Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Two more gmail invites available...

Old 09-01-2004, 09:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah, but outlook (and most x86 e-mail clients) are huge security holes. The solution buy a 12" powerbook for everything but gaming
Old 09-01-2004, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had a virus problem at home. At the office is a different story but thats the IT departments problem.

My email has never really got any viruses besides the really obvious ones you don't bother openning. I think the majority of virus's most home users get are from P2P programs. The firewall in my router blocks most of the junk so I don't even run virus scan and haven't had any problems for years.

As for the Apple comment, I don't use apples for anything but video editing. Besides that I don't see why I would use a apple besides you like the look of your overpriced laptop.

I don't see Apple as having more security features just that if I was writing a virus to spread around the world, I wouldn't waste my time trying to get 5% of the computer users in the world who are using Apple computers and instead focus on the other 95% of the computer users on PC's. Not saying apple sux just that their not as great as many of their users make them out to be.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bahula03,Sep 1 2004, 10:53 AM
yeah, but outlook (and most x86 e-mail clients) are huge security holes.
Not when you are running on Linux.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:27 AM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I love my Powerbook.

It IS great.

To me - it's like comparing an S2000 to a Camaro. Sure - PCs offer more bang for the buck - but it's more than raw numbers, isn't it?

If raw performance were all that mattered - I'd be driving a used Z06 - but I'm not.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxGeek,Sep 1 2004, 11:19 AM
I've never had a virus problem at home. At the office is a different story but thats the IT departments problem.

My email has never really got any viruses besides the really obvious ones you don't bother openning. I think the majority of virus's most home users get are from P2P programs. The firewall in my router blocks most of the junk so I don't even run virus scan and haven't had any problems for years.

As for the Apple comment, I don't use apples for anything but video editing. Besides that I don't see why I would use a apple besides you like the look of your overpriced laptop.

I don't see Apple as having more security features just that if I was writing a virus to spread around the world, I wouldn't waste my time trying to get 5% of the computer users in the world who are using Apple computers and instead focus on the other 95% of the computer users on PC's. Not saying apple sux just that their not as great as many of their users make them out to be.
-I haven't had virus problems myself...but like i say, the best anti-virus is a smart user, and unfortunately these seem harder and harder to come buy

-Apples are just as good, if not better than x86 machines, at just about everything except games, and like Jeff said, some people appreciate the design, others don't

-That's the beauty of it, the computer is just as functional, but since there are relatively so few of them, no one bothers to write viruses for them.

Mike- security holes with linux is a similar argument, but a whole different can of worms because of how they get fixed.

...and for the record, I don't own an apple
Old 09-01-2004, 12:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bahula03,Sep 1 2004, 12:58 PM
Mike- security holes with linux is a similar argument, but a whole different can of worms because of how they get fixed.
Not exactly. It makes security much easier when the operating system is not incestuously intertwined with the applications and the data.

It also makes security better when you run your applications as an unpriviledged user rather than as the superuser. That's not even possible on older versions of Windows, and it's still not the default for most home users.

I agree that all computers have vulnerabilities, but the huge security holes in Windows are largely due to the design choices of Microsoft, not the relative size of the installed user base. Consider that the majority of web servers run on Linux or Unix systems, but IIS still gets hit by the most attacks.

Anyway, we're getting off topic.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:40 PM
lig
Community Organizer

Back on topic -

6 more invites available

just shoot me your email addy if you want one.

And yes - part of what I enjoy about the PowerBook is the sheer elegance of design
Old 09-08-2004, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is all part of a plan to strip your rights away :-(

Volentering to have your private emails saved and scanned by who knows......Americans are being slowly brain washed All for some free email space..........freakin sad.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:06 AM
lig
Community Organizer

whoa.

I guess you don't want to try gmail.

Honestly - the "Patriot Act" worries me a bit more than google scanning my emails for a way to sell ads...
Old 09-08-2004, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After subscribing to that Auto-x list serve you'll need the 1000MB of space! They weren't kidding when they said you'll get a lot of email. Now I don't feel so lonely!

Quick Reply: Two more gmail invites available...