S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 CR Club Racer Edition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-cr-club-racer-edition-279/)
-   -   Should I daily drive my CR? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-cr-club-racer-edition-279/should-i-daily-drive-my-cr-875959/)

cantsleep 06-15-2011 12:52 AM

Should I daily drive my CR?

I have been driving the civic si for last 3 months or so
In order to keep mileage low on CR

But I started to think.... I pay 350 for my CR every month plus 120 for full coverage insurance. I don't think I'm living in a smart life when my CR is just being stored rather than being active.

I know it's a rare collectible car,,,, especially it being a gpw
Idk.... I'm in dilemma now if I should sell the si and daily drive the CR.
We will see .... Who knows. I may keep driving the si
What do you all think ?

valerios 06-15-2011 01:04 AM

First of the car is a soulless object, i know that the rarity of your CR alters a little bit your perception about it, but in the end its just a car and cars are made to be driven, gain experience and create long term memories from it , so that 10 years from now you would have something to say about it, if you continue like this at the end the only thing to say would be how well you kept it stored and clean for ages without driving it, you would respond in a way that justifies your way of thinking ,but if you are 100% sure that your acts are right you wouldnt start this topic in the first place
Thank you for your time and excuse any grammatical mistakes...

lltysonll 06-15-2011 01:09 AM

I'd keep driving the Si daily. It's a dangerous world out there to make the CR a daily. I would drive the S maybe on the weekends or just for joy rides. Got to love having a second more practical vehicle when owning an S. I know I do.

CBR2200 06-15-2011 01:59 AM

I daily drive a Fit. I take the S out on weekends. I think its that much more fun and special when you only drive it to places you want to go vs places you have to go. Plus I plan on keeping this one for ever, unless Honda comes out with a better sports car in the future. (which I don't see happening)

xthumper32x 06-15-2011 04:03 AM

Well I wasn't ever planning on getting a CR. But it found me, the deal was too good to pass up so I traded my RSX-S in for her. So my CR is my daily. I have nothing else. I have a smile on my face every day that I get into the car. Eventually I will be picking up a daily. But I will still drive the CR frequently.

Biohazard 06-15-2011 04:04 AM

I agree, I daily a FA5 08 si with full bolt on's and a tune. It makes my time on the weekends and at the track alot more enjoyable in the CR. Enjoy the car and drive it, but I personally wouldn't enjoy the CR as a daily.

BrutalDawg 06-15-2011 04:36 AM

CR for the weekends and when you just feel like driving for fun.

Daily for winter/work/and places that you don't want your CR near and around.

JoelCool 06-15-2011 06:42 AM

It's your car, do what you want. If you want it to be a low mile example in the future, you know what to do. If you think you'd enjoy driving it daily and you're willing to accept the depreciation, then drive it. It's your car.

Personally, mine is a DD, rain or shine. I enjoy my commute, and I enjoy it more in the CR and I don't mind washing it. But that's my decision. Don't let me influence your decision.

adrs2k 06-15-2011 06:50 AM

I DD my car right now. Not really by choice, and I will pick up a daily eventually. My commute is only about 15miles round trip, and its an easy drive with very minimal traffic. If my commute wasn't what it is, I probably wouldn't have gotten the CR, I would have just kept my higher mileage AP2 (76,000miles) or bought commuter car and held off on buying another S for awhile. I do enjoy driving it everyday, but I would prefer not to. Although when I have a bad day and I walk through the parking lot and see it sitting there, it brings a smile to my face and I forget my crappy work day!

I think maybe you should just start driving the CR more! Drive it two times a week to work or something to get more out of it, but still keep a DD car around.

CR Matey! 06-15-2011 07:16 AM

Do you plan on selling the car in the future? Or keeping it long term? (10+ years)

What is the reason with keeping the mileage low? The CR will only go down in value, never go up and if it does, there will be other ventures that yield a higher ROI. The cost of it sitting there with APR/insurance is burning more than the yield from resale.

The CR is an amazing car, but it's not even exotic/rare enough to just keep it in storage just to keep the miles low.

Having said that, I can understand the functional reasons for another car such as the needing to carry passengers, hauling, unpaved roads, etc.

Do what makes you happy. Life is short, enjoy life. Spend your money, drive it for fun, mod it for fun. Thinking about cars as some investment is just nonsense :)

cantsleep 06-15-2011 07:33 AM

During those 3 months I drove my si, I approximately put 7000 miles on it
Yes I drive a lot
From my house to school which I go 3 days a week is about 70 miles round trip plus I go on a road trip a lot all over California.
And si is way more comfortable and better gas mileage
Furthermore, driving a CR on LA road condition gets very annoying at times
So I think it is a better idea to DD the si.
But yea it's not so smart move to pay interest for loan and insurance if Its just gonna sit at home
Maybe I should change my insurance policy to " weekend car" to save
Does anyone have this type of policy on their CR?

