S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Alignment

Old 10-21-2016, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment

Hi, not sure if this belongs here but I got my alignment today and it seems that my left rear camber can't get into stock specs, it's maxed at 0.59 degrees when it supposed to be at -1.5 degrees. See the image for the spec sheet, is this something I need to be concerned of and what should I check for?

Thanks for any help.

Name:  alignment.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  137.4 KB
Old 10-21-2016, 09:28 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

There is a specific way and order in doing an alignment on the s2k. You may have gone to someone who isn't familiar with this method. Read the following as I ended up walking the guy who did my alignment thru the process and I got it where I need now:

https://robrobinette.com/S2000Alignment.htm
Old 10-21-2016, 09:30 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

BTW the first time I went there he was maxing out stuff and unable to get it to the specs I wanted because he did camber, toe, and caster in the wrong order. The second time I walked him thru it and there was also a guy who worked there who had an s2k.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:33 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I bought my 02 s2k this summer. It had just 8.5K miles on it. Original tires. Hardly any use. The original rear tires had almost no tread left. Even wear. Fronts had a lot of tread left with even wear. Given the age of the tires and since I needed rears anyway I decided to take the opportunity to get some ap2 v3 wheels and new tires. I installed Bridgestone S04 tires. I have put about 7K on the new tires. The rears are just about shot. Fronts have a lot of life left. I am not sure why the rears are wearing so fast. Maybe its just the way it is. I drive moderately on street only. Spirited. No sliding. Most good back country roads - a little highway driving, not much.

I've decided to have the alignment checked and reset if necessary just for peace of mind mostly but also to determine if perhaps the rear alignment is off and causing premature tire wear. Its hard to be sure but I think I have a good shop with a mature mechanic/owner who has a lot of experience with sports cars including s2ks. He has a very good reputation and my own experience with him is very positive.

Is there any reason given my type of use to do anything other than oem alighment specs? Suggestions?

Any thoughts about the rear tire tread wear?
Old 10-22-2016, 02:36 AM

Can't edit so I'll add this - the car drives well. Straight as an arrow. Handles great. No worries there that I perceive. I'm no expert. But I don't perceive any problem with performance.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:43 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
Can't edit so I'll add this - the car drives well. Straight as an arrow. Handles great. No worries there that I perceive. I'm no expert. But I don't perceive any problem with performance.
There is nothing at all wrong with a factory AP2 alignment for daily use.

Your car likely has excessive toe in currently.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by 604Stook
Hi, not sure if this belongs here but I got my alignment today and it seems that my left rear camber can't get into stock specs, it's maxed at 0.59 degrees when it supposed to be at -1.5 degrees. See the image for the spec sheet, is this something I need to be concerned of and what should I check for?

Thanks for any help.

Either you have bent/damaged parts...or the alignment guy was not familiar with S2000's and got frustrated/gave up.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
There is nothing at all wrong with a factory AP2 alignment for daily use.
Mine is AP1 not AP2. That make any difference?
Old 10-26-2016, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by rpg51
Mine is AP1 not AP2. That make any difference?

Yep. AP1's have more agressive toe curves and more static toe in from the factory to tame oversteer a little.

I'd see where you're at with the alignment as it sits. 8k miles on a set of S04's seems like excess wear unless you're driving the hell out of them. People were typically getting 16ish K miles out of their factory S02's with factory alignment and suspension setups. Back (in the cretacious period) when I bought my AP1, I shopped quite a few stock AP1's with 15-20K miles still wearing (bald) factory rear tyres.

The one I bought with 18006 miles had the original fronts and brand spanking new, dealership replaced rears. I'm assuming the original rears lasted 18k miles. The car was a 110% stock MY00.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:38 AM

I see. I'll tell the guy to put it at factory specs and live with some excess tire wear. Hopefully I find it was out of wack and I'll get some improvement on the tire wear. I have my doubts given the mild driving and low mileage and poor tread wear on the original tires and now these 17" S04's at just 8,500 miles. Seems unlikely the alignment is out of wack. But, its worth a shot. He is doing this alignment today so I'll know tonight.

Quick Reply: Alignment