Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Self Videos with DSLR camera

Old 10-03-2011, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Self Videos with DSLR camera

I have a Canon T2i, I gave it to my girl to do Youtube Tutorials to find out she is unable to focus the lens without having to press half way down on the shutter button. So I used google and found some remotes. RC6, B&H etc. But majority of those only describe the product for stills. Would they work for focusing during videos?

If anyone can please help.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:09 AM

Typically SLR are great for video if you have a stationary subject. Focusing an SLR while recording will cause either the video to stop or noise will be picked up by the mic. I have seen the best results when shooting a stationary subject or keeping the focus stationary while moving the camera. Examples: Interview, or focusing on a road 20 feet in front of the car then driving the car around as you past things they come into then out of focus as they pass.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:44 AM

Yeah SLRs kind of stink for focusing on video. At least the Canons do...

They don't continuously auto-focus, although IIRC some of the newer Nikons may.

It seems like something they could fix with a firmware update, but it should be an option, because unless you're using external mic (which I'm not sure T2i supports), the autofocus is VERY loud on the video.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:43 PM

They cannot "fix" it with a firmware update, it has to do with the complexity of the physical mechanism, focal range of the lens, and the method of the AF sensor grid. The noise is from the autofocus motor which is... yep, right by the microphone.

Find me an effective autofocus system on a 35mm video camera. You're supposed to use manual focus, that's why the ring is there.

Asking for autofocus on a 35mm video camera is akin to walking into a ferrari dealership and asking why your 6-speed won't drive itself.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ted H
They cannot "fix" it with a firmware update, it has to do with the complexity of the physical mechanism, focal range of the lens, and the method of the AF sensor grid. The noise is from the autofocus motor which is... yep, right by the microphone.

Find me an effective autofocus system on a 35mm video camera. You're supposed to use manual focus, that's why the ring is there.

Asking for autofocus on a 35mm video camera is akin to walking into a ferrari dealership and asking why your 6-speed won't drive itself.
I think you completely misinterpreted me, or just don't understand the question.

The T2i has focus for video -- by holding the button down. There are some cameras that continuously auto-focus when recording video. This WOULD be fixable in a firmware update since it is software-based. I can understand why it'd be undesirable since there'd be a constant noise from the autofocus mechanism, which I am well-aware is near the mic, however it should be an OPTION. Especially considering my T3i has an external mic input.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:28 PM

Okay, but how many video cameras have a reliable autofocus that are 35mm? The focal range of the lenses requires a sophistication far beyond what is found in a typical video camera.

Perhaps the T3i uses a different focusing mechanism during video than either my 5dii or 7d, but both of my cameras use different methods of single point focusing (based on exposure, etc) than their normal AF when in video mode. This AF is clunky, less effective than normal, and takes forever to find a sharp point. It also flickers exposure while finding focus. I'd recommend becoming comfortable with manual focus. Only the human brain-at the moment-can really rack or follow focus in a video-appropriate manner.

Originally Posted by Jorsher
Originally Posted by Ted H' timestamp='1317761008' post='21039232

I think you completely misinterpreted me, or just don't understand the question.

The T2i has focus for video -- by holding the button down. There are some cameras that continuously auto-focus when recording video. This WOULD be fixable in a firmware update since it is software-based. I can understand why it'd be undesirable since there'd be a constant noise from the autofocus mechanism, which I am well-aware is near the mic, however it should be an OPTION. Especially considering my T3i has an external mic input.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:00 PM

Manual focus is definitely the better option, since you don't have to wait for AF to "find" the focus, but my only point was some other brands give the option despite how not-good it is, and Canon should as well IMO. There's nothing wrong with giving the option.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:10 PM

I have a T2i, and manual focus is the way to go. The eye does it way better, and most real photo rigs are pure manual anyways. What you want to do is do what the pros do it then, if they are self shot. Measure the distance between the tripod, and where she plans to set, and set the focus according to the lens by the distance of the subject. Mark the area with gafers or a small piece of tape, and have at it.

I love my T2i for vids!
Old 10-20-2011, 06:34 AM

T2i is actually a very capable DSRL for video, especially if you mate it with Magic Lantern firmware.

This provides additional control over both video and audio as well as additional on screen information such as metering, and audio levels, which really helps to insure you are getting the best lighting as well as the sound isn't too quiet or too loud.

The firmware is free, and it doesn't write over the standard canon firmware, it simply sits on top of it in your memory card.

I actually prefer to shoot video with my t2i over the 7D just because of this handy little piece of software.