S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

HKS Hipermax iv GT coilovers

Old 05-21-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 1,251 Likes on 947 Posts

Depending on the springs, they do often settle a small amount in about 500-1K miles.

But...the car is lowered without re-clocking the bushings to the new ride height, it will stay artificially high until the bushings tear or stretch....which is obviously bad.

If the car is significantly higher than you projected, its likely a sign that the clocking bushing step was left out. S2000 bushings are very stiff and add quite a bit of rate to the suspension.

You have to loosen all pivoting bushing joints and then re-tighten them to your new height. If you're not familiar with this reference...then its a bad sign lol.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys! Im waiting on my two week mark before getting the car aligned. Although looking at the height now, I think the fronts have settled about a quarter inch, so there is no more wheel gap in the front. The back is about one finger gap right now, from two finger before. I've played around with the damping last night, and I don't really notice the small increments much. So just out of curiousity I dialed it into the stiffest setting... and its stiff. The car practically feels like its got no suspension, especially since I live in SF, the roads there are always under construction. Literally every bump feels like it went up my spine, so im planning on dialing it back to maybe 22-24 clicks from softest at this point.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:21 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Just installed my HKS Max IV GT. This is how it sits just after the install. I checked the damper setting and they are all in the middle. I can only compare these to my stock shocks with 85K miles and these GTs are smoother than stock. I have no other coil over experience and I travel through Van Nuys and North Hollywood and think it is one of the worst areas to travel in Southern Cal. Will wait for the coils to settle before making any more adjustment. I am really happy with HKS so far.

Last edited by vicrc; 11-20-2018 at 05:23 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-20-2018, 05:40 PM

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

I have Ohlins R&T right now but thinking back, the HKS hipermax iv gt was a bargain and a perfect coilover for a street car/weekend warrior.

What's the price of these nowadays?
Old 11-20-2018, 07:57 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I ordered mine through THMotorsports for $1212.08 shipped. I at least went with a vendor that frequent this board and with the lowest google price. I was thinking of the Ohlins but it is $1k more and I may not even track my s2000. I rather put the money on a new soft top as mine has a few small rips.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:58 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Orjinal
I have Ohlins R&T right now but thinking back, the HKS hipermax iv gt was a bargain and a perfect coilover for a street car/weekend warrior.

What's the price of these nowadays?
Same! It had just come out and there weren't any reviews though. That being said, I don't regret buying my Ohlins either.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

any more first hand experience now that it's been a while? I'm debating getting these or Bilstein PSS/PSS9 for my street-only car
Old 12-03-2018, 04:22 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Hakkaboy
any more first hand experience now that it's been a while? I'm debating getting these or Bilstein PSS/PSS9 for my street-only car
Just recently, one of the guys in our chat (you aren't in our local chat right?) said he felt the springs were a bit too soft on the GTs and that he was having a hard time adjusting them (not sure if he was too low though).
Old 12-04-2018, 09:03 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
Just recently, one of the guys in our chat (you aren't in our local chat right?) said he felt the springs were a bit too soft on the GTs and that he was having a hard time adjusting them (not sure if he was too low though).
hahaha thanks, yes I'm in the group but there's literally hundreds of messages so I usually just mass skip them from time to time
Old 12-04-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

I still like mine, but I only street drive and don't push very hard.

Quick Reply: HKS Hipermax iv GT coilovers