S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb
View Poll Results: Corner Balancing
I think it's the best thing since sliced bread
24.00%
I think it's way over rated
4.00%
It can help get you the last tenth out of the car
32.00%
I can corner balance without scales
0%
Don't care
0%
Don't know
26.00%
I'm fast with or without
6.00%
Most people don't know how to do it and I don't have scales so I don't do it
8.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Corner Balancing

Old 01-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Corner Balancing

Let me know what you guys think.

I think if you're special enough to take advantage of it then you should be racing professionally.
I also think that it should take lots of measuring that most people don't do.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to properly answer the question, i simply don't know what corner balancing is...can someone elaborate?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mrwilliams, cornerbalance is, in short, ensuring that the sum of the weight on diagonal wheels is equal to, or close to, the sum of the weight on the other two wheels. So LF + RR should = RF + LR. This is affected by spring preload and/or coilover length. Google it for more info.

Sup Mac.

Atleast checking your corner balance after installing new suspension parts (especially after installing coilovers or making large height changes) is a good idea. If it's within 5%, you're good go go.

If you need that last tenth of a second on the autocross course and you're the best driver ever, get it within 1%.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:42 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I think you have to be capable of consistently using 10/10ths of your car's potential on the track before you'd notice the difference in being corner weighted or not.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:08 AM

i didn't vote, cause i think the options are kinda jacked up (almost all of them are saying it is worthless).

i got my car corner balanced when i installed my new coilovers. i did it how i autox the car, with me (sandbags) in the driver seat and all the other junk out. i think it is very important to get close to 50/50, whenever you change suspension stuff around. you have gotta believe that honda carefully considered this when they designed the suspension originally and there are ride height specs in the service manual for good reason.

now, i think that ballpark is very, very important, almost to the level of just being safe to drive on the street. but, beyond that i think you really are talking about tenths of a second and to be honest it just doesnt matter that much to me.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomie,Feb 2 2010, 10:08 AM
i think the options are kinda jacked up (almost all of them are saying it is worthless).

The poll options are very bias .
Old 02-02-2010, 04:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel like it's almost a shame not to treat it the way Shigeru Uehara wished.

It's the right thing to do
Old 02-05-2010, 11:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on too many factors to make a lump statement like "it's great" or "it will only help you if you're a professional driver". Driver skill is important, but so are things like driver weight, how the suspension was installed/set, alignment settings, etc.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:28 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

There probably isn't a track in the world where 50.0/50.0 corner weights are optimal, so spending excessive time and aggrivation to get there is kinda pointless. If you have the time/money/expertise to *truly* optimize suspension settings, you'll be judging corner-weighting/weight-jacking by tire temps, tire wear, and lap times and not by how close it is to 50/50.

I'd ditto what Suspension said, for most of us, within 5% is going to be fine if you're doing suspension mods and have the adjustability. Without mods, don't worry about it.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:34 AM

i wish there was a choice for, important, but not exact. like i said earlier, i think it is key to be close, but i am not gonna throw it on the scales every time i run a new tire pressure.

Quick Reply: Corner Balancing