S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Claifying the HID confusion.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Claifying the HID confusion.

So I am the proud new owner of an '08 s2k and I am wanting to change my HID bulbs to output a slightly higher kelvin. After reading a ton of post here and searching the forum it only made me more confused as people kept asking about installing HID kits on their cars, after market kits, and retrofit bulbs. I was under the impression that our cars came stock with HID and that I would only need to change the bulb with another of the correct size but with a different kelvin rating. Am I missing something here or is the situation on our cars more complicated?

Along the same note what are people's thoughts on a good reliable 6000K bulb to use? I would like to get the slight blue tint to the light but still have good output.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-25-2012, 11:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Stick with the stock bulb, 6000k will lose a TON of output in comparison. And it looks like crap too. Stock bulb is PERFECT, it compliments the amazing S2000 projectors extremely well.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Disgustipated
Stick with the stock bulb, 6000k will lose a TON of output in comparison. And it looks like crap too. Stock bulb is PERFECT, it compliments the amazing S2000 projectors extremely well.

I feel the stock bulb looks too yellow almost like a brighter SYLVANIA SilverStar halogen bulb. The light output from 6000k will indeed diminish from stock but it would still be far brighter than any halogen on the market. The following was more of the kind of info I was looking for, I found this on S2k Hid Review I'll just copy and paste the relevant parts so others can still see the info in the future.

"The Honda S2000 uses D2S type HID bulbs, which is a common type for car that has stock HID kit. One thing that’s great about the D2S HID is that the after market replacement is very easily accessible. You do not need to go back to the dealership if your HID burns out. And the after market price is generally way lower than the dealership.
Most good quality after market D2S HID bulbs are compatible with stock HID ballasts. This makes it easier if your bulb goes out, you just need to replace the bulb rather than having to replace the complete HID kit. Because of this reason, many people do not only replace their D2S bulbs on the S2000, they also change them to get a different light color."
Old 08-26-2012, 08:10 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes all S2000's come with HIDS from the factory.
They use a Phillips 85122 D2S bulb.
After 1500hrs of use the HID bulb is at 50% of its original brightness(turning more yellowish to some people). I replace my bulbs once a year.
You can get many replacements, the hottest new bulb on the market now is the OSRAM CBI bulb, it is rated as 5000k but actually has more lumens than a 4300k bulb.Phillips 6000k bulbs are actually purplish, i tried them, and switched again. Only buy from authorized retailers as HID bulbs are faked just as much as Rolex watches, fake bulbs will burn out fast, have different colors, etc. If you cruise over to HIDplant.com you can read and see some good reviews
Old 08-26-2012, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
Yes all S2000's come with HIDS from the factory.
They use a Phillips 85122 D2S bulb.
After 1500hrs of use the HID bulb is at 50% of its original brightness(turning more yellowish to some people). I replace my bulbs once a year.
You can get many replacements, the hottest new bulb on the market now is the OSRAM CBI bulb, it is rated as 5000k but actually has more lumens than a 4300k bulb.Phillips 6000k bulbs are actually purplish, i tried them, and switched again. Only buy from authorized retailers as HID bulbs are faked just as much as Rolex watches, fake bulbs will burn out fast, have different colors, etc. If you cruise over to HIDplant.com you can read and see some good reviews

Thanks man huge help, exactly the type of info I was looking for. I think I'll try the OSRAM CBI bulbs, do you have a trusted place to buy them from? I definitely do not want to get screwed with a knockoff. haha
Old 08-26-2012, 04:02 PM

pm'd
Old 08-27-2012, 05:23 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Imo 6k isn't bad, but it is the upper limit, and it won't be as bright as 4500-5000k. Also, I think HIDs can lose up to 50% brightness after what, one year? Simply replacing old bulbs with new will give you a kick.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I got those Osram cbi bulbs and think they are great! Output is very nice and the perfect white with a little blue/purple to it.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do the OSRAMS stack up to the 85122+

Im searching around and it seems the OSRAM is 190ish for a pair. Does that sound about right?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:32 PM

yup thats about right

Quick Reply: Claifying the HID confusion.