Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Maintainance wait time at T&T / clutch problem

Old 09-10-2004, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintainance wait time at T&T / clutch problem

In the last couple of days I've been noticing some problems with either my clutch or transmission (more below). I just finished calling T&T (because of Ian's club affiliation) to make an appointment and the earliest appointment I can get is September 23rd!!! Obviously I can't wait almost 2 weeks to get this looked at so I guess I'll have to try somewhere else. I don't mind waiting the time if I'm bringing it in for regular scheduled maintainance but for more of an "emergency" check and service I can't wait that long. I was also hoping to get the tail light recall done at the same time. Sorry T&T but a 2 week booking is out of the question.

Has anyone experienced a problem with the clutch not releasing the transmission properly? In the last couple of days I've notice that it doesn't want to go into the gears as easy or smoothly. A few times it's also started to grind when going into third and I've had the clutch pedal fully depressed (a slow shift so I know it's not driver error releasing the pedal too early). Another thing that's happening is: when coming to a complete stop, transmission still in first & clutch pedal to the floor, (when almost at a full stop) it sounds like the transmission is still partially engaged. It makes a slight grinding noise at the same time. With only 69,000 km I'd be surprised if the clutch is already done, and I don't dump the clutch at high rpm's.

Any suggestions or comments?

Mike.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's the clutch fluid looking? Is the reservoir at least full to the proper level?

Ohh, and LUV2REV, you got some work done over at Honda West? What did you think? I'm on the hunt for a dealer myself.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Mike, like Chris says, try a clutch fluid flush and change. You track the car and I think the clutch fluid takes a beating in such cases. After the fluid change, if the situation doesn't resolve itself, take a look at adjusting the little rod at the pedal. Who knows, maybe the locknut has come loose and that rod has spun around.

I know that Honda West has done some S2000 clutches. See if they can get you in. Doodlebug knows the service guy.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:42 PM

Before I checked the forum this afternoon I called Calgary Honda (thought I'd give them another try). They told me to stop by and they would take a look. I just got back and the service tech does think there is a problem with the clutch disengaging. They booked me in for Tuesday morning (would have been Monday but the tail lights wouldn't be in yet) and are going to take the clutch apart for inspection. Apparently they just did someone else's S2000 clutch a few days ago so they'll be pretty familiar with what needs to be done. It may need to stay at the dealership for an overnight sleepover.

I did check the clutch fluid and it is full, perhaps a bit on the dirty side though. Seeing as they will be taking apart the clutch (and thus replacing the fluid) I suppose I'll leave it alone.

After talking to Calgary Honda today I was pretty surprised at the reaction I got from T&T. They didn't even suggest that I bring it by for a quick inspection. I know I haven't had my car serviced there yet but you would think that they would try to get me in the door. Thumbs up to Ian and the parts department...they are excellent!
Old 09-10-2004, 02:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I sincerely hope Calgary Honda will do right by you. I have heard absolute HORROR stories about them. They can't seem to be able to do a simple oil change or spark plug recall without botching the job big time.

As for the clutch job, it is not necessary to change the fluid or even open up that system, so I doubt that they will do a flush. They only need to remove the slave cylinder from the side of the tranny but the hydraulics stay intact. They won't change the fluid unless you specifically ask.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:09 PM

I'll pass this situation along to the Mgt of T&T Honda. FYI, This time next year this issue will be permanently dealt with with the opening of our new premises which will be filled with state of the art equipment and tons of capacity. Sorry for the wait hope Calgary Honda is able to cure the clutch issues.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since T&T is so busy, I would suggest Crowfoot Honda. They did the clutch TSB on my '01 and it turned out perfect.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I highly recommend Steve Allen at Honda West, Steve has been to every S2000 training course. He knows our car inside and out. He is the only Tech at Honda West who works on the S2000. The service manager (Bernie M) is a great guy as well.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:31 PM

Yeah,....sounds like the clutch fluid (same as brake fluid) is toast......probably the original hydraulic fluid that came with the car.......should probably be changed every couple of years (which no one does). You know what happens after brake fluid gets old....and moisture gets in there......pedal goes down...gets soft....doesn't activate the brakes.....same goes for the hydraulically activated clutch and it's fluid (often brake fluid).

Reijo
Old 09-12-2004, 05:03 PM

I had this problem as well.

I also had the peddle feel like a queer eye for the straight guy episode.

Dave and the folks at Speedstar said change out the clutch fluid. Voila feels like a new car.

Quick Reply: Maintainance wait time at T&T / clutch problem