Better upgrade for ap1? Ap2 rear subframe or rear bumpsteer kit - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > Special Interest > S2000 Brakes and Suspension
Reload this Page >

Better upgrade for ap1? Ap2 rear subframe or rear bumpsteer kit

S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.

Better upgrade for ap1? Ap2 rear subframe or rear bumpsteer kit

Reply

 
 
 
Old 01-03-2018, 12:16 PM
  #1  
Thread Starter
 
mojo_jojo77777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 382
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default Better upgrade for ap1? Ap2 rear subframe or rear bumpsteer kit

Dont believe I've came across this topic while searching, but what are thoughts about this with cost set aside? I know rear bumpsteer kits can be had for over half or 1/3rd price of doing AP2 rear subframe swap. What would be most beneficial in making most difference in correcting bumpsteer and handling?
mojo_jojo77777 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:23 PM
  #2  
Sponsor
 
THMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,592
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Default

The easy way is to do the rear bumpsteer kit, you won't get nearly as much toe change throughout the stroke as stock. There should be some threads mapping AP2 toe change and AP1 toe change with and without the toe arms.
THMotorsports is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to THMotorsports For This Useful Post:
mojo_jojo77777 (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 01:36 PM
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Illnoise. WAY downtown, jerky.
Posts: 3,963
Thanks: 0
Thanked 88 Times in 79 Posts
Default

I went with a subframe.

I'm cautious...and would rather have OEM parts for points/classing at time trial events...and because aftermarket ball joints worry me. Especially ones with a bending load added to them.

After selling my AP1 parts, I was out maybe $200?

I got AP2 UCA's, spindles, rear bar, and subframe. LCAs and toe arms are the samesies.
B serious is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to B serious For This Useful Post:
LaosguyAP1 (01-11-2018), mojo_jojo77777 (01-03-2018), THMotorsports (01-03-2018), ZDan (01-04-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 10:10 PM
  #4  
Thread Starter
 
mojo_jojo77777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 382
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by B serious View Post
I went with a subframe.

I'm cautious...and would rather have OEM parts for points/classing at time trial events...and because aftermarket ball joints worry me. Especially ones with a bending load added to them.

After selling my AP1 parts, I was out maybe $200?

I got AP2 UCA's, spindles, rear bar, and subframe. LCAs and toe arms are the samesies.
I'm not worried about points/classing, because I only do HPDE track days just for fun. But I would like to start tweaking the car more to make myself more confident in it. I'm coming up on 235k miles on all original bushings in car, and since I'd have to do some replacing soon, thinking about ideas on which route I will want to take with car suspension setup wise. seems like the aftermarket way is the quick and easy route, but the OEM route seems like it might cure it better
mojo_jojo77777 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:34 AM
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,732
Thanks: 0
Thanked 146 Times in 132 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mojo_jojo77777 View Post
...seems like the aftermarket way is the quick and easy route, but the OEM route seems like it might cure it better
Summarizing responses:

Aftermarket toe correction is easier to implement

Initial cost is cheaper with aftermarket, but if you sell off old stuff, subframe isn't all that expensive

Replacing subframe is more work, but likely to be more reliable, and more effective for the desired result (minimize toe change)

If there is ever any damage, its probably easier to find replacement parts for the oem solution

It sounds like replacing subframe is the more bulletproof solution, and only drawback is effort involved.
Car Analogy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:02 AM
  #6  
Sponsor
 
THMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,592
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Car Analogy View Post
Summarizing responses:

Aftermarket toe correction is easier to implement

Initial cost is cheaper with aftermarket, but if you sell off old stuff, subframe isn't all that expensive

Replacing subframe is more work, but likely to be more reliable, and more effective for the desired result (minimize toe change)

If there is ever any damage, its probably easier to find replacement parts for the oem solution

It sounds like replacing subframe is the more bulletproof solution, and only drawback is effort involved.
If you're replacing the subframe, now is also a great time to install these rigid subframe collars I make

THMotorsports is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:17 AM
  #7  
Sponsor
 
THMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,592
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Wow, I just looked up the price on the toe arms, they're dirt cheap. It's almost cheaper to buy another set of arms than it is to buy a used OEM arm. Sheesh.
THMotorsports is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:06 AM
  #8  
Community Organizer
 
s2000Junky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 26,662
Thanked 136 Times in 127 Posts
Default

Megan rear bump steer kit has my vote

Id be interested to see a graph comparison between a proper set up bump steer kit and OEM/Ap2. Id be surprised if there was much difference. Cheap and easy is what I tend to go with if the aftermarket parts are proven, and they are for me in this case.
s2000Junky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:45 PM
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,817
Thanked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Default

BSK is cheaper and easier; however, i'd consider it a wear and tear item that requires proper maintenance and replacement.

If you have the resources and mechanical know how, i'd do OEM-AP2.

On track failure below from a local that I've tracked with and taken ride-alongs with:
Bullwings is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:29 PM
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Illnoise. WAY downtown, jerky.
Posts: 3,963
Thanks: 0
Thanked 88 Times in 79 Posts
Default

^yup.
B serious is offline  
Reply With Quote

Quick Reply: Better upgrade for ap1? Ap2 rear subframe or rear bumpsteer kit


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service