Orlando The I-4 Parking Lot

Issues at oil change

Old 10-16-2014, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues at oil change

So I changed the oil today and I burned about a quart in 3,000 miles, that's not the issue. The issue arose after i put in a fresh 5 qt and checked the oil cold and then warmed up. Cold it was to the full mark, after a few minutes of it warming up it was at the Low mark. Never noticed it happening before but I can't be positive I've always check after I changed it. Normal? Issue?
Old 10-16-2014, 05:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you reading both sides of the dipstick? I always go with the lower reading, which is almost always the "passenger" side of the dipstick.

In other words, remove the dipstick, wipe it clean, insert fully, remove and flip over to read other side.

If you look head-on at the motor, you'll notice it sits at an angle, towards the passenger side of the car slightly.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:04 PM

Yeah my issue isn't having a problem checking it, it's having such a difference in cold vs engine running levels
Old 10-16-2014, 07:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I always check my oil when it's warm, usually when I stop to get gas.
You're going to have a different reading when you read it hot vs. cold.

After I change my oil, I check the dipstick to make sure it is at the H mark, then I always check it warm.

Some people like to always check it when it's cold. Choose one or the other and stick with it. If it remains consistent that way, you have nothing to worry about.

I think you're thinking about this too much. Don't worry too much about it and you'll be OK.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:20 PM
Community Organizer

Received 218 Likes on 139 Posts

If you only put in 5 quarts, you've put in too little. General consensus is that the car requires 5.5 quarts when you change your oil filter as well, per Billman. Just buy a quart of the same oil and fill it to your preferred level.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:01 AM

Always check the oil when it is warm. Next time i see u at a meet ill look at the car and see if i can find something or see anything wrong
Old 10-17-2014, 05:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I see whats going on.

The first time you checked the oil, the car hadn't been started, right? The oil level was full. Then after you started it, the oil level was low. This is due to the oil filter filling with oil. Perfectly normal, and its why you are missing ~half a quart.

Check the oil warm, but with the engine not running. Let the car sit for 10-15 minutes after warming it, then check it.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:02 PM

Yeah I normally check to warm and off that's probably why it threw me for a loop all of a sudden.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:26 PM
Community Organizer

Received 218 Likes on 139 Posts

They have regularly taken 5.5 to 6 quarts to put the oil on the top X of the dipstick. The owners manual has been wrong for years.

5 quarts of oil will not, nor has it ever, been the specified amount of oil to put in the car. Owners manual says 5.1 with a filter change (this is after filling the filter with oil).

Add oil until you reach the "H" level, or just below. You'll find yourself using just under 5.9 qts.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ViperASR
The first time you checked the oil, the car hadn't been started, right? The oil level was full. Then after you started it, the oil level was low. This is due to the oil filter filling with oil. Perfectly normal, and its why you are missing ~half a quart.
^^^^^ This.

Checking oil level hot or cold is splitting hairs. Just make sure the stick is clean, and you read it properly.

Quick Reply: Issues at oil change