S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Amp size question

Old 06-30-2002, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Made my decision to stay with the stock head unit and add Infinity 605 cs components to my 02. I am going to try to get an amp under a seat, or if not there, then somewhere else. I think I even heard of an amp inside the spare tire area? Last choice......if need be, vertically along the back wall of the trunk. I really don't want to lose any space in the trunk, especially the lower section.

What size amp would be JUST enough to power the door speakers. I have 3-way Kenwoods in the rear and would just as soon let the head unit power those...although if it would really help, would consider a 4 channel amp to power those as well.

I will not install a sub.

I assume that I can add a small amp to the stock 02 head unit without too much trouble. What else will I need?

So.....a 2 channel or 4 channel and a nice small one that is just powerful enough. Size and make recommendations? I need to decide in one week.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2002, 04:26 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

So have you installed the Infinity yet? If yoo have what is still missing that an amp will do? You want is louder? Cleaner Sound?

I installed 2 sets of components in MY02. The stock head unit drove them very well. I wanted an MP3 Player and alittle more power, so with an amp ready to be installed, I installed the Mp3 player. Once I heard how well it sounded, I gave up on the amp installation. I was happy with what I have, and I sold the amp (will be if I can find the book)

As for Amp install location. The Amp I had would have fit on a board on MDF cut to fit IN the Spare tire (W/O removing the tire). This seams to be the best place without losing any space at all. The amp was 25X4 made by Orion. Remember it is not how big the amp is rated, but how much it can deliver cleanly to the speakers.
Old 06-30-2002, 04:55 PM

Jet Puke, I am looking at doing much the same as you are. I would love to hear how the speakers fit. I also have a 2002 Blue car. Go to www.crutchfield.com and look at the 2 channel class T Blauplanket (sp?) amps. They are the smallest I have seen and are supposed to run very cool with the class T amps. They also state the cover can be removed for an even smaller install. I think either amp would fit under the seat. I will be home tomorrow and am going to rough out a mock up with the dimensions and see if it will fit. The amp in the spare also sounds interesting but I would prefer to go under the seat. George
Old 06-30-2002, 05:03 PM

Update, here are the specs on the amp I am looking at. It is available at crutchfield for 249.00 If anyone knows if it will fit under the seat let me know. It looks very compact with the cover off! George

[
Big sound from a small package ? Blaupunkt's PA2100 amplifier is simply amazing! Blaupunkt uses innovative Class "T" technology to create an amp with incredible power and sonic fidelity.

The PA2100's highly-efficient operation gives you two installation advantages: an extremely small footprint (mounts just about anywhere without sacrificing cargo space), and very little heat generation (fits in tight spaces without overheating). Thanks to the low operating temperature, Blaupunkt's designers can house this stylish amplifier in sleek, modern-looking, lightweight plastic.

Built-in crossovers send the right frequencies to the right speakers, and a subsonic filter eliminates energy-wasting inaudible frequencies for improved clarity.

Key Features:

* stereo, bridged mono or Tri-way output
* 100 watts x 2 at 4 ohms
* 150 watts x 2 at 2 ohms
* 300 watts x 1 in bridged mode
* requires 8-gauge power and ground leads ? wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
* Class "T" amplifier technology
* MOSFET power supplies
* includes blue, red, orange, yellow, purple, and smoke colored lenses to cover controls on top of the amp
* speaker-level input adapters
* preamp outputs
* 50-250 Hz variable high- and low-pass crossovers, 12 dB/octave
* selectable 10 dB bass boost at 45 Hz
* subsonic filter at 10 Hz eliminates energy-wasting inaudible low frequencies
* remote gain control
* 9"W x 2-3/4"H x 7-9/16"D
* amp can be removed from plastic chassis for a hideaway installation (dimensions without chassis: 8-3/4"W x 2"H x 5-7/8"D)
* 1-year warranty
Old 07-01-2002, 12:00 PM

The Blaupunkt amps is the ones we went with. Couldn't find any others that fit under the seats of the 2002, maybe even older models. You can see some of the installation done at
ww.s2ki.com/imagecatalog/user/DJAdams
You should find the installation interesting.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:03 PM

You may find that the Blaupunkts are more attractively priced here than at the big C. I don't think they stock the PA2100 but the PA2150 has more power and is priced less.
Old 07-05-2002, 06:59 PM

as far as the amp goes id say vertically on that back trunk wall i really regret not puttin mine there
Old 07-07-2002, 12:21 PM

I have 2 Alpine 1457 amps in the well in the back. Of course, I no longer have tools, spare, etc. - but I have tunes....
Old 07-07-2002, 03:48 PM

I put an older RF Punch 45 under my drivers seat with plenty of room to spare.....only minimal loss of seat travel and did not stick out of the front....you could look up the dimensions from the RF website to get the rough dimensions...this was a very easy install....only need to run the wires half way through the car.

Old 07-08-2002, 03:42 AM

I just ordered a Blaupunkt PA2100 to be shipped here and am getting Infinity 605 components to install as soon as I receive my adapter from Lucid. Hopefully, my plan will work. Thanks for the suggestions.

What will I need in the way of wire, line converter, etc. to install the amp? I am keeping the stock head unit.

Quick Reply: Amp size question