S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Ball Joints: Question regarding Buddy Club & J's.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:08 PM
Jub

Received 386 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by MRPHIPHI
The buddy club is adjustable but the boot starting to tear off on mine after 7 months being used. I haven't even track the car yet. I would go with either Spoon or J's imo.
I've used skunk2 adjustable upper arms on my past integra. At some point, I read that the ball joint itself was a quality piece but the rubber boots were junk. The solution was to replace it with a new OEM boot. I'm wondering if the s2k stock boots will fit on aftermarket joints as well. That being said, I have gone with hardrace parts for motor mounts, bushings, essentially any rubber parts after doing research on the topic. I never had an issue but also did not use products for longer than 2 years.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:27 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by No.Division
Make sure you get the newer boot design on the J's. I bought replacements from Evasive, one came in the newer style and the other didn't. The older style boot ripped in one track weekend as it doesn't compress as well.

Which boot is the newer one, left or right? I got my Hardtace ball joints in yesterday and I'd almost bet they're the same supplier as J's, or is that not possible? The aluminum is anodized the same color. The boot looks the same. Maybe I'd have to look closer to tell a difference.

Anyway, back to my initial question: My Hardrace ball joints came with the boots like the one on the right, is this good or not?

Anyone with Hardrace on can you tell me if you have the same boot as I do, and if so, have you had any problems?

Not trying to sound picky. Just wanna make sure I dot my I's and cross my T's and try to get it right the first time?

Thanks for any feedback.

P.S. On initial impression, the 32mm Front sway seems to be of good quality and finish. Lookin forward to trying it out on my '01 AP1 as well.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:27 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

^Neither of those look like mine. New J's RCA are red.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New replacement ball joint that Evasive keeps in stock is the one on the left.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:27 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirk180
Thanks guys. I ordered the Hardrace ball joints. Ordered the Hardrace front sway bar as well. So I'll be sure to let everyone know what I think of it all after getting it on the track.

Here's the sway:

http://www.buyhardrace.com/product/h...s2000_315.html
You're welcome.

Originally Posted by Kirk180
Originally Posted by No.Division' timestamp='1471466055' post='24041557
Make sure you get the newer boot design on the J's. I bought replacements from Evasive, one came in the newer style and the other didn't. The older style boot ripped in one track weekend as it doesn't compress as well.

Which boot is the newer one, left or right? I got my Hardtace ball joints in yesterday and I'd almost bet they're the same supplier as J's, or is that not possible? The aluminum is anodized the same color. The boot looks the same. Maybe I'd have to look closer to tell a difference.

Anyway, back to my initial question: My Hardrace ball joints came with the boots like the one on the right, is this good or not?

Anyone with Hardrace on can you tell me if you have the same boot as I do, and if so, have you had any problems?

Not trying to sound picky. Just wanna make sure I dot my I's and cross my T's and try to get it right the first time?

Thanks for any feedback.

P.S. On initial impression, the 32mm Front sway seems to be of good quality and finish. Lookin forward to trying it out on my '01 AP1 as well.
I believe mine came with the boot on the left if I recall correctly. I'll have to look when I get a chance (easier said than done with 3.5" of clearance).

The J's, Megan, and Hardrace ball joints are made by the same supplier most likely as they are identical except for badging and color. The J's do come in a blue, but the red is most common in pictures that I have seen.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:52 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Fokker, trying to get a second opinion here to see if No Divisions was an isolated event. Did you change your boot out to the other one, or is your boot like mine (seen on right hand side of pic)? I know you said yours were good after 20k miles. So I thought I'd ask. Thanks!
Old 08-22-2016, 12:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

notice on the new style too that the boot attaches a different way, also the nut and the threaded shafts look to come phosphate coated now.