S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Brakes and Suspension (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-brakes-suspension-249/)
-   -   ohlins r&t vs bilstein b16 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-brakes-suspension-249/ohlins-r-t-vs-bilstein-b16-1170360/)

beefystud 03-17-2017 12:25 PM

ohlins r&t vs bilstein b16

im looking to buy new coilovers, any one have any experiance with these two products? pros vs cons? the bilsteins have external reservoirs like the oe , does this make them better ?

any one know the weight difference ?

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...0&autoModClar=

Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST: Ohlins Road and Track Coilovers - Honda S2000 (AP1/AP2)1999+

Car Analogy 03-17-2017 07:37 PM

If you are going to track, or if street only and your budget can afford it, get the Ohlins. They are a superior product, as their cost reflects. Otherwise get the Bilsteins, which are one of the best street only coilovers around for the price.

I would actually recommend the pss (b14) version. The damping adjustment on pss9 (b16) are kinda wonky.

hecash 03-18-2017 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy (Post 24172529)
If you are going to track, or if street only and your budget can afford it, get the Ohlins. They are a superior product, as their cost reflects. Otherwise get the Bilsteins, which are one of the best street only coilovers around for the price.

What he said ^^^^

Over my 17+ years of ownership I've had:
OEM
OEM/Comptech/H&R
Koni/Swift
Mugen Nz
Bilstein
KW
KW/Swift
Spoon
Ohlins R&T (present)

Only the Mugen and Ohlins have well met both my track and street desires. They are sufficiently adjustable to be nicely soft (softer than OEM) for touring. I do 3-8,000 miles a year of touring.

beefystud 03-19-2017 02:23 PM

do the external reservoirs mean nothing ?

Car Analogy 03-19-2017 04:45 PM

Allows shock body to be shorter, allowing more travel. May also help fluid stay cool, but that seems secondary.

proracer07 03-21-2017 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by hecash
What he said ^^^^

Over my 17+ years of ownership I've had:
OEM
OEM/Comptech/H&R
Koni/Swift
Mugen Nz
Bilstein
KW
KW/Swift
Spoon
Ohlins R&T (present)

Only the Mugen and Ohlins have well met both my track and street desires. They are sufficiently adjustable to be nicely soft (softer than OEM) for touring. I do 3-8,000 miles a year of touring.

How'd you like the spoon coilovers?

B serious 03-23-2017 07:45 PM

The price difference between the two is $400 at this point.

The Öhlins give back a significantly better driving feel, and they can do well on roads and tracks.

I still really like the Bilsteins...and they can be plenty fast on a track...and I do like the extetnal reservoirs giving back more shock travel.

Given that the price only has like a $400 difference, I'd sway toward the Ohlins. But...again...if you'd rather save the $400, there's nothing wrong with the Bilstein....especially for street use.

Neither system is made for slamming the car, BTW.

proracer07 03-23-2017 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
The price difference between the two is $400 at this point.

The Öhlins give back a significantly better driving feel, and they can do well on roads and tracks.

I still really like the Bilsteins...and they can be plenty fast on a track...and I do like the extetnal reservoirs giving back more shock travel.

Given that the price only has like a $400 difference, I'd sway toward the Ohlins. But...again...if you'd rather save the $400, there's nothing wrong with the Bilstein....especially for street use.

Neither system is made for slamming the car, BTW.

Would Ohlins be considered over kill if I would to use them only on a street car? I plan on tracking again in the next year or two.

Singh_snisen 03-23-2017 09:56 PM

The ohlins are designed for street use with light track use. Or auto x. Ohlins are great street coil.

Car Analogy 03-24-2017 09:22 AM

Another option, Bilstein PSS B14. These are same as PSS9 B16, except they lack the damping adjustability. But the PSS9 damping adjustment is awful anyway.

They are also a lot cheaper than the PSS9.