Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

No front plate tickets while parked

Old 02-15-2011, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No front plate tickets while parked

So the parking "officers" got me 2 times in the exact same location where I park daily for classes. My car legitimately didn't come with a mounted front plate and so I never put it on.

Is there any way I can fight these? And will I still get a ticket if I place my plate behind the windshield (then just remove it after I get back to the car)?

I've been parking in the same area since September and they just started ticketing me, 2 times this month!

Thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Where are you parking? Is this in Portland?

I have received a ticket for no front plate from the parking patrol people while parked downtown. I contested the ticket and lost.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by #172CR,Feb 15 2011, 11:08 PM

I have received a ticket for no front plate from the parking patrol people while parked downtown. I contested the ticket and lost.
Yup, OHSU south waterfront campus to be exact.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on the office, bring pics to court on your court date with the plate on your car. the officer may choose to dismiss the charge upon seeing the pics or he may let the charge stand and you have to pay the fine. you have a 50% chance, but seeing how you have two in one month if its the same officer they may not dismiss it.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by #172CR,Feb 15 2011, 11:08 PM

how do you contest it?

Is there anything like you can "correct" the citation and have an officer sign off the ticket, then pay for a small amount court fee?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those same guys warned me. I had the plate in the window since I have bumper plugs. He said if he came back in 30 mins he was going to ticket me so I got out two zip ties and put it on the grill and flipped him off.

What a waste of time.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:42 AM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Mega, there would be a lot of ways if it were a cop, but in my case it was the city if Portland parking control.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:40 AM

Oregon law requires a license plate be affixed on the front and rear of the vehicle. So there are no grounds for "contesting" the ticket.

The first time you get a ticket, the fine is $127 if I remember correctly. It is a "fix-it" ticket, so if you send a photo of your car with the front plate fixed to the car, they will reduce the fine - but it is still going to cost you $100.

The second time you get a ticket for the same thing there is no mercy.

Now........ 16 people will jump in here and tell you how many years they've been running without a front plate and never had any issues. But that isn't going to help you....

As government agencies budgets get squeezed, citations become more important as a revenue source. So with the increasing use of photo-stop lights and photo-radar, there will be increasing attention to the front-plate law.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:21 AM

It's up to the ticketing officer's descretion. I took a pic with it on the car and he dismissed it. Of course the plates came off immediately after but im always sketchy driving it w/out it. Debating on putting it back on because I know the next time I'm ticketed w/out plates I'm paying for it. Personally, I don't think its worth the money losr, hassle, and affecting your record. We all know our cars look much nicer w/out the front plates but I just don't think it outweighs the possible consequences. My 2 cent.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by VintageMac,Feb 16 2011, 07:40 AM

The first time you get a ticket, the fine is $127 if I remember correctly. It is a "fix-it" ticket, so if you send a photo of your car with the front plate fixed to the car, they will reduce the fine - but it is still going to cost you $100.
wow.
I didn't know Oregon is even worse than cali in this case.
I got no front plate ticket for more than 3 times.

it's $127.
If you fix it, you will pay $25/$10 (depends on city).

Quick Reply: No front plate tickets while parked