headlight modification (for performance) - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

headlight modification (for performance)

Reply

 
 
 
Old 03-21-2018, 07:58 AM
  #1  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 631
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default headlight modification (for performance)

Hey everyone,

So my car is still in storage for the winter but as I am prepping for warmer weather, I had a few questions.

My head lights on the 2006 s2000 are dim as heck.

1. Perform headlight restoration - I have done this a few times but after a few weeks it wears off and goes back to the haze. I am looking at buying opti coat lens to keep it from wearing away easily.

2. Do HID bulbs eventually dim after time? I have had the car since 2012 and I bet they are the original bulbs from the factory.

3. I know ap1 had clear lens that the retrofit community went after for awhile, would switching the lens make a difference? Are there any color modifications to do to the beam like in the retrofit world?

Thanks.
desii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:09 AM
  #2  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 399
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Try using a 2k clear coat after removing the haze.
Midnightdennis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:18 AM
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 57
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by desii View Post
Hey everyone,

So my car is still in storage for the winter but as I am prepping for warmer weather, I had a few questions.

My head lights on the 2006 s2000 are dim as heck.

1. Perform headlight restoration - I have done this a few times but after a few weeks it wears off and goes back to the haze. I am looking at buying opti coat lens to keep it from wearing away easily.

2. Do HID bulbs eventually dim after time? I have had the car since 2012 and I bet they are the original bulbs from the factory.

3. I know ap1 had clear lens that the retrofit community went after for awhile, would switching the lens make a difference? Are there any color modifications to do to the beam like in the retrofit world?

Thanks.
From my experiences with headlight lens restoration on a couple different vehicles, it never lasts. Even paying a detailer to polish them up only lasted a year at most.

HID bulbs do dim and sort of "fade" after time. You can replace just the HID bulbs with some new OEM bulbs, or go with a more white 5500K or 6000K HID bulb for a little better light output.

From what it looks like, the S2000 headlight lens is pretty poor quality. It seems there are a lot that haze/fog/yellow from time in the sun. Mine have a ton of tiny cracks in the lenses. I'm in the middle of fitting new lenses off of some aftermarket headlight assemblies to my stock headlights. I'll share some pics after its all finished up if you care to see them.
treimche is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:22 AM
  #4  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 631
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by treimche View Post
From my experiences with headlight lens restoration on a couple different vehicles, it never lasts. Even paying a detailer to polish them up only lasted a year at most.

HID bulbs do dim and sort of "fade" after time. You can replace just the HID bulbs with some new OEM bulbs, or go with a more white 5500K or 6000K HID bulb for a little better light output.

From what it looks like, the S2000 headlight lens is pretty poor quality. It seems there are a lot that haze/fog/yellow from time in the sun. Mine have a ton of tiny cracks in the lenses. I'm in the middle of fitting new lenses off of some aftermarket headlight assemblies to my stock headlights. I'll share some pics after its all finished up if you care to see them.
That would be great. I know there was a thread floating around a while back about using aftermarket lens over the oem housings but wasnt sure about the fitment. Once your done, pictures would be very helpful
desii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:30 AM
  #5  
Registered User
 
rpg51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,544
Thanked 50 Times in 45 Posts
Default

You can also drop the big bucks and get new oem headlights.
rpg51 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:35 AM
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 57
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

It would be great if some company made and sold just new lenses. I got lucky and got a super cheap pair of new Anzo aftermarket headlight assemblies off Amazon for $74. Snagged the last set of them, now the price went WAY up. But even if someone just made new lenses at like $150/pair, they would sell like crazy. It's not hard to change them at all.
treimche is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:07 AM
  #7  
Registered User
 
MarcusDubya77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 270
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by treimche View Post
It would be great if some company made and sold just new lenses. I got lucky and got a super cheap pair of new Anzo aftermarket headlight assemblies off Amazon for $74. Snagged the last set of them, now the price went WAY up. But even if someone just made new lenses at like $150/pair, they would sell like crazy. It's not hard to change them at all.
This is the truth! Some folks did this for Audi B7 platform and we all were constantly buying.
MarcusDubya77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:43 AM
  #8  
Sponsor
 
JS2k.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,077
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by desii View Post
Hey everyone,

So my car is still in storage for the winter but as I am prepping for warmer weather, I had a few questions.

My head lights on the 2006 s2000 are dim as heck.

1. Perform headlight restoration - I have done this a few times but after a few weeks it wears off and goes back to the haze. I am looking at buying opti coat lens to keep it from wearing away easily.

2. Do HID bulbs eventually dim after time? I have had the car since 2012 and I bet they are the original bulbs from the factory.

3. I know ap1 had clear lens that the retrofit community went after for awhile, would switching the lens make a difference? Are there any color modifications to do to the beam like in the retrofit world?

Thanks.
1. I'd recommend sanding / polishing until it is clear, then applying a layer of clear coat on top of it so that it lasts.
2. Yes, HIDs do get dimmer
3. Lens swaps to clear lenses (instead of fresnel in 06+ S2000s) will result in a more intense beam below the cutoff and a more colorful cutoff. Fresnel lenses found in 06+ diffuse the light better above the cutoff, and you have a better, more usable beam for longer ranges. People like the do the clear lens swaps because going over uneven pavement + coilovers + short wheelbase of the S2000 results in the headlights flickering from white to blue to purple.
JS2k.com is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:48 PM
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 57
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by JS2k.com View Post
1. I'd recommend sanding / polishing until it is clear, then applying a layer of clear coat on top of it so that it lasts.
2. Yes, HIDs do get dimmer
3. Lens swaps to clear lenses (instead of fresnel in 06+ S2000s) will result in a more intense beam below the cutoff and a more colorful cutoff. Fresnel lenses found in 06+ diffuse the light better above the cutoff, and you have a better, more usable beam for longer ranges. People like the do the clear lens swaps because going over uneven pavement + coilovers + short wheelbase of the S2000 results in the headlights flickering from white to blue to purple.
^^^^^ this guy should make some clear lenses to go with the clear diffusers
treimche is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:52 PM
  #10  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 399
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JS2k.com View Post
1. I'd recommend sanding / polishing until it is clear, then applying a layer of clear coat on top of it so that it lasts.
Completely agree. Not sure why many are persuaded by the lens replacement approach. A proper polish and clear coat would arguably take less time, money and last a while.
Midnightdennis is offline  
Reply With Quote

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: