S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

CR strut/spring install and ABS sensor replacement

Old 07-01-2018, 05:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CR strut/spring install and ABS sensor replacement

My S is an 07 NFR with 64K miles on it. To freshen up the suspension I installed CR struts/springs, and also got the CR front swaybar (not installed yet). Everything came from Hardtop Guy...primo experience. The fronts were easy, but I had problems with the rears: started with the left rear and couldn't compress the spring, so I tried a couple of times with a pry bar and then remembered a DIY using the scissors jack and a couple of 2"x4" blocks and that did the trick. Got everything bolted up and when I started the car, the ABS light stayed on. Sure enough, I'd cut the ABS sensor cable when using the pry bar. Ordered a new on and finally got around to installing it today...it was close to 100 degrees here in Lafayette, La. When I started the car the darned light was still on, so I disconnected the battery and checked the brake fluid, as well as the float. One thing I did notice was that the removable filter insert has a bevel which clears the float and I had installed it so the bevel wasn't over the float and kept it pushed down a few mm. I installed it in the correct orientation, re-connected the battery and started it up...VSA light still on. I took it out for a drive any way, and before I cleared the driveway, the light was off. Plans include 245 square using AP2 rear knockoffs, Girodisk front rotors, Urge rear rotors/modified rear caliper, upgraded radiator, Lambert Automotive aluminum brake ducts F/R with vacuum cleaner nozzle intakes mounted on lower control arms (or thereabouts), racing pads, SS brake lines and a Cusco 5pt bar. As for restraints, I plan on a 6 pt with possibly a Backyard Special mount. The crotch straps can be installed like Boss 302 straps. There are a variety of straps available to keep harnesses from sagging off shoulders when used with a stock seat. Again, this is for 4-6 HPDE a year. So far, I installed a carbon fiber CAI which mates with the stock airbox (gutted), Ballade 70mm throttle body (weak instructions) and the silicone intake, hi flow cat and Flash Pro tune. To reduce intake temps when on track (HPDE) I'm thinking of bringing a supply of reusable ice packs and wrapping them in small towels to prevent condensation from getting into the throttle body and putting them in the airbox prior to each run. Would this be effective? Thanks
Old 07-01-2018, 08:04 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

The ice packs will take up airbox space which will have a negative effect. The ice packs will reduce the air temps, but only way to find out by how much, and if its enough to offset space used up by packs, and if its worth it overall, is to try it. Measure intake temps, add ice packs, repeat same test on same day, see how temps reduced.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The ice packs will take up airbox space which will have a negative effect. The ice packs will reduce the air temps, but only way to find out by how much, and if its enough to offset space used up by packs, and if its worth it overall, is to try it. Measure intake temps, add ice packs, repeat same test on same day, see how temps reduced.
Good point, but the gel packs I plan on using are less than 1" thick and I figure I'll only need two at a time, and they will fit separately along the floor of the box, so I think the volume decrease will be negligible. I remember seeing bluetooth enabled remote temp sensors somewhere on a site and I will get one and try to fix it right at the throttle body so that I can get an accurate intake air temp reading.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:41 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Periodoc
Good point, but the gel packs I plan on using are less than 1" thick and I figure I'll only need two at a time, and they will fit separately along the floor of the box, so I think the volume decrease will be negligible. I remember seeing bluetooth enabled remote temp sensors somewhere on a site and I will get one and try to fix it right at the throttle body so that I can get an accurate intake air temp reading.
As you are doing HPDE why so much concern about intake temps? Worried about detonation or trying to get another .1% of HP out of the engine?
Old 07-02-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Once a long time ago when our power was out for a week due to a hurricane, I went and got some dry ice for the fridge. I put the ice in the middle, cause thats the shelf it fit best.

All the stuff below the ice stayed nice and cool for many days. All the stuff above the ice was just as warm as before I added the ice.

Lesson learned, heat rises, cold falls (technically its still heat rises, and the cold just drops in its place).

So you'll need those ice packs suspended from the airbox lid, not on the floor. Maybe use something like a motorcycle bungee web, or some deer netting or something.

Also, towels are likely to just end up getting sucked away and plug up the filter. Can't be enough condensation to worry about. Leave them out.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch
As you are doing HPDE why so much concern about intake temps? Worried about detonation or trying to get another .1% of HP out of the engine?
The concern is the heat and humidity here in South Louisiana and Texas and the Southeast. Temps on the track can be 115 to 120. Cooler air equals a happier engine.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:24 PM

Great observation and makes sense to me.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Once a long time ago when our power was out for a week due to a hurricane, I went and got some dry ice for the fridge. I put the ice in the middle, cause thats the shelf it fit best.

All the stuff below the ice stayed nice and cool for many days. All the stuff above the ice was just as warm as before I added the ice.

Lesson learned, heat rises, cold falls (technically its still heat rises, and the cold just drops in its place).

So you'll need those ice packs suspended from the airbox lid, not on the floor. Maybe use something like a motorcycle bungee web, or some deer netting or something.

Also, towels are likely to just end up getting sucked away and plug up the filter. Can't be enough condensation to worry about. Leave them out.
Great observation and makes sense to me.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Periodoc
The concern is the heat and humidity here in South Louisiana and Texas and the Southeast. Temps on the track can be 115 to 120. Cooler air equals a happier engine.
Theres plenty of us southerners that are tracking our S2000's without having to resort to your proposed idea of ice packs. Cooler air I feel like should be the least of your concerns. I as well as tons others here in Houston do many HPDE days without concern for cooler air. So you'll be fine. And some of the locals here even run NASA TT. If you do want to reduce some temps. Id suggest something easy (might be hard to find quantitative data) and bypass the coolant hose to the throttle body. If anything, since you are in south, oil temps and tire temps I think would be of bigger concern.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:44 PM

Good to know. Can't get any info here in Lafayette about s2K's and tracking. Thanks.

Quick Reply: CR strut/spring install and ABS sensor replacement