Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

Rules pertaining to Selling Items

Old 09-09-2010, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rules pertaining to Selling Items

I recently read the "rulz????" thread that has now been closed, and it got me thinking. I personally do not like the rule that a member has to be badged to sell something in our local forum.

I think most people can agree that a small government is better than a big one. I feel that my money is just that, mine. I am responsible for how I make it and spend it. It is my sole responsibility for how I use it. That being said, I don't need a CO to help me find someone that might have ripped me off. It was my responsibility to do the research, to decide to buy used vs new, to send money to someone I don't know for something I have never seen, etc etc etc...

In the real world it is buyer beware. If you take the risk than be prepared to lose your money. But it being a local forum, we can most likely do face to face transactions. I have bought/sold several items with local S2ki members and every time it has gone smoothly.

Let the community as a whole decide what is best for its members instead of a few. I say we take a poll and if we get X amount of members (say 25) saying they want the rules changed for selling items, than we make a change. Lets make this a democratic process.

Not knocking on anyone just want to see change in an area where I think the system is flawed.

This has nothing to do with Drives, the way the forum is ran, PPD counts, spaming, just a simple change in who is allowed to sell items. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I commend you for your levelheaded approach, Brandon.

I know Larry already gave you some details, so I wont bother repeating most of them here.

I'll be honest and say based on the couple of times I've been asked to intervene, the person asking didn't care about buyer beware. They may have beforehand, but once they lost out on a couple hundred bucks, their opinion changed and they started asking for help because, well, it's a couple hundred bucks. This is ESPECIALLY prevalent when it's a member of the forum who has taken part in events/discussions/etc. It turns sour and suddenly they vanish for whatever reason, it's pretty hard for a victim to understand that we wont assist them in tracking down one of our "brethren".

I do agree with your point that most of the transactions would be face to face and that does help a lot.

I will repeat Larry's comment to you since most of the others on this forum have been spooked by it before, but:

Since the change in the rules, we havent had any "unknown" people trying to sell parts (because they arent allowed). Since the change, we also havent really heard of any S2k thefts, to Larry's or my knowledge.
It's most likely a coincidence, but a rather uncanny one. Did our change help because the thieves didn't have as easy a venue to sell? Maybe.

You do have to be a paid member to create a poll (just like you have to be a paid member to use the main FS forum), but if you want to PM me and we can discuss the options you think need to be on the poll, I'll see about getting one set up for you. If there is enough want behind it, Larry and I can take another look at some options for altering the ruleset.

Aaron
Old 09-09-2010, 04:48 PM

That sounds very fair. I appreciate you willing to gauge interest in this topic.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I missed out on the 3 page drama last weekend because I was out of town...not that I wanted in on it. I know that Larry & Aaron let badged people post on the "For Sale & WTB" thread, whether they are paid members or not, even though it's out of the S2ki governing rules. Personally, I like the rulz that are in place by our CO's and understand them to protect us. I say that maybe we ought to go back to the original rules of not having our own "For Sale & WTB" thread if people are complaining, and let everyone post their stuff for sale at the "Marketplace", which has a requirement of "PAID MEMBERS ONLY".

Like it or not, it's my opinion. I really don't want to go back to what we had before where our cars were constantly broken into or stolen.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:09 PM

I would be curious to see what could be stolen off my S
Old 09-09-2010, 10:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps the option of allowing people to post a link in the for sale thread to their craigslist ad would be a good idea? (if nothing else...)
Old 09-10-2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by mrcbr600,Sep 9 2010, 02:35 PM
I recently read the "rulz????" thread that has now been closed, and it got me thinking. I personally do not like the rule that a member has to be badged to sell something in our local forum.

I think most people can agree that a small government is better than a big one. I feel that my money is just that, mine. I am responsible for how I make it and spend it. It is my sole responsibility for how I use it. That being said, I don't need a CO to help me find someone that might have ripped me off. It was my responsibility to do the research, to decide to buy used vs new, to send money to someone I don't know for something I have never seen, etc etc etc...

In the real world it is buyer beware. If you take the risk than be prepared to lose your money. But it being a local forum, we can most likely do face to face transactions. I have bought/sold several items with local S2ki members and every time it has gone smoothly.

Let the community as a whole decide what is best for its members instead of a few. I say we take a poll and if we get X amount of members (say 25) saying they want the rules changed for selling items, than we make a change. Lets make this a democratic process.

Not knocking on anyone just want to see change in an area where I think the system is flawed.

This has nothing to do with Drives, the way the forum is ran, PPD counts, spaming, just a simple change in who is allowed to sell items. Just my 2 cents.
Well put and obviously.......
Old 09-10-2010, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by exodusx7x,Sep 9 2010, 09:09 PM
I would be curious to see what could be stolen off my S
Well, I would say if you are selling something don't have people meet you at your house. Pick a Fred Meyers or Home Depot. If they don't know where you keep your car, they can't steal from you.

I would say common sense dictates in these types of transactions. Again my 2 cents.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That would require that common sense be common, Brandon.

More often than not..it isnt
Old 09-10-2010, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sabre,Sep 10 2010, 11:35 AM
That would require that common sense be common, Brandon.

More often than not..it isnt
Very true Aaron!

Can't fix stupid!

Quick Reply: Rules pertaining to Selling Items