S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Ohlins DFV Shocks installed

Old 04-23-2013, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ohlins DFV Shocks installed

I finally got my shocks put on this evening, after receiving them several weeks ago. I was very impressed with the quality of all the parts, and of the instructions. I installed them using all of Ohlins default values as far as preload, shock body length, and number of clicks on the adjusters. We measured ride heights after install, and the car was perfectly even side to side.

I've only driven about 10 miles so far, so I'll be adding to this as I get more experience with them. I also installed a brand new set of Michelin Pilot Sport tires in the stock sizes, so I've got to wear off the mold release and get an align before I push the car much at all.

I will say that the ride and general impression of excellent damping are both as advertised. The car's body motions feel completely under control, without being harsh.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:27 AM

LOL. 1:30 in the morning. Can't sleep, thinking about the drive to work.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:10 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

You should be happy with them. I've been on KW V3, KW Clubsports, AST 4100s, and the Ohlins DFV and so far the Ohlins are my favorite with the AST closely behind (I will say I was running higher rates on the AST but their ability to dampen seemed to be very well) Both the AST and Ohlins feel more active and quicker to respond than the V3 or Clubsport although both of those are still good for what they are.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:38 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

PICS DAMN YOU!

I love those damn coilovers...wish I wasn't buying a house!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
PICS DAMN YOU!
Gernby already has lots of pics on his review thread. Pics on this thread would add no new information.

Plus, I'm lazy.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The DFVs are a great kit. A little soft for the more serious track enthusiast / TT driver, but still a great kit none the less. Great setup for a dual use car. We've sold many of these kits, as well as the AST 4150s, and so far, nobody has said they wished they went with one over the other. Ohlins makes quality stuff.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I hear you can get some stiffer springs for the DFVs and they dont require a revalve. Would be nice to throw some 12/11k on them.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
I hear you can get some stiffer springs for the DFVs and they dont require a revalve. Would be nice to throw some 12/11k on them.
You can. We sold some recently with 650lb, 550lb springs.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:51 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

That fact they can't do the higher rates is my only complaint about the DFV. Would love to be able to run something around 750ish up front and 650ish in the rear but I think it's just too much of a jump on the factory valving.

The AST out of the box is probably able to take a little more spring without a revalve.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Former Moderator

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
That fact they can't do the higher rates is my only complaint about the DFV. Would love to be able to run something around 750ish up front and 650ish in the rear but I think it's just too much of a jump on the factory valving.

The AST out of the box is probably able to take a little more spring without a revalve.
By looking at that dyno for the AST's they'd need spring rate since there's so little compression damping.

PSI revalves the DFV's if you're not happy with the factory valving for free, you can probably just call them up and order them with water ever springs you want and they'll valve them accordingly.

Springs are nice but compression is way better

Quick Reply: Ohlins DFV Shocks installed