S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Is Anyone Using a BlueAnt Q2 Bluetooth Headset

Old 06-04-2011, 06:07 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Is Anyone Using a BlueAnt Q2 Bluetooth Headset

I am looking for a Bluetooth headset that I can use outside and in the S2k. I'd use it in the Supra TT, but that care is nearly always windows up; the other cars have integrated Bluetooth.

There are VERY few meaningful reviews of convertible usage online; most of them are complaining that nothing works. I drive the S2k windows down; it is pretty windy.

The top-rated Jawbone Era has received poor reviews for convertible usage. However the BlueAnt Q2 seems to have some good reviews; these are on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-c...sin=B0043AJD9M. This is on Edmunds, although they don't have tests of other headsets: http://www.edmunds.com/car-technolog...h-headset.html .

However, it isn't perfect. My question is has anyone here tried it?

Thanks,

David
Old 06-05-2011, 04:56 AM

Thought I'd add something I found on the Jawbone.

First, this is a description of how the Jawbone works: http://eu.jawbone.com/epages/Jawbone...roduct/Science. To net it out the headset has 2-3 mics and a voice activity sensor that reads vibrations from your jawbone. It uses that last piece of information as input to the filtering algorithms.

While this provides a very powerful additional tool, it isn't fool-proof. The examples in high noise areas on the Jawbone site have lost quite a bit of the voice quality while remaining clear. Their newer version continually attempt to improve the quality of their algorithms, and presumably both the voice activity sensor and microphone technology is also improving.

However, it is mics on the unit that provide the sound. The more noise the software needs to filter, the worse the result. Apparently the factory wind protection for the mics is pretty minimal On two forums people have reported taking the foam used for wind protection on other mics, cutting in and gluing it to the Jawbone. Apparently this makes a huge improvement, although is a bit unsightly.

From the BlueAnt reviews, it appears they incorporate a better wind protection scheme from the factory.

Another well reviewed headset is the over the head, mic with foam cover in front of the mouth VXi BlueParrot BT250-XT: http://www.vxicorp.com/products/blue...dsets/b250-xt/. People report good results in high noise areas, mostly noisy trucks. However, there aren't many reports of how well it does in wind and the recorded sounds on the internet seem hollow, probably a result of noise cancellation algorithms and possibly mic quality. It is an older design and lacks other functions.

One more note on the BlueAnt Q2. As mentioned, it doesn't have a mute feature. Reading reviews, it apparently also puts the phone into silent mode while connected. Some people report this as a problem since they don't get any indication of messages and e-mails received while the headphone is on.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If top down is a must you can't beat the Blueparrot B250. It is probably far too large for you to consider though. It gets stellar reviews from people that rely on them and work in extremely noisy environments.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by takeshi
If top down is a must you can't beat the Blueparrot B250. It is probably far too large for you to consider though. It gets stellar reviews from people that rely on them and work in extremely noisy environments.

I've seen the reviews about noisy environments, less about its use in convertibles. It is $68 at Amazon. There is a difference between noise and wind though. While audible, the online videos of the BlueParrot B250-XT seem to show significant noise reduction artifacts.

There is also the theBoom V4, a wired headset that makes direct convertible sound quality claims. Video of the boom in a convertible: [media]http://theboom.dev.fledglingdesign.com/video/theBoom-V4-in-a-Convertible.mp4[/media]. It is $150 though.

Jabra makes claims about wind noise with their Wave, which has a boom and includes a foam cover. However, it is a bit pricey. Newegg had a bulk pack version for $30, but not returnable and without the foam or the second ear gel.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcBPeDI3zl8[/media]

I did order the BlueAnt Q2 today for $62 with shipping. Hopefully it will work, but it is returnable. I may try the BlueParrot in addition; the big size would still be useful dictating at the computer or in long conversations in the car if the BlueAnt doesn't cut it.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:13 PM

theBoom video it wouldn't let me add to the previous post:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2BGi2AgIvw[/media]
Old 06-18-2011, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know its a few days late, but i have the Q2. its the only headset that is loud enough for me to wear with the top UP. i dont possibly see why you would want to use it top down. its great for everyday use though!
Old 06-18-2011, 09:24 AM

Have you tried it top down? I got the Q2 but my wife appropriated it before I tested top down (it arrived on a rainy day). I did test the BlueParrot top down and it works...at least to 50mph. It comes with a standard and large mic ffoam and a standard vinyl and optional foam ear cover. Big and foam are what we want; without the foam ear piece it can be hard to hear because of wind noise around the ear piece.

Why top down? I like to drive top down in the spring, summer, and fall and still need to be on the phone. In the past, I've had to park the S2k and use my QX56 or E320CDI with built-in bluetooth so I could use the phone while traveling.

Downside on the Blueparrot is that it is older, non-A2DP technology. As a result, it won't work with Vlingo.

I passed on the Jawbone Era for three reasons: lack of wind shielding on the microphones, a someone hollow (truncated highs) sound in the vendor samples, and a bit to much work on semi-useful gimmicks (the shake stuff) rather than practical stuff like mute.

One note not clear on the BlueAnt site is that the BlueAnt software doesn't work with Android 2.2...only the new generic Vlingo software. However that works well. Still, I wish there was an equalizer that could be applied to the headset speaker.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im sorry i have not tried it top down. if i have, it must not have worked because i dont remember. but overall, its the loudest headset ive used... ive had the PT 975, 925, and different jawbones. good luck!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:44 PM

I've been using the BlueParrot top down. The comment I get is it sounds better than the built in bluetooth in our MB. It comes with two different foams for the mic and foam and vinyl covers for the ear piece. Only the foam earpiece works in the car, and the big foam works better than the smaller one on the mic.

The only problem is no AD2P, so no navigation or text messages with text to speech.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm well aware of the difference between wind noise and background noise. It's a bit late for you now but there are reviews from convertible drivers recommending the Blueparrot. I just don't keep links like that handy.