S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Need new shocks, Koni STR.T?

Old 08-21-2015, 04:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need new shocks, Koni STR.T?

Only had my car a few days been going over everything closely, all good but looks like I have a slightly leaking rear shock. It's a 2005.

Can someone recommend replacements that are similar to stock? I don't want to lower the car so I'm really just looking for some replacement shocks that will be similar to OEM without breaking the bank.

Anyone have experience with the Koni STR.T "Orange" shocks? They almost look like the yellows to me but not adjustable. Otherwise please give any recommendations, keep in mind I don't want to lower the car at all and I don't really care if it's adjustable.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-21-2015, 06:34 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Strt's are not similar to yellows. Different damping profile. Although, since yellows are adjustable...maybe they're similar on a soft setting.

Anyway....I think the OEM monotube, external oil reservoir (in the rear) shocks are better than Koni STRT's. I believe Honda uses the external reservoir for adequate oil capacity on the S2000's short stroke rear suspension.

Why not just snag a whole low mileage AP2 suspension set for cheap? Its not common to see leaking or totally blown shocks below 100k miles on these cars.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a good idea too... I'll keep my eye open for a set.

If I were to buy new everything I've read on the forum seems to say the Koni yellows are the preferred option. I'm comfortable installing them but I don't really have any expertise with suspension geometry. Is it easy to adjust them to be similar to stock and have consistent settings on each side? I assume it's not ideal to have unbalanced shock settings.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:25 PM

Koni yellows are not threaded. They are height adjustable via 2 or 3 pre set positions for height.

You'd install the perch to the position meant for stock height. That way, all heights are set the same and it remains at stock height.

Setting damping is set by turning a knob a certain amount of degrees. Turn to full hard. Then back off (X) degrees. Do the same for the other side to ensure they're evenly set.

Finding a damper setting position is your call. Whatever setting feels right to you, basically.

You'll also need to drill out your tophat bushings to fit the Konis (no big deal).

I'd still rather get a used set of good condition Honda spring/shock assemblies. The stock dampers are already set to match the springs, and they're actually pretty good.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:37 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Another option to consider, CR springs and shocks. But I agree lightly used OEM is a good solution.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the koni orange shocks on my DD 89 hatch...needless to say I was not impressed. they feel similar to the OE struts i took off with 220K miles. I will be replacing them ( probably with the yellows) soon enough. for something that is just a boring, daily the oranges may be ok. But if you are looking for any kind of performance I'd go yellow at least.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:36 PM

^what springs are you using with your oranges on your civic? Neither yellows or oranges are meant for an agressive drop. They're both stock length shocks.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
^what springs are you using with your oranges on your civic? Neither yellows or oranges are meant for an agressive drop. They're both stock length shocks.
OE springs. no drop. they just seem cheep and barley an OE replacement. I had to modify the shaft just to get them to fit. it was a PITA. also they developed a squeak within just a few months of daily driving.