#172CR 06-15-2011 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by CR Matey! (Post 20684848)
Do you plan on selling the car in the future? Or keeping it long term? (10+ years)

What is the reason with keeping the mileage low? The CR will only go down in value, never go up and if it does, there will be other ventures that yield a higher ROI. The cost of it sitting there with APR/insurance is burning more than the yield from resale.

The CR is an amazing car, but it's not even exotic/rare enough to just keep it in storage just to keep the miles low.

Having said that, I can understand the functional reasons for another car such as the needing to carry passengers, hauling, unpaved roads, etc.

Do what makes you happy. Life is short, enjoy life. Spend your money, drive it for fun, mod it for fun. Thinking about cars as some investment is just nonsense :)

I agree, in the grand scheme of things, the CR is not a rare enough vehicle to garage and never see, however the same was said about the Integra Type R, and it's pretty obvious to see that now its an extremely sought after piece, normally commanding prices in the mid teens.

When I bought my CR, I couldn't afford a DD, and I was commuting 200 miles every weekend from college back home, then having fun all over town, trips to Seattle, Los Angeles, etc. The miles racked up quickly. Something, for me, clicked. I bought a daily driver, and slowly began returning the car to show room quality stock again. For me, the CR will probably always be a garage queen now. Never in the elements, never driven for needless trips, etc.

It really does make every time I sit in our cockpit feel that much more special. In the 7 months since I bought the DD, I've only put about 3000 miles on the CR, compared to averaging 2000 miles a month.

-Ira

scareyourpassenger 06-15-2011 08:01 AM

The plan so far is to buy the CR and use it for autocross and on special days. I bought a miata r-package for daily and serious track abuse.
Both cars will be fun but after owning 2 s2000s I wanted to hold onto the CR and make it the last nice one I buy. I might eventually have another as a dd and replace the miata with it.

I can't find another car that I would like as much.

adrs2k 06-15-2011 08:17 AM

I typically only drive my 75miles to work each week, maybe another 50 miles to a car meet once a week, and maybe dinner on the weekend if we are going somewhere nice and upscale. Otherwise all other trips are taken in the girls Accord. I actually rarely drive my car on the weekends. I bought my car in Feb and have only put 3,000 miles on it. I am going to continue driving it and enjoying it, but I will try to not rack up the miles. I bought the car with the intention of holding on to it for a very long time, and modding it, tracking it, and enjoying it. Again, if I had to drive 10-12,000 miles a year, I would not do it in the CR, or any other S2000. Mainly because I want to hold on to the car and keep it nice and not just rack up senseless and non fun miles.

psychoazn 06-15-2011 09:46 AM

I nearly got rear ended today. Less than 6 inches from my rear bumper. f@#king SUVs.

I've been struggling with the idea of a daily driver since I originally purchased the car, and I find myself continuing to drive the CR, because even for a simple commute, its just more fun.

DrPcmd 06-15-2011 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by xthumper32x (Post 20684164)
Well I wasn't ever planning on getting a CR. But it found me, the deal was too good to pass up so I traded my RSX-S in for her. So my CR is my daily. I have nothing else. I have a smile on my face every day that I get into the car. Eventually I will be picking up a daily. But I will still drive the CR frequently.

Same story for me, wanted an s2000 but not necessarily a CR but this local ricer(Rodney)that sold it to me was persistant so I sold my ABP RSX-S to another friend and it worked out for all of us. My commute to work is less than 30 miles round trip and with 2 months of ownership I feel unconfortable if I'm not in it. I compete in SCCA Solo BS and am not afraid to push the car. I still have not quite found the limit but I'm trying to, that being said I love my car but will take every advantage of driving it like it should be. I also have a base auto RSX that I use if I have to drive my kids around, but have not really needed to use it lately, so it's just chillin in my driveway jealous of the CR. The RSX will get some seat time once the nice weather goes south and I will use that time to prep the CR for the 2012 solo season. Drive the car every chance you get because ya never know when it will be your last.

closetgeek 06-15-2011 12:42 PM

Should you daily drive your CR? Only if you don't have a choice imo

herrjr 06-15-2011 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by cantsleep (Post 20684910)

Yes. That's what I have on mine. I have the lowest level policy, since it's always garaged and I drive under 1k a year.

pde27 06-15-2011 01:26 PM

i drive my CR on the weekends and occasionally during the week. for the most part my civic ex is the daily. dont sell your si, i still miss mine but it got jacked so now i am left with her SOHC ex. it sucks.

#172CR 06-15-2011 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by herrjr (Post 20686422)

Originally Posted by cantsleep' timestamp='1308151980' post='20684910

Yes. That's what I have on mine. I have the lowest level policy, since it's always garaged and I drive under 1k a year.

