S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

considering Ohlins DFV's or TTX36's

Old 03-26-2013, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default considering Ohlins DFV's or TTX36's

working my way from a totally stock '00 to a better suited track day car, i've picked up some volk 17x9.5 +47 with advan neova 255/40's on them, a brembo bbk and now looking for suspension. as the title states, i'm trying to decide between the DFV's and the TTX36 2-way with 650/550 set up. i'm leaning toward the TTX because of the increased rear travel and it sounds better performing than the DFV.

i drive the streets and do 1 to 3 track days a month. i'll prolly pick up a cheaper wheel set for street use and make the volk's track only.

i was a track day junky on sport bikes and am now making my way into the 4 wheeled world on the track. any knowledgeable advice or suggestion is appreciated. that includes sway bar rec's, camber & possible clearance issues, etc...
Old 03-26-2013, 10:36 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll need to roll your fenders but you'll need to do that with any suspension.

Have you seen this thread?
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/830...__ttx+bilstein

You really can't go wrong with the TTX's
Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the dfv's and am very impressed. There is oodles of travel, too much in fact for my like. About the only complaint is that the spring rates could be higher than the 10/8kg

They cope very well with track use.
I can't compare to ttx though
Old 03-27-2013, 12:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i really like ability to adjust separately bump and rebound....
Old 03-27-2013, 05:24 AM
Former Moderator

That's why I went with TTX's
Old 03-27-2013, 07:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TTX is a great system, though I have always felt it to be a bit overkill for anything short of a top level racecar or nationally competitive autox car. There is so much that can be made up in driver skill that the TTX doesn't warrant the cost. You can use the money saved for more seat time and other mods.

If we can help with anything, please let us know.

Austin
Old 03-27-2013, 07:31 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by GT Motoring II
The TTX is a great system, though I have always felt it to be a bit overkill for anything short of a top level racecar or nationally competitive autox car. There is so much that can be made up in driver skill that the TTX doesn't warrant the cost. You can use the money saved for more seat time and other mods.

If we can help with anything, please let us know.

Austin
I'm all ears

when isn't the driver the number one mod

Dampers don't make someone fast, they only give you the confidence to push a bit more. For me if the car isn't doing anything funky then I feel more inclined to push a bit more, that doesn't mean that the thing I was feeling will slow someone else down with more experience or someone that simply ignores these things.
They might make a larger difference with a less experienced driver like myself vs a professional driver who pushes passed that funky feeling because he knows its nothing.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by macr88
I'm all ears

when isn't the driver the number one mod

Dampers don't make someone fast, they only give you the confidence to push a bit more. For me if the car isn't doing anything funky then I feel more inclined to push a bit more, that doesn't mean that the thing I was feeling will slow someone else down with more experience or someone that simply ignores these things.
They might make a larger difference with a less experienced driver like myself vs a professional driver who pushes passed that funky feeling because he knows its nothing.
I didn't in any way mean to come off as saying that they are not worth the money, or that you were in the wrong for buying them. I just simply meant that when you are looking at spending 1/2 to 1/3 the value of the car on suspension that you should really look at the cost/benefit analysis and ask yourself if the money is best spent there or elsewhere on the car or on experiences with the car. Keep in mind this is my personal opinion and not that of the shop.

You are correct, parts don't make a car fast, the driver does...until you get to a certain level where setup and functionality of parts can gain you another fraction of a second. I'm of the mentality that you should spend most of your money on the seat time because on track, the car can be taken away from you in the blink of an eye. As long as you are alive and kicking, the skills you attain on track should stay with you. The car, however, may not.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

To the guy that said the DFVs have tons of travel you must be smoking something. I have them and I wish they had more travel. I have bumped the spring rates to 650/550 and I'm very happy with them their. Shocks seem to be able to handle the increase in spring without any issues at all. I'd love to be 700/600 but I'm afraid that might be just a little too much.

Overall I'm incredibly happy with them. I don't do enough serious driving to warrant a $5k suspension setup. I'd love the TTX stuff but for me it just wasn't the right choice.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Friends car has the dfv and he put some 800/700 springs on there and the car feels verry good. Driven it at autox and as a passenger on the street and it is not too stiff at all.

Quick Reply: considering Ohlins DFV's or TTX36's