S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

OEM AP1 Front Lip

Old 11-09-2016, 02:23 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Hfreak - did you install it yourself or did a body shop do it? My sebring silver ap1 front bumper cover will be replaced at local high quality body shop in a couple of weeks. I have a Bayson r lip in my garage and I am trying to decide whether to have shop paint it and install it at the same time. What exactly does the weather strip do and where is it installed? Is it visible from outside? Is the weather strip painted?

How is yours holding up?

I am weighing whether to do this or not. Is the main reason you added a lip cosmetics? I suppose if the bumper get buggered up over the years you can either refinish or replace it. Replacing the bumper is about $850 complete at local shop. Refinish only I would guess will come in at about $500-550. LIp is less to replace I suppose. Still, other than the cosmetics improvement having a lip I'm not sure I will do this. Not much difference in future cost refinishing lip v. refinishing bumper.

BTW - yours looks really nice. Well done.

Janus00 - yours looks great too. Is it holding up well?

Last edited by rpg51; 11-09-2016 at 02:29 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:06 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
Hfreak - did you install it yourself or did a body shop do it? My sebring silver ap1 front bumper cover will be replaced at local high quality body shop in a couple of weeks. I have a Bayson r lip in my garage and I am trying to decide whether to have shop paint it and install it at the same time. What exactly does the weather strip do and where is it installed? Is it visible from outside? Is the weather strip painted?

How is yours holding up?

I am weighing whether to do this or not. Is the main reason you added a lip cosmetics? I suppose if the bumper get buggered up over the years you can either refinish or replace it. Replacing the bumper is about $850 complete at local shop. Refinish only I would guess will come in at about $500-550. LIp is less to replace I suppose. Still, other than the cosmetics improvement having a lip I'm not sure I will do this. Not much difference in future cost refinishing lip v. refinishing bumper.

BTW - yours looks really nice. Well done.

Janus00 - yours looks great too. Is it holding up well?
Hey rpg51, I had a few parts professionally painted in the spring but I installed everything myself. At that time I had an OEM bumper cover for the front and rear with a BaysonR lip for the front and an ASM(rep) bumper painted. I only had the OEM/BaysonR combination on the car for a week and the installed the ASM cover.
There will be a small amount of finishing work to be done to the lip but it is not by any means extreme. It fit very well out of the box. The weatherstripping is a finishing touch that gives it an "OEM" look and keeps any dirt and grime from getting between the parts, it also hides any imperfections. The weatherstripping is applied to the lip after the painting is complete then the lip is mounted to the cover.
The following users liked this post:
Dundertaker (05-24-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 07:16 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I am still on the fence about whether to install this Baysonr lip or not. I had it painted by the shop when they replaced and painted the new front bumper cover. It went into storage immediately after that was done and I am looking at another month probably before it comes out of storage. Hfreak - could you explain with a bit of detail how you installed the lip?
Old 05-24-2017, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man....this forum makes life so much easier. Part, weather stripping, etc....all ordered and waiting for delivery to get started on install. Thanks for taking the time to share. I bought a nice higher mileage (almost 200K) AP1 and the lip took a monster (or several) hit on a curb and it's really the worst part of the car (other than the graphics the previous owner added). This will at least help make it "presentable" for me without busting the budget on a "ride and drive" weekender.

Dundertaker
Old 05-24-2017, 04:41 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

This is a great community and happy to be part of it, enjoy your car.
The following users liked this post:
Dundertaker (05-24-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 07:02 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

PSA:
I've ordered 4 of the top rated aftermarket AP1 OEM lips to compare and honestly Bayson-r is the winner.
Bayson-r wins due to the straightness of the top edge hands down, and is pre-drilled. The others were obviously pulled from the mold and have a lot of waviness.
The other 3 I received literally all look like the the same lip. 2 of them actually shipped from Ikon Motorsports directly but all 3 have the same characteristics and are not drilled/same hardware.

Pics:

Bayson-r on the left, notice the finishing done to the edge that would be the most unsightly on our cars

Fitment of Bayson-r, one small spot I'm planning on "knocking down" a slight edge, and I'm going to "square" the edges where it wraps around the wheel arches for premo fitment.
Other than that, take a look.. it's just resting there but still has a tight fitment

Links to items purchased:

Bayson-r (still the king!)
OE-Style Front Lip (Urethane) Fits 00-03 Honda S2000 AP1

Other ebay (C-)
00-03 S2000 AP1 T-R Style PU Front Bumper Lip Spoiler eBay

Amazon 1 (C-)
Amazon Amazon

Amazon Ikon (C-)
Amazon Amazon

Genuine Honda molding:
Amazon Amazon
The following 3 users liked this post by j0oftheworld:
516S2K (09-29-2017), BlueTeg (09-15-2017), WilloW (01-22-2021)
Old 10-21-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Does the BaysonR come with the weather stripping? The molding link on the Amazon site says it will not fit an '01.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:09 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
Does the BaysonR come with the weather stripping? The molding link on the Amazon site says it will not fit an '01.
None of these lips come with the molding.
The molding material is just a bulk generic black molding they use on any car so don't worry about what Amazon says.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:06 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I wonder which weatherstrip color would go best with Silverstone, grey or black?
Old 11-02-2017, 09:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm happy I found this thread. My 03 OEM lip is cracked in about 4 different places. It's nice to see that a good replica exists.

Quick Reply: OEM AP1 Front Lip