Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

Cleaning the engine bay

Old 04-24-2006, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Cleaning the engine bay

Ever since I've gotten my vented hood I've noticed that my engine bay has gotten dirtier (not suprising) and I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to wash it? I assume there are areas that I have to be very careful in and use caution. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:15 PM

I use a pressure washer to wash my car and the engine bay. It doesn't damage anything (engine) when its wet. I've seen some detail shop use steam to clean the engine bay. It looks very nice.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:18 PM

Best method I have found is to mist the engine bay with Simple Green and then use a low power (electric works fine) pressure washer hooked up to hot water to spray it all down after it sits for a couple of minutes.

I have read various warnings from folks who are paranoid about doing this, but to be honest I have been using the pressure wand in car washes for decades (ever since they first came out in the 60's) without harming any of my cars. I have occasionally had to take a rag and dry out my distributor cap many years back to get my car to start again, but 5 minutes later I was on my way without further problems.

My only warning is that most engine degreasers like Simple Green will cut through the wax on your car as quickly as they do the grease on your engine. I often use Simple Green (or Dawn dish detergent) to clean up my wax applicators because it is so effective at disolving carnuba wax. Nice stuff to use on a day when you plan on on detailing the rest of your car afterwards.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the tips, guys. I think I'll try one of those out!
Old 04-24-2006, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple Green and Gunk both work well...
Spray down liberally. Let sit. Hose that shit off.
I also use the sponge and regular soap on most of it.
You have a vented hood in PACNW, so you know the bay is waterproof, but I'd watch the pressure on some hose fitting connections perhaps.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:44 PM

yah, I've used simple green for everything while cleaning the engine bay on that silly civic in my garage and it cut right through the 13 years of oil, dirt and nastys that had accumulated. if you have areas that are stubborn just get a tooth brush or detailing brush and give it a quick scrub.

Just don't get the battery terminals too wet. Nothing else under the hood of the S should matter as everything electrical is waterproof and there is no distributor.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:57 PM

So I looked online and there are a bunch of Simple Green products. Which one should I get?
Old 04-27-2006, 06:10 PM

I have always just used the all purpose cleaner dispensed from a spray bottle. Readily available all over the place locally......
Old 04-27-2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by AlanL,Apr 27 2006, 07:10 PM
I have always just used the all purpose cleaner dispensed from a spray bottle. Readily available all over the place locally......
Ok I'll go take a look tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WyattH,Apr 24 2006, 05:38 PM
Simple Green and Gunk both work well...
Spray down liberally. Let sit. Hose that shit off.
I also use the sponge and regular soap on most of it.
You have a vented hood in PACNW, so you know the bay is waterproof, but I'd watch the pressure on some hose fitting connections perhaps.
your car hasnt moved in like 2 years, since when have you HAD to wash it!

Quick Reply: Cleaning the engine bay