S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

StopTech SS braided lines poor fitment

Old 09-25-2016, 12:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default StopTech SS braided lines poor fitment

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. Basically the support tabs on the line that are designed to keep the line from rubbing on the suspension components don't fit on the brackets on the car very well. I'm complaining because I thought these would have a direct OEM replacement fit. This is only a problem for the fronts, I haven't installed the rears yet but they have a different style bracket that uses two bolts so this will not be an issue.

I have a completely stock 2007 AP2.

Here are the kits I bought.
Name:  K2lmLdl.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  313.6 KB

The front brake line looks like this. Note: These lines are plastic coated in case anyone was wondering, I've seen people mention they weren't.
StopTech SS braided lines poor fitment-7shmuhl.jpg

Here is a close up of the tab on the brake line.
StopTech SS braided lines poor fitment-okosirt.jpg

Notice the part of the tab on the left that is flared around the bushing. This is the problematic part. The diameter of the flare is too large to fit into the the mounting bracket on the upright.
StopTech SS braided lines poor fitment-rtgi0is.jpg
StopTech SS braided lines poor fitment-nr1xsbm.jpg

If you try to bolt to the tab to the bracket they don't bolt flush to each other as the tab is held at an angle because the crimp is too large to fit in the bracket. Too janky for me.

Here is a picture of the other tab that mounts on the shock bracket. This one doesn't have the issue because the flare from the crimp faces away from the shock bracket. I actually think this is a poor design too because the only way to keep the brake line bracket from rotating when tightening the bolt is the resistance from the rubber bushing instead of the metal tab.
StopTech SS braided lines poor fitment-qeu6mnt.jpg

I could make these fit by grinding the bracket on the upright, but I don't have tools to do that today and honestly I shouldn't have to. I'm going to return these but I'm wondering if other people have this issue or I got unlucky. Is there another brand that fits like OEM?

Stoptech could fix this issue by reducing the diameter of the crimp on the tab and also flipping the direction of the tab closest to the threaded flare end of the line.

Thanks for reading.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:42 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Yeah the fitment on the Goodridge lines were about like this...too generic for my liking. As long as they hold (mine did) you're fine. That said, I bought SOS lines after selling my ap2 and they fit perfectly.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:31 PM

I'm glad there is a set out there that fits. I'll give the SOS ones a try. Its frustrating when you start a project and then find out that the part doesn't fit the way it should. I agree it would of been find if I bolted it up anyways at an angle but it would of bugged me, and I don't want to reward companies who do shitty R&D with my money.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:10 AM

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

this is how they are on all the stoptech kits? i dont like that
Old 09-29-2016, 08:46 AM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Notes and will consider SOS lines instead.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same kit, but don't remember running into these issues. I'll double check the install when I get the chance.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:04 AM

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

yeah let us know plz
Old 09-30-2016, 06:57 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Grilla
I have the same kit, but don't remember running into these issues. I'll double check the install when I get the chance.
Same here, I'll double check when I get home but don't remember any issues installing these.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OP is correct. I had a chance to inspect them today. I just mounted on the other side of the bracket and it holds fine, but of course it's not flush in the U-shaped tab. Looks like SOS lines for me in the future if that time comes.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:06 AM

Thanks for confirming. Glad I wasn't missing something obvious.

Quick Reply: StopTech SS braided lines poor fitment