S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Brakes and Suspension (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-brakes-suspension-249/)
-   -   Why KW V3 Over the GC with Koni (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-brakes-suspension-249/why-kw-v3-over-gc-koni-880148/)

Fujin 07-03-2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by robinson (Post 20744282)
People here like drop in kits. They don't want to mess with custom parts.

Full disclosure, I have custom double adjustable konis (not yellow) with custom hardware. My shocks are better than KWs, hands down.

Interesting.. Did you go with Koni's Race shock? And which hardware are you using?

robinson 07-03-2011 07:41 PM

I have the 8242, large body twin tube. I use their coil sleeve, upper and lower spring perch with custom made upper spherical mount and hypercoil 6 inch springs (900/600).

Fujin 07-03-2011 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by robinson (Post 20744295)
I have the 8242, large body twin tube. I use their coil sleeve, upper and lower spring perch with custom made upper spherical mount and hypercoil 6 inch springs (900/600).

Damn how stiff is that ride on roads? You still have your teeth? If you dont mind me asking how much did those setups run? I got quoted DA tubes with GC springs perches at the rate of my choice about $1600.

robinson 07-03-2011 08:24 PM

The ride is not that bad, but that is a function of the shock. To replicate my setup, I'd guess about $2200. I got the shocks on clearance and revalved for $40, so I saved about $1400.

Was the DA quote you got for converted yellow (sports)? If so, that sounds about right.

Fujin 07-03-2011 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by robinson (Post 20744359)
The ride is not that bad, but that is a function of the shock. To replicate my setup, I'd guess about $2200. I got the shocks on clearance and revalved for $40, so I saved about $1400.

Was the DA quote you got for converted yellow (sports)? If so, that sounds about right.

Yea. I figured $1600 for DA shocks on any spring rate I want is pretty win...whats the downside and why not the competition.

robinson 07-03-2011 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fujin (Post 20744375)

Originally Posted by robinson' timestamp='1309753452' post='20744359

Yea. I figured $1600 for DA shocks on any spring rate I want is pretty win...whats the downside and why not the competition.

As far as I can tell, there are better compression curves for the koni which make it a better shock as the high speed bump forces can be manipulated unlike the KW. This is only my basic understanding of the KW based on their supplied dyno sheet on their website. That graph shows low speed adjustment but the high speed stays at the max force. This is not desirable for comfort. My bump forces change low and high speed forced at the same time giving a very digressive blow off after 2 in/sec on the graph. This way I can turn the bump down for street awesome comfort on the street and turn it up for autocrossing and still have great control over bumps.

The rebound adjuster seemes to be about the same so neither model had a leg up here if I recall.

The only downside that I can think of is the KW may have a shorter shock body, which means you will have more room to lower the car. The koni's are stock length so that limits how low you can go depending on how much shock travel you need.

Fujin 07-03-2011 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by robinson (Post 20744404)

Originally Posted by Fujin' timestamp='1309754096' post='20744375
[quote name='robinson' timestamp='1309753452' post='20744359']

As far as I can tell, there are better compression curves for the koni which make it a better shock as the high speed bump forces can be manipulated unlike the KW. This is only my basic understanding of the KW based on their supplied dyno sheet on their website. That graph shows low speed adjustment but the high speed stays at the max force. This is not desirable for comfort. My bump forces change low and high speed forced at the same time giving a very digressive blow off after 2 in/sec on the graph. This way I can turn the bump down for street awesome comfort on the street and turn it up for autocrossing and still have great control over bumps.

The rebound adjuster seemes to be about the same so neither model had a leg up here if I recall.

The only downside that I can think of is the KW may have a shorter shock body, which means you will have more room to lower the car. The koni's are stock length so that limits how low you can go depending on how much shock travel you need.
[/quote]

I've heard something similar. are the 8242s also the oem length? I know with the type s there were a few varieties of the koni's that were infact shorter.

dan_uk 07-04-2011 03:52 AM

I ran OEM shocks with 500lbs lowerring springs for years and stock koni sports (yellows) with similar springrates are much much better!
I now run revalved koni yellows and they are awesome. The revalve cost around $700 for all 4 with the fronts shortenned.
Double Adjustable onversion is around $300 / shock so much more expensive to buy konis and make them double adjustable like KW v3's

I went for konis because I could spend $800 to start out, play with spring rates then do the revalve later. Also I needed a non remote resovoir shock for TT class.
But if you have the $1500 or whatever to spend up front and want around 500/600lbs springs probly the KW's are probably your best bet.

dan_uk 07-04-2011 04:08 AM

When I ran time trials at road atlanta a few weeks with 2 other s2000's - all about the same weight (2850lbs) with bolt ons (I/H/E) and wings & r comps
One car on KW's one on stock konis and me on revalves...

There was 0.3 second a lap between us all! if I hadn't have messed up my fast lap it would probably have been more like 0.1 sec out of about a 1.40second lap.

So I realy don't think you will notice a huge difference in the speed you can go between the 3 options!

xredjar 07-04-2011 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by robinson (Post 20744282)
People here like drop in kits. They don't want to mess with custom parts.

Full disclosure, I have custom double adjustable konis (not yellow) with custom hardware. My shocks are better than KWs, hands down.

I agree with you on this....& I'm a perfect example.

If I had the time and inclination, I could do all the research required to come up with a combo that should work well. I don't have the time it would take to do that. So I bought the KW V3s because it's a known commodity and there is enough feedback on installation and settings to make it the more attractive option for me.

Add that I was able to get the KWs new for $1750.....the dollar savings that may be gained by putting things together myself was negligible.

I appreciate that there are people here that have the knowledge and take the time to share it. Time is my biggest enemy and the Kws are a well sorted off the shelf solution, that works for me.

So, I'm not knocking the custom option.....just was not the one for me.