S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Diamond Audio vs. MB Quart

Old 11-08-2001, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diamond Audio vs. MB Quart

Time to upgrade the Stook sound system so it sounds more like music and less like wind noise. I found the MB Quart RSC 216's for $189, and the Diamond Audio M561'a for $219. I know speakers are DEFINITELY a matter of personal preference, but I'd be curious to hear thoughts on the pro's/cons of the two. (which one is brighter, smoother, more efficient, etc...) Are the DA's worth $30 more? (assuming both are being powered by at least 100 watts/channel)

And hell, while I'm at it, how about Crunch amps? I know their inexpensive for the power rating, but are they "cheap", or just inexpensive?

Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have.
Old 11-09-2001, 06:26 AM

I can't speak to the MB Quart, but I have the Diamond Audio 6.5" hex components and a single 12" Diamond MacDaddy sub in my Grand Cherokee and absolutely love them. The music reproduction is incredibly clean and life-like. There is not the "tinny" sound of the metal components (I didn't care as much for the Diamond drivers made out of aluminum or whatever it is).

I just bought my S2000 last week, and have done nothing to the sound system yet. I don't know that I will do as much to the S2000 as I did to the Grand Cherokee. Reason? 1) cars are an awful sound studio; 2) convertibles are even worse sound studios than enclosed vehicles. I am of the mindset that it is a waste to put too much money into the sound system of a convertible where so much of the music quality is lost. Don't get me wrong; I'll probably at a minimum replace the stock speakers (I have never seen a stock speaker that is not a piece'o'crap made out of paper). However, I don't think I'll be looking at the high end of components for replacement.

What has everyone had success/failure with so far for replacement speakers?
Old 11-13-2001, 04:39 PM

I just bought the same MB Quarts. Haven't installed them because I'm having got the amp yet. I bought them because they were recommended on the board. Supposedly, you have to install a spacer to get them to fit right.
Old 11-13-2001, 05:35 PM

MB Quarts OWNS
Old 11-14-2001, 06:31 AM

both are high quality speakes, and both companies, has beeen accused of producing "harsh" sounding speakers. I feel that much of this criticism is undeserved. I have installed both diamond m5 comps with hard nad soft tweets, as well as mb quart Qs and references, and to me, they sound very similiar. Though I prefer a more laid back sound of a Morel tweet, these two sets are both very detailed and definitely not lacking in midbass when powered and installed right...

if I were you, I would go with a cheaper set--mbquart, if money was an issue...but I dont think you will be disappointed with either.

b
Old 11-14-2001, 04:31 PM

razzhead,
if you interested in paying an additional $80, i've got diamond audio's top-of-line hex s600s components. the tweets are made of silk so you won't have tinginess of titanium. $300 including shipping. let me know if you're interested.
ric
Old 11-14-2001, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the offer. Sounds like a great deal. But I already went with Crystal Mobilesound. I know the Diamonds are great speakers, but I decided I just didn't want to spend $250 or $300 for front speakers. Powered with a coupla hundred clean watts and a good sub in the trunk, I think the Crystals will work fine for me.
Old 04-26-2002, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the more high end speaker since the Installer had an S2000 himself; his shop sold both speakers MB and Diamond Audio. Even though the MB was less I chose the Diamond Audio for $499. per set included tweeters.

Tan
Old 05-07-2002, 05:44 PM

I took my car to Alton's Audio with a V12 amp, Infiniti kappa components (door speakers BLOWN) and he told me to stick some JL's in the door INSTEAD of Diamonds or anything else... www.altonsaudio.com
Old 05-08-2002, 05:12 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Whitelightning
[B]I took my car to Alton's Audio with a V12 amp, Infiniti kappa components (door speakers BLOWN) and he told me to stick some JL's in the door INSTEAD of Diamonds or anything else...

Quick Reply: Diamond Audio vs. MB Quart