S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Putting on the replica ap1 front lip

Old 11-18-2010, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting on the replica ap1 front lip

Okay guys i posted on earlier about my lip but now i got it painted (for free!!!). I was looking at the holes on the lip and the ones on the car, im guessing for the OEM lip maybe, and they don't match up. My question is do i just have to drill new holes or what should i do?

So far my plan is to put the 2 screw in each side that goes near the wheel and then use some of that good adhesive double sided 3M tape, the kind that you wipe down an area and then it sticks super good. I think im gonna have to remove the wheels so that i can screw on the lip.

Here are some pictures of how the lip turned out, holes on the car and bumper, and the screw that came with the lip:

Yes i know, its a messy garage, but still park my baby inside.

Also here is a thread i started when i first got the lip and all of the other hardware that came with the lip, but i don't plan on using anything but the screws:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=825958
Old 11-18-2010, 08:57 PM

3m double sided tape would work I guess. You should also add some 3m double sided tape around all the edges of the replica, so that it doesn't scratch up the paint on the bumper. I'm sure you don't have any gasket material with the replica, pretty sure the OEM has some gasket material that comes with the lip.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:26 AM

Yeah it didn't come with any gasket material, so do you think i should just drill new holes in the bumper?
Old 11-19-2010, 04:28 AM

I think it depends on how likely are you to rub it against the floor. I have this other car with a front lip and it bottoms out sometimes, but because the lip actually grips the bumper pretty good just by cliping on to it, all 4 of my screws are actually already shot, but the lip stays fine. Not sure about the replica fitment and how well it stays on S without any help.

I would try to match the bumper wholes since I don't know if I will shot the screws by drilling next to it or not. I'd get some washers too since the lip already had holes and you are not drilling exactly on those.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohh so your car must have had an OEM lip on it, so it already has holes in the bumper right? Mine never had holes in the bumper at all until I made the ones to screw my lip in. If they dont match up, just use a tiny drill bit that is smaller than the screws, and line the lip up where you want it, and drill the holes in the bumper. Then just take your screws and screw them into where you drilled and it will hold fine.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:41 AM

Alright thanks suzuka thats what I plan on doing! I wish the person just left on the OEM lip if it was once on it. Do those holes on my bumper look like the ones that would match up to the OEM lip?
Old 11-19-2010, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem, yeah i'm pretty sure thats what remains if you remove the OEM lip. Somebody must have sold it for a little money before selling the car.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:35 AM

Here is the final product with my goofy friend in the car, its not perfect but well worth $50.