S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

New Ohlins DFV Road & Track Coilovers (HOS MI21)?

Old 11-17-2018, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so whats the verdict old or new?
Old 11-18-2018, 11:35 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

^ just going by what we know so far, old is preferable to new based on spring rates but the rear travel issue is yet to be determined on exactly how it was resolved in the new since no new hardware was implemented in it.

i kept reading the email response from ohlins posted by another member and couldn't see how they got that extra 15mm of additional travel on the rears (started with 35mm stroke and ended up with 50mm stroke for both bump and rebound), especially when they already were suggesting 10mm preload. could it be internal cartridge changes?
Old 11-19-2018, 06:35 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by cenix
^ just going by what we know so far, old is preferable to new based on spring rates but the rear travel issue is yet to be determined on exactly how it was resolved in the new since no new hardware was implemented in it.

i kept reading the email response from ohlins posted by another member and couldn't see how they got that extra 15mm of additional travel on the rears (started with 35mm stroke and ended up with 50mm stroke for both bump and rebound), especially when they already were suggesting 10mm preload. could it be internal cartridge changes?
I'm going to lose my entire mind.

They made changes to the lower adjustment cup at the rear shock to fix the preload issue of the original kit. This is a pretty important improvement, and should render the old kit completely obsolete.
The following users liked this post:
Chris Thomas (07-21-2019)
Old 11-19-2018, 07:49 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_

They made changes to the lower adjustment cup at the rear shock to fix the preload issue of the original kit. This is a pretty important improvement, and should render the old kit completely obsolete.
The lower cups looks identical between the kits though, and even if there was some change how would that affect the preload?
Hope your mind is still intact
Old 11-19-2018, 08:32 AM

this is what i thought too based on the later responses, so i'm guessing newer version seems to be better as the rear shock issue is addressed.

wondering if there are real life cases where people had old and new and are able to comment if the new is truly better. probably too early to tell at this point.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:39 PM

lol anyone else want to chime in old vs new? going to pull that trigger in the next few days
Old 11-23-2018, 10:36 PM

Berni posted pics of the new DFV, scroll up to see. Do the rear lower cups look the same as the previous setup from Ohlins?
Old 11-25-2018, 04:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by noodels
Wish I had the lower plastic ring spacers
After some research I found some info on the dimensions of the Spacer Rings:
ID: 64,6mm
OD: 84mm
Thickness: 2mm
Material: Nylon (probably PA6 - just my guess)

In my opinion, they can be manufactured quite cheap.

Originally Posted by 623baller
lol anyone else want to chime in old vs new? going to pull that trigger in the next few days
I would go with the old one or with Sakebomb who will customize the kit to your needs.

Originally Posted by cenix
Berni posted pics of the new DFV, scroll up to see. Do the rear lower cups look the same as the previous setup from Ohlins?
Does anybody have the new dimensions?
Old 11-25-2018, 01:17 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

S2ki members, we keep getting the same messages and questions about the new shock set, so we thought it would be beneficial to list out the differences between the old and new kits. Here are some facts and technical details:
Front stroke: Decreased for HOS-MI21 vs HOS-MI20
Rear stroke: Same for HOS-MI21 vs HOS-MI20
Spring rate: HOS-M21: 11/7kg HOS-MI20: 10/8kg
Factory Preload: Functionally the same between the new specs for HOS-MI21 (10mm) and the revised HOS-MI20 (9mm)
Cost: HOS-M21: $2500 HOS-MI20: $2100

We can absolutely set up the new HOS-MI21 to be a fantastic shock set, but we have some different spring and setup recommendations as far as front and rear preload, spring rates, etc. This also was/is the case for the Old HOS-MI20 kits... we were able to set these up very nicely as well, but typically recommended "non-standard" spring rates (such as 12/10, with rear billet lowering cups) to resolve issues like rear stroke. These recommendations also vary depending on your use case for the car (track or street), Tire Stagger (square vs stock stagger), Tire compound, and Sway Bars. Spring rate is spring rate, and linear stroke is linear stroke... we've modeled the suspension in CAD and our custom calculators, and we are confident with our recommendations as we literally win races on them.

If you are interested in a set and want to know more about setup please email us at info@sakebombgarage.com ... we can run a calculation for your setup, and talk to you about your use case. This will dictate preload, spring rate, and setup requirements. The cost of every chassis consultation can be applied to any set of suspension for 90 days (and also comes free with the purchase of any Ohlins suspension set from us). https://www.sakebombgarage.com/chassis-dynamics-and-suspension-tuning-consultation/

https://www.sakebombgarage.com/s2000/suspension/

We are out of stock on the discontinued HOS-MI20's, but do have the new HOS-MI21, FPSport, and FPSpec Ohlins DFV's!

Last edited by SakeBomb Garage; 11-25-2018 at 01:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Chris Thomas (07-21-2019)
Old 11-25-2018, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by JagoBlitz
Does anybody have the new dimensions?
Per Sakebomb's response, it appears the rears were physically left the same. @SakeBomb Garage can you confirm the valving and rear lower cups are the same without changes from the old MI20 setup?

General rant: it irks me that some people will comment about absolutes without all the facts.

Quick Reply: New Ohlins DFV Road & Track Coilovers (HOS MI21)?