Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

Touch up paint

Old 08-11-2012, 11:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Touch up paint

So I have received my oem touch up paint from Hillsboro Honda. ( Thanks Dan for mailing it to me so quickly! )

The real problem is, I tried using it. It made it look very....uh...even more noticable and messy.

So I sprayed pressure water on it and it came off.

Anyone got tips on HOW to do it right?

or is it suppose to look weird.........
Old 08-12-2012, 12:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never done it and I haven't yet with my paint, but my plan was to watch some youtube videos on how to do it properly. Just give it a search there and I'm sure you will find something.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:59 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Doing touchup paint properly is a long and tedious process (especially on a metallic paint) but it should not look "noticable and messy". It should blend fairly well be mostly unnoticable unless you look really closely.

There are a lot of prep steps to do.

Here's a quickie breakdown (I'll go into more detail on some of the steps if you want extra clarification):

1) Wash the car VERY well - After washing re-wash the areas you want to touch up with Dawn as your soap to remove any wax. Using Isopropyl Alcohol also works very well. You want to make sure to remove any protection and have the as bare and exposed as possible so the touchup can dry against it and adhere to it.

2) Wet-sand the chips you want to work on (3000 grit). The goal is two-fold. First is to "rough up" the chip so the touchup paint has something better to adhere to. Second is that most chips tend to have lifted paint on the edges and you want to sand those down level. Soak the sandpaper in a bucket of water for 20-30 minutes, then wrap it around your fingertip and work the chip area only. BE VERY GENTLE! You can also use a sanding block, but you need to make sure to have the sandpaper wrapped tight and only use a small area. Have a spray bottle handy full of water and spritz the area you are sanding regularly. You want to keep it very wet and lubricated. Make sure to dry thoroughly before moving on to the next step.

3) Shake the touchup paint VERY well and then DO NOT use the brush unless you're filling a really big spot. Unscrew the tip and use a toothpick and dip it into the paint just a little. Lift it out of the paint and let the excess drip off and then touch the tip of the toothpick into the chip. The paint should run down and flood the chip area (very small amount)

4) Repeat the process for all the chips you want to fill.

5) Let it dry for about half-an-hour to an hour (depending on the humidity) so the paint is tacky/partially dry but not fully hard.

6) Repeat Step 3 for all your chips. As the paint dries, it shrinks so you will have a paint colored "divot". Re-fill using the same method. Repeat as necessary until the paint is slightly bubbled over the normal paint surface. It should have surrounded the chip edge but not run all over the sides

7) Once it's built up over the paint, let it dry for several hours (parking in the sun can help).

8) Use a claybar and/or 3000+ grit sandpaper and lightly sand the paint fill down to the level of the paint. Be gentle. It should mostly blend with the surround. On metallic paints, the color may be slightly off due to how the flake settles. Also if the chip edges were even slightly lifted, you will sometimes have a dark edge where the fill meets the paint.

9) Polish the chip area to remove the sanding marks and then re-wax
The following users liked this post:
5ive6ix (05-03-2021)
Old 08-12-2012, 07:23 AM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Aaron got to it before me. He's exactly right. It's a process.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a guy that does all of Acura's and BMW dealerships in the area touch up. His name is Mike and his company is called Showroom New. I have had him come out and look at some of my chips to see what he can do. He mixes all of his own paint on site to get a perfect pait match. I even got some OEM silverstone but he said no, he would rather paint match onsite. He has not done my car yet so I cannot tell you his quality but just throwing it out there. The metallics are tricky, I would just let someone that knows what they are doing do it. His number is 360-433-5201
Old 08-12-2012, 10:20 AM

thanks guys! aaron that seem like a ton of work!

I'm too scared to bring sand paper next to my car as I might messed up and make the scratch look even more horrible....

:\
Old 08-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Community Organizer

It is a lot of work to do it properly for sure.
The grit on the sandpaper is so high that the scuffs you make are minimal, especially while wet-sanding.
If I'm ever in the area and have spare time, I'd be happy to show you the steps. It sounds scary, but it isnt as bad as you might think.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:11 PM

haha thanks!

this thing is so irritating :[

aaron, about the tct, you take it apart and sandblast it yourself or have some shop blast it for you?

it getting to me the noise.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:36 AM
Community Organizer

I took it to a powdercoating shop who did it for me. They didnt even charge me because it was so simple.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sabre
I took it to a powdercoating shop who did it for me. They didnt even charge me because it was so simple.

haha i hope someone around here can do it for me. the sound is like killer.

Pull up to someone and the car sounds like i have hamster running on metal wheels.