Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Valve Adjustment

Old 08-15-2011, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Adjustment

Hey Guys,

I broke down and scheduled an appointment at a dealer to have my valves adjusted. I am throwing this out there if anyone wants to give me a hand I have plenty of beer and pizza to go around on any night of the week/weekend. I'm not quite comfortable doing it on my own and would certainly appreciate the help. I've got a new head gasket coming in and bought feeler gages but couldn't work up the courage
Old 08-16-2011, 07:58 AM

I think you meant you bought a new valve cover gasket, the head gasket goes between the head and the block, and swapping that out is much more involved!

It's really not that difficult. If you want nerve wracking, try swapping in the AP2 retainers...

How soon are you looking to sort this out? How much did the dealer quote you? If I wasn't in the midst of swapping engines on my Benz, I could lend a hand. But remember - the only thing to fear is fear itself. I bet you could have it all done in about two or three hours. I think it took me about three hours the first time, the second time about an hour and a half.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:44 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Read up on all the DIYs on the site. Make sure your engine is cold. Take out the specified feeler guages and bend the ends so that you can easily slide it in/out of the clearance without putting any sideways pressure on it. Having the special valve adjustment tool will make it easy/faster but can be done without. A good torque wrench. I dont worry about TDC,etc. Just keep turning your crank slowly until each set of cams is pointing up and outwards on the same cylinder. (easier when you see it being done...it will make sense, basically you are unloading all pressure from the valve to the cam) If your valve cover gasket is in good conditon, clean the mating surfaces and reuse it. Be careful installing the valve cover bolts, if you are not careful, you will snap them. I would go as far as to just snug them up if you know what I mean...using a torque wrench could give you poor results on that part.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:38 PM

Depending on when you do it I might be available. Lemme know if you want some unskilled labour.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:08 PM

I'm def not in too big of a rush to do, I definately want to get it done before mid September though. I cancelled the dealer appt. so I think I might give it a shot this Sunday after autox. If anyone wants to swing by feel free to msg me!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't mind seeing what all is involved in person so when the time comes I know what to do, but it will have to depend on whats going on that day.