Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

The build begins...

Old 12-29-2006, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The build begins...

...And my car isn't even here yet. So, my friend is driving back my S2000 for me next week from Missouri. I've already started picking out my mods of course, but what little stuff has benefitted you guys the most? What's that thing you guys got and said to yourself "I should have done this a LONG time ago." What was a complete waste of money? The car is going to have a split life as a track car, so I'm mainly focusing on function, but my work requires the car to be a show car so I've got to have both. Also, I know this is covered in a FAQ somewhere, but what is the weakest point in the powertrain? I noticed Comptech sells a reinforced dif housing, but just how bad is the stock one?
Old 12-29-2006, 02:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyDanNiceShot,Dec 29 2006, 02:40 PM
I've already started picking out my mods of course, but what little stuff has benefitted you guys the most? What's that thing you guys got and said to yourself "I should have done this a LONG time ago." What was a complete was of money? The car is going to have a split life as a track car, so I'm mainly focusing on function, but my work requires the car to be a show car so I've got to have both. Also, I know this is covered in a FAQ somewhere, but what is the weakest point in the powertrain? I noticed Comptech sells a reinforced dif housing, but just how bad is the stock one?
Best bang for the buck track mod: Modifry Redline Beeper. Once you try it, you won't want to be without it. Used to be sold exclusively through the Go Fast Lab, but since they went out of busines yesterday, I guess Bob will be back to selling them directly. Google "Modifry Products".

Another mod, also formerly sold by the GFL, is the TC Designs anti-bumpsteer kit. I'd suggest it for an AP1 track car.

As for the weakest point in the powertrain, it is:

1) the driver
2) the adhesion limits of the tires (see #1)
3) the valves if you misshift and overrev (see #1)
4) not checking the oil level often enough (see #1)
5) tranny synchros if you abuse them badly (see #1)
6) for anything else, ask RT because he's probably stressed it to the point of failure (see #1)

YMMV, but the stock diff housing has never failed me yet. It seems to be an issue more with shockloading (drag racing). Same with the clutch.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:04 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, when you say track car ............ what flavor?
Old 12-29-2006, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by RT,Dec 29 2006, 04:04 PM
Yeah, when you say track car ............ what flavor?
Autocross on the occasional weekends, but mainly just fun track days with the clubs.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Dec 29 2006, 03:25 PM
Another mod, also formerly sold by the GFL, is the TC Designs anti-bumpsteer kit. I'd suggest it for an AP1 track car.
Does this have any effect on non-lowered cars, or is it only lowered ones that benefit from this?
Old 12-29-2006, 08:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not really for tracking obviously, but the S-Pods did a lot for my sound system.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by gomarlins3,Dec 29 2006, 09:54 PM
Not really for tracking obviously, but the S-Pods did a lot for my sound system.
I'm not looking for all track only mods. Got to keep the wife comfy.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Noizemaker,Dec 29 2006, 06:21 PM
Does this have any effect on non-lowered cars, or is it only lowered ones that benefit from this?
I think so. My car feels really predictable, even when going over FIA curbs and such. And my car was not lowered for the first couple years I had the anti-bumpsteer arms.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:26 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Dec 29 2006, 03:25 PM
Best bang for the buck track mod: Modifry Redline Beeper. Once you try it, you won't want to be without it. Used to be sold exclusively through the Go Fast Lab, but since they went out of busines yesterday, I guess Bob will be back to selling them directly. Google "Modifry Products".

"Dan", I've got a New (never installed) Modifry Redline Shift Beeper sitting in the garage I'll sell for $45 if you're (or anybody else is) interested
Old 12-30-2006, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by RT,Dec 30 2006, 09:26 AM
"Dan", I've got a New (never installed) Modifry Redline Shift Beeper sitting in the garage I'll sell for $45 if you're (or anybody else is) interested
I'll take that off your hands lemme know

Quick Reply: The build begins...