Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

almost got into an accident today

Old 01-03-2005, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default almost got into an accident today

holy crap... i got freaked out
my car has been slipping to my rear right lately... im not sure why... am i suppose to put less psi in my tires because of winter?
but i was on 16th ave... going like 70 staying at a steady rate.. then my rear end all of a sudden slipped to the right and i spun out..... went through both lanes... one car knicked my car... but only broke his headlight... no damage to my car... he said he didnt care so we both just left.....

so now im even more freaked out...i was driving in a straight line not accelerating ... and my car kicked out
Old 01-03-2005, 12:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Your tire pressures should be between 30 and 32 psi. What you experienced is not unusual. I was out today and the road surface and ambient temp is just at the point where there is minimal traction and much caution is required. You should learn to drive in a higher gear than you're used to so that the engine rpm can be kept lower, thus putting less torque to the drive wheels. This is something that you must get accustomed to. In time you will learn just what gear to be in for any given road speed. You will also learn to feather and "work" the clutch as you take off to reduce wheel spin. You'll also figure out instinctively how to use your steering to correct for any slight tail happyness that may be a result of slippery conditions. You'll also instinctively alter your throttle position and use your clutch when needed. In these conditions, you are basically driving down the road in a controlled skid. Until you master these skills, go slower than you would normally.
Also, whenever possible, drive on the parts of the lane that has a bit of gravel for better traction. Following in the tire tracks of other vehicles may not be possible all the time, but will give better traction if you can.
Drive in such a way as to maintain a "buffer" zone at all times. IE, keep people out of your "bubble".
Old 01-03-2005, 12:33 PM

yeah my car has been kicking out lately... but i have controlled them call... and i was driving in 6th gear going around 70.... i thought i was used to it.... its just weird because the roads are clearer compared to went there was a huge snow storm before with ice everywhere... i didnt seem to have a problem before
Old 01-03-2005, 12:39 PM

6th gear at 70 is too high. There is so little torque down there that when you do want to accelerate, you have to apply a fair amount of throttle. Once the power comes on, 6th gear will spin the tires even faster than if you were is a more "appropriate" gear. I'd go 4th at 70 and be more throttle sensitive with your foot.
This is by far, the WORST, kind of road condition you'll find. This is black ice time. The ground is cold but the sun is shining, making for the first millimeter of ice and moisture to be at its slippery-est.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:46 PM

Yeah, this morning was about as bad as it can get.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:28 PM

thank goodness... i thought i was going crazy that it was harder to drive today

oh... all this time i thought it was better to be in a higher gear so that you dont put to much accelration onto the rear tires
Old 01-03-2005, 01:34 PM

...almost wiped out a few times this morning (on my bike though!)
Old 01-03-2005, 01:57 PM

im taking 32nd ave home!
Old 01-03-2005, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 4doorj,Jan 3 2005, 03:28 PM
oh... all this time i thought it was better to be in a higher gear so that you dont put to much accelration onto the rear tires
Generally, this is true, but the unique nature of our torque curve makes it weird. Being in a higher gear pushes the threshold of impending wheel spin up a bit but when it goes, it spins worse.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:36 PM

i just heard off the radio vibe 98.5... there are tons of accidents right now... maybe almost 10.... and then ton of reports of black ice everywhere including deerfoot.... so i guess im not the only one!!!
drive safe everyone!

Quick Reply: almost got into an accident today