Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Looking at moving to Calgary...

Old 07-21-2005, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at moving to Calgary...

... and was hoping for a little (un)biased feedback/advice/suggestions.

I work from home, commute isn't an issue, more interested in a neighbourhood with similar demographics - "younger" people with school aged children. We're looking for a newer area, would really like a 3 car garage, walkout would be nice too. I have friends and family scattered throughout the city, but mostly they live in the N/NW (District A on mls.ca)

Price, less is always better (more $$ for toys), but somewhere in the 3 to 5 range is what we'd planned. Maybe a bit more if it was the perfect house.

Any thoughts on towns like cochrane, airdrie, or okotoks?

Thanks, eh?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a 3 car garage in calgary, you're generally in the 450+ area for a new home. Unsure of what you could find an older home w/ 3-car garage for, but they're still probably up there as that type of thing is going to be in an upper-end, mature neighbourhood (and likely with less younger people).

The NW definitely gets my vote as far as living in Calgary goes. There are so many nice neighbourhoods that are close to shopping, schools, etc. The drive into downtown isn't particularily far, either.

If I were going to live in a town outside of Calgary, I'd probably pick Cochrane. Really nice golfing, smaller town feel (Airdrie just feels like Calgary's bedroom), and really pretty.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:30 AM

Are you interested in building? If so you get get an awesome home with a triple car garage in the NW in your budget.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:36 AM

yeah 3 garages were very popular like 10 years ago... now it would be sooo expensive just bcause of the prices of lots these days

yeah i would choose the NW too! new neighborhoods like tuscany/panarama/ coventry hills... all close to everything... except a mall

im moving in that area next year
Old 07-21-2005, 08:43 AM

All you need for a 3 car garage is a corner lot.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by koala,Jul 21 2005, 10:10 AM
If I were going to live in a town outside of Calgary, I'd probably pick Cochrane. Really nice golfing, smaller town feel (Airdrie just feels like Calgary's bedroom), and really pretty.
I agree. Cochrane and Okotoks are both very scenic and nice if you like the small-town feel (but not quite like Corner Gas ) but Airdrie is kind of on the bald prairie. Your budget would easily put you in Calgary though.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:49 AM

what about schools? A lot of new areas don't have schools nearby and kids spend a fair amount of time on the bus.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Woodson,Jul 21 2005, 10:43 AM
All you need for a 3 car garage is a corner lot.
Yeah as long as a builder is willing to work with you on slightly altering the blue prints, doing a corner lot w/3 car garage is fairly simple (basically the driveway faces the side street).

I've seen it done, it works well
Old 07-21-2005, 09:15 AM

Yeah, the guy across from my new place has it and it works well. That way it doesn't look like you have a massive garage blocking the front of the house.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The NW gets my vote as well. There are so m any options in that price range too, a fellow on my close has a triple car garage, you simply need the right sized lot. Take a look at Tanglewood/Tusslewood just off Twelve Mile Coulee road in the NW, there are some great existing homes there or you could build a new one.

Quick Reply: Looking at moving to Calgary...