cluster surround from an 02+ (have one of those if you want it), but if the lack of functionality won't bother you - might be worth a look. Looks like prices out there range from high five bills, to mid seven bills.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Another option is to find a used one in the classified section. People take them out when turning theirs into a track car.

Just take yours out whole, install whole new one, frame, motors and all. It is a very labor/tedious job, but can be done.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:43 AM
JHo

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you go with the glass window I believe there is a small difference in the frame. maybe a bumper to prevent the glass from getting crushed. May look into that as well.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:28 AM

Default On ruining a convertible top

JBamin, you guessed it. I was attempting to test the convertible top functionality, and had the great idea of trying to do so in freezing weather, which has been so plentiful here lately.

From looks of your website, seems you do a fair amount of repairs in the Beavercreek area. If you know any folks who can install a new top on a year 2000 S2000, with the glass, would be interested in knowing.

TR
Old 01-19-2017, 05:04 AM

I bought my 2000 S from a Honda dealer in WV last March. They were idiots. They had installed a new top with the plastic window and they did an awful job. The front corners stuck up over an inch from the top of the windshield frame. The wind noise was unbearable and it leaked. I took it J and J auto upholstery here in Cbus and he worked like crazy to fix it. He only charged me $200 and did a phenomenal job getting it back into shape. He was really cool about it and I would highly recommend him.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by t777jb
I bought my 2000 S from a Honda dealer in WV last March. They were idiots. They had installed a new top with the plastic window and they did an awful job. The front corners stuck up over an inch from the top of the windshield frame. The wind noise was unbearable and it leaked. I took it J and J auto upholstery here in Cbus and he worked like crazy to fix it. He only charged me $200 and did a phenomenal job getting it back into shape. He was really cool about it and I would highly recommend him.

In central ky and do work on s2000's as well as other cars. Specialize in electrical work. Tops are 1 day job for me. Dont try to hurry just get them right. Have pics available.

Quick Reply: Convertible Top in Mid-Ohio---HELP!