I switched mine to a weekend policy as well. My policy is pretty lenient, you set a mileage target, and try to stay under, but its not always exact. Either way it is cheaper.

takchi 06-15-2011 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by #172CR (Post 20686641)

Originally Posted by herrjr' timestamp='1308172932' post='20686422
[quote name='cantsleep' timestamp='1308151980' post='20684910']

I switched mine to a weekend policy as well. My policy is pretty lenient, you set a mileage target, and try to stay under, but its not always exact. Either way it is cheaper.
[/quote]
Hence why Psychoazn is a baller. Just kidding! I'd say whatever you want to do. CR is very fun everyday, however it sounds like you commute a ton so a daily is smart.

Vanishing Point 06-15-2011 03:36 PM

I have mine on Hagerty Insurance, it was the lowest price that offered the best coverage and lest restrictions. My CR was the previous owners daily until I bought it. Now it is driven to S2000 events, drives, etc only.

cantsleep 06-21-2011 08:49 PM

i made an initial judgement
i put up my Si for sale, possibly sold already

im gonna daily the CR until i find a DC2 type-R

Mijae007 06-21-2011 09:21 PM

i daily mine...also not really by choice (dont have another car i could use at the moment). but my motto is why not drive it? what is your goal? to own the cr, garage queen it and hopefully sell it on barret jackson for double, maybe even three times what you bought it for? im gonna continue to drive it and enjoy it til its literally on its last limb. then replace those parts and continue to drive it and enjoy it!

psychoazn 06-21-2011 10:09 PM

Eh? Give me specs on the Si.

I need a daily :p

uLmighty 06-24-2011 10:07 AM

i too daily my CR everyday for the last almost 3 months now and put in like 5k miles to it =[ . just waitin for my 240sx to get done so i can daily it

secUnd3r 06-26-2011 12:02 PM

I daily mine to and from work every day in San Diego traffic. The unthinkable eventually happens, I got rear ended last Wednesday. I'll take some pictures and start a thread about it. Its not to bad, but makes me seriously reconsider dding mine. I have two cars, a 2000 accord that was my previous car before the s, but that is what my wife drives. I could just have her suck it up and stay home all day. :)

cantsleep 06-26-2011 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by secUnd3r (Post 20721011)
I daily mine to and from work every day in San Diego traffic. The unthinkable eventually happens, I got rear ended last Wednesday. I'll take some pictures and start a thread about it. Its not to bad, but makes me seriously reconsider dding mine. I have two cars, a 2000 accord that was my previous car before the s, but that is what my wife drives. I could just have her suck it up and stay home all day. :)

U think it's worth it ;) ?

secUnd3r 06-28-2011 05:01 PM

Worth it to make her stay home all day? Probably not. Just going to have to buy more cars!

takchi 06-28-2011 05:42 PM

@secUnde3r: do you drive on scripps poway pkwy and pomerado road? :p

cantsleep 06-28-2011 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by secUnd3r (Post 20729368)
Worth it to make her stay home all day? Probably not. Just going to have to buy more cars!

:thumbup: :)

Vanishing Point 06-29-2011 04:18 AM

secUND3r, hope those repairs go well! A DD would hopefully give you some peace of mind on your commute.

2008ABPS2KCR 06-29-2011 10:50 AM

A wise man once said not driving your car to keep the miles down is like not having sex with your girlfriend to save her for the next guy.

secUnd3r 06-29-2011 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by takchi (Post 20729484)
@secUnde3r: do you drive on scripps poway pkwy and pomerado road? :p

I drive all over San Diego county, but haven't been that way in a while.

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point (Post 20730484)
secUND3r, hope those repairs go well! A DD would hopefully give you some peace of mind on your commute.

Got the car in the shop now, my boy says its not bad at all and will be an easy fix. Nothing bent underneath the bumper cover, just knocked out of alignment and a few of the bumper cover hangers are messed up. By the way, anyone run anything other than stock alignment on their CR? I know there is the UK spec, but I believe(maybe incorrectly) that that is only for AP1s.

Originally Posted by 2008ABPS2KCR (Post 20731984)
A wise man once said not driving your car to keep the miles down is like not having sex with your girlfriend to save her for the next guy.

^^This.

takchi 06-29-2011 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by secUnd3r (Post 20732759)
Got the car in the shop now, my boy says its not bad at all and will be an easy fix. Nothing bent underneath the bumper cover, just knocked out of alignment and a few of the bumper cover hangers are messed up. By the way, anyone run anything other than stock alignment on their CR? I know there is the UK spec, but I believe(maybe incorrectly) that that is only for AP1s.

Yea. What are you looking for? My current alignment is -2.9 front and -2.65 rear +1/8" toe-in rear. It's going to change a little bit since I don't run non-staggered anymore.