S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Alpine CDE-HD149BT vs Sony MEX-GS820BT

Old 04-10-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Alpine CDE-HD149BT vs Sony MEX-GS820BT

After 5 years of ownership, I finally decided to change out my oem stereo for an aftermarket radio. My goal is to get better sound, keep stereo controls and functionality (modifry), match the oem interior colors, and have seamless Bluetooth streaming and calling.

I narrowed my choices to the Sony MEX-GS820BT and Alpine CDE-HD149BT. The alpine seems to be the tried and true head unit/ brand to go with on the s2k. I like that out has hd radio but it is also kind of an old unit now.

The Sony is newer and offers a stronger built in amp compared to the alpine. Since its still kind of new, there aren't a lot of reviews out yet. However I did hear it does not offer a mute option. I'm not sure if that's just on the head until but I would really like that feature on my car.

Which one would work best in the s2k? Any experience with these 2 brands?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-10-2018, 11:51 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I have an Alpine UTE 62-BT. I like it. It works well.

Are you sure you want a CD player? The BT receivers will play music from a smartphone, or even just a thumb drive, wired via usb, or wireless via blue tooth. I tend to listen to pandora or I use the native ipod app on my iphone - or other apps. It works very well. I see no need for a CD player.

I don't think you need it, but if you want some more oomph, Alpine has a very small amp that you can mount up under the dash I believe.

Last edited by rpg51; 04-13-2018 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by rpg51
I have an Alpine UTE 62-BT. I like it. It works well.

Are you sure you want a CD player? The BT receivers will play music from a smartphone, or even just a thumb drive, wired via usb, or wireless via blue tooth. I tend to listen to pandora or I use the native ipod app on my iphone - or other apps. It works very well. I see no need for a CD player.

I don't think you need it, but if you want some more oomph, Alpine has a very small amp that you can mouth up under the dash I believe.
I thought about it and while the majority of the time I'll be using digital media, I would like the option of a CD player. What I really want to know is which head unit will work better on the S.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:45 PM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

I think it's going to be hard to find anyone who has experience with both and can compare for you. I have the Alpine and have been very happy with it. I wanted the same as you (although didn't care about CD) and did not want to bother with an external amp. I choose speakers on the upper end of efficiency (Focal ISC165) so there's enough volume even for top down driving - except on the freeway at 75 mph. Bass is surprisingly good for a setup without a subwoofer. BT works great with my Samsung S7 and I stream most of my music. Integration with Modifry is perfect. The only thing I'd like better is if the buttons were bigger - really hard to make any changes to settings while driving. But that's really a function of how small the form factor is and I doubt is unique to the Alpine.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

While I don't have experience with these specific Sony or Alpine units, I will say I have an Alpine KTP-445A wired to my Pioneer and it makes a nice difference in loudness with the top down.

That power pack should be a direct plug-in to alpine unit, so if you find the integrated amplifier is not loud enough upgrading is a simple plug and play job.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:10 AM

I just wired up the modifry harness and dci tho the Sony MEXGS820BT to test it out everything works fine. The only thing I'm missing is the mute function which the head unit doesn't have. It's a trade off I guess.

I'll update more as I go along. I'm still trying to figure out how to write the SVC cable to get the volume to go up with the speed of the car. Anyone have any experience installing the svc?
Old 04-23-2018, 04:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am facing the same questions. I think it is stupid that most units have such small buttons that they are impossible to use while driving, and nearly impossible when sitting still. Thank goodness for Modifry.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:34 AM

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dv55xc
I just wired up the modifry harness and dci tho the Sony MEXGS820BT to test it out everything works fine. The only thing I'm missing is the mute function which the head unit doesn't have. It's a trade off I guess.

I'll update more as I go along. I'm still trying to figure out how to write the SVC cable to get the volume to go up with the speed of the car. Anyone have any experience installing the svc?
I just followed the instructions and tapped the convertible speed wire. Was pretty straight forward.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you still close the radio cover door with the Alpine? What Modifry piece do I need to make the side controls work?
Old 04-30-2018, 05:00 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by gomarlins3
Can you still close the radio cover door with the Alpine? What Modifry piece do I need to make the side controls work?
Yes the door closes fine. Perfect fit. Call or e mail modifry to be sure you get the right stuff to go with your headunit. Very helpful.

I just got my new 03 ap1. Its bone stock. I will have to change out the head-unit on this car. Probably do the same thing - Alpine BT and stock speakers to start, maybe add in that little under-dash Alpine amp.

Last edited by rpg51; 04-30-2018 at 05:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Alpine CDE-HD149BT vs Sony MEX-GS820BT