S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Alpine 9813 & External Amp

Old 07-12-2004, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine 9813 & External Amp

I'm looking for someone with an external amp connected to the alpine 9813 Headunit. I currently have mine wires through channels 1 & 3 I believe...a few questions that I have

1) My amp is on the SUB channel off the HU is this correct?
2) I originally had it connected to channels 1&3, but only one channel was giving off the bass. The other was giving off the treble so when the two subs were put together the both had the full sound, but remove one of the two subs and you lose all the bass or mids/high. I basically ran the + for both subs to channel 1 since it was the one putting off all the bass. Can this be fixed or is it a config problem or what?

3) My amp is definately working but I wanted to see how others have setup their HU with this config. I want the rears and fronts to be running off the internal HU amp. I have Lucid rears on the rear channel.

4) I definately get bass because the drivers shake, but really you can't hear much with the trunk closed; or so it would seem. I would expect to be able to -maybe my config is wrong any thoughtS?

Here is my list of stuff:

Alpine 9813 HU
Stock Fronts
Kendwood Dual Mag rears in lucid pre-cut panels
sub Box with two 10" subs
Alpine 320 Watt X4 channel amp

Thoughts? Help?
Old 07-12-2004, 01:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your RCA cables should be plugged into the 'SUB' pigtails off the back of the HU. Make sure you go into the setup menu of the HU and turn the sub output on. It is off by default. You may also need to adjust the output level (press the rotary knob until SUB-W displays, then rotate the knob to the right for +, left for -).
Old 07-12-2004, 01:15 PM

SC: I already did all that - the sub IS connected to the sub pigtails, the sub is 'On' and it is set to level 15. The subs are producing output and I can see the drivers vibrating at about volume level 17 or 20 but when I shut off the internal amp on the HU to check the sub output alone, I cannot hear it through the trunk until I turn it all the way up...

I don't want trunk rattling bass and the system seems much more defined with bass especially; just can't hear the sub channel distinctively you know?
Old 07-12-2004, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by AustinS2k2003,Jul 12 2004, 09:22 AM
1) My amp is on the SUB channel off the HU is this correct?
I'm not a wiring pro, but here's a shot at it. Is your amp possibly looking for high level inputs and using a crossover before it send the bass to the subs? If so, you would only hear the tiniest bit of bass (the difference between the two crossover points). Check that the settings on your sub amp are correct.

I have 2 8" subs and my car seems like people can hear it two miles away. Two 10" subs should blow your eardrums out of your skull if they're powered adequately.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:44 AM

Indeed....I do think something is fishy here flitcroft.

The alpine HU does have an internal crossover function called T-Cor. It offers a bass focus feature among other things but can only be configured for the 4 regular channels NOT the sub channel. Any suggestions as to what swtich I should look at throwing on the amp? I bought it from another board member and he said everything is configured and setup BUT he was using the stock HU so his settings may no longer be valid...anything you guys have to contribute would be appreciated.

Again the subs are powered, just not throwing off bass the way you expect as I stated above....

Anyone else with a similar setup wanna chime in?
Old 07-13-2004, 06:36 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinS2k2003,Jul 13 2004, 07:44 AM
Indeed....I do think something is fishy here flitcroft.

The alpine HU does have an internal crossover function called T-Cor. It offers a bass focus feature among other things but can only be configured for the 4 regular channels NOT the sub channel. Any suggestions as to what swtich I should look at throwing on the amp? I bought it from another board member and he said everything is configured and setup BUT he was using the stock HU so his settings may no longer be valid...anything you guys have to contribute would be appreciated.

Again the subs are powered, just not throwing off bass the way you expect as I stated above....

Anyone else with a similar setup wanna chime in?
I think you are on the right track here. I had this problem in reverse when I initially set up my 9833....the sub was playing full-range In the time correction settings for the sub there is a # value 1-4 to indicate the slope...I believe you want 1 dialed in there
Old 07-13-2004, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by AustinS2k2003,Jul 13 2004, 03:44 AM
I bought it from another board member and he said everything is configured and setup BUT he was using the stock HU so his settings may no longer be valid...
That's definitely it then. Most amps have their own crossovers so you can hook up full range signals and have them filter out the bass. That's what yours is likely doing. I didn't see a model number in your post so I'll give you a link to Alpine and you can check out the user manuals. Usually, the input selector (called many different things) is a little black push button.

Try going here and using the breadcrumb links to find your amp:
http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_i...y=120&p_main=10

It sounds like Alpine calls theres "Subsonic Filter (15Hz)".
Old 07-13-2004, 10:14 AM

Ok...I flipped some switches and the bass is much more defined now...it was set to do all rnages of sound. I also increased the output and that helped...
Old 07-13-2004, 11:06 AM

Old 07-13-2004, 01:20 PM

Wow - what a differance...crazy! Sounds thumpin now

Quick Reply: Alpine 9813 & External Amp