S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Brakes and Suspension (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-brakes-suspension-249/)
-   -   Why KW V3 Over the GC with Koni (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-brakes-suspension-249/why-kw-v3-over-gc-koni-880148/)

Fujin 07-03-2011 04:01 PM

Why KW V3 Over the GC with Koni

So one thing I have yet to figure out is why so many of us here chose the KW V3 over a custom set up Ground Control Coilover system with Koni Yellows.
Seems like the Ground Control Koni combo is about $6-700 cheaper and more customizable. You could get the same spring rate even as the V3's. Also Koni Yellows have lifetime warranty, are easy to service at any shop and are actually fairly simple to rebuild. So thinking there must be some reason other than a meager fad so to speak that everyone chooses KW over these guys. I have been reading and searching but cant seem to find any substantial reasoning. Anyone here have some magic reason as to why the V3 is so much better supposedly?

s2kobsession 07-03-2011 04:13 PM

bling and bragging factor meng. The V3's have a stainless steel body ?
I put the koni w/ gc in my R and have zero complaints.

philbert 07-03-2011 04:43 PM

I don't think most consider OTS Yellows to be much of an upgrade over the oem shocks, which are very good. Add a revalve (and perhaps conversion to double adjustable), and they are no longer a "bargain" priced option.

Disgustipated 07-03-2011 05:00 PM

drive in a properly setup S2000 with KW V3's vs one with GC's/Koni's. You'll understand why. GC/Koni's is a great option, but KW V3's excel in every single way. Simply superb.

Fujin 07-03-2011 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Disgustipated (Post 20744056)
drive in a properly setup S2000 with KW V3's vs one with GC's/Koni's. You'll understand why. GC/Koni's is a great option, but KW V3's excel in every single way. Simply superb.

But WHY. What about them makes them so superb? THe GC/Koni can be set up to have the exact same specs as the V3's..

Disgustipated 07-03-2011 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fujin (Post 20744112)

Originally Posted by Disgustipated' timestamp='1309741208' post='20744056

But WHY. What about them makes them so superb? THe GC/Koni can be set up to have the exact same specs as the V3's..

That's like asking 'an Integra can be made to have the same whp as an S2000, so why is the S2000 better/faster/much quicker through corners/a far superior track car?' Combination of factors. Better valving specifically made for the spring rates (the Konis are valved for anywhere from stock to 450~ lb/in from my understanding), higher quality components, specific spring rates for each application, better adjustment ability (and probably more consistent in its adjustment), adjustable bump/compression adjustments, the list goes on. Do you really think that throwing on 515 lb/in springs onto off the shelf Koni Yellows is going to be as high performance as KW's?

Another good difference would be all-seasons vs. high performance summer tires. Sure, all-seasons perform relatively well across the board but they're a 'one size fits all' and therefore they don't come close to offering the same peak grip or handling characteristics of a dedicated summer tire. Koni/GC is like an all-season tire, KW V3's are like a high performance summer tire that tears it up on the track but has mannerisms that are well suited to daily driving.

Basically, if you can't afford V3's or would rather budget for other performance variables, Konis + GC are an excellent alternative that beat out 90% of the crappy coilovers that are only good for dumping (Megan, Buddyclub, Tein) etc. I'd say Konis + GC are about on par with Bilstein PSS/PSS9, maybe even better in some circumstances.

chetly 07-03-2011 05:53 PM

The kws actually work better with stiffer springrates than stock from my point of view. At least in a autox environment.

FISH22 07-03-2011 06:26 PM

Not sure if it's been brought up, but they V3s can have rebound and compression adjusted independently, while the Konis are just rebound(unless you get them revalved and built to be a double-adjustable). KWs also come with a lifetime warranty like the Konis.

A few years back, I had Koni Yellows. They rode VERY well, but, were a lot softer than OEM shocks and I really didn't like that. Obviously, going a lot stiffer isn't always the best option for handling, but it really made the car feel like a boat in some ways. I only had them on the car for a few months, and then went with BC BR-types, PSS9s, and now KW V3s. And like so many people have said before, they are amazing! And I have no experience with them on the track... completely street driven on not so great roads.

Fujin 07-03-2011 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by FISH22 (Post 20744186)
Not sure if it's been brought up, but they V3s can have rebound and compression adjusted independently, while the Konis are just rebound(unless you get them revalved and built to be a double-adjustable). KWs also come with a lifetime warranty like the Konis.

A few years back, I had Koni Yellows. They rode VERY well, but, were a lot softer than OEM shocks and I really didn't like that. Obviously, going a lot stiffer isn't always the best option for handling, but it really made the car feel like a boat in some ways. I only had them on the car for a few months, and then went with BC BR-types, PSS9s, and now KW V3s. And like so many people have said before, they are amazing! And I have no experience with them on the track... completely street driven on not so great roads.

Gotcha that's good feedback actually. Did you buy the GC/Koni Coilover set up? Or did you buy the GC and Koni independently and assemble. If you got the coilover set up what rates and valving did you chose? I'm curious to see if the issue might have been a lower setting koni/gc combo compared to a off the shelf higher set up V3.

Originally Posted by Disgustipated (Post 20744137)

Originally Posted by Fujin' timestamp='1309743032' post='20744112
[quote name='Disgustipated' timestamp='1309741208' post='20744056']

That's like asking 'an Integra can be made to have the same whp as an S2000, so why is the S2000 better/faster/much quicker through corners/a far superior track car?' Combination of factors. Better valving specifically made for the spring rates (the Konis are valved for anywhere from stock to 450~ lb/in from my understanding), higher quality components, specific spring rates for each application, better adjustment ability (and probably more consistent in its adjustment), adjustable bump/compression adjustments, the list goes on. Do you really think that throwing on 515 lb/in springs onto off the shelf Koni Yellows is going to be as high performance as KW's?

Another good difference would be all-seasons vs. high performance summer tires. Sure, all-seasons perform relatively well across the board but they're a 'one size fits all' and therefore they don't come close to offering the same peak grip or handling characteristics of a dedicated summer tire. Koni/GC is like an all-season tire, KW V3's are like a high performance summer tire that tears it up on the track but has mannerisms that are well suited to daily driving.

Basically, if you can't afford V3's or would rather budget for other performance variables, Konis + GC are an excellent alternative that beat out 90% of the crappy coilovers that are only good for dumping (Megan, Buddyclub, Tein) etc. I'd say Konis + GC are about on par with Bilstein PSS/PSS9, maybe even better in some circumstances.
[/quote]

No no my apologies for not being clear. I'm not talking about off the shelf koni's and off the shelf GC's. When you order the actual coil over kit from GC for the s2k you can have any spring rate you want and any valving you want dropped into the Koni and GC combo. I could (should I want to spend the money) Have the Koni's made to be DA and re valved etc. Or even have a higher spring rate on the GC set up. So I'm trying to figure out why people still go with the V3's if there is a highly customizable alternative for less. No part of the thread is meant to bash any ones personal choice. Merely to seek a greater understanding of why we all chose the V3 over the GC/Koni custom set up.

robinson 07-03-2011 07:30 PM

People here like drop in kits. They don't want to mess with custom parts.

Full disclosure, I have custom double adjustable konis (not yellow) with custom hardware. My shocks are better than KWs, hands down.