S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Help with Sub & amp question please

Old 01-28-2008, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Sub & amp question please

My problem is after hooking up the amp it keeps blowing the fuse on the amp or on the power wire leading to the amp. It also has blown two 12 mtx subs each at a different time. I've checked all my wires and its hooked up correctly. Can this result be from not having a good ground or not getting enough power from the small car battery? Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks. It'll sound fine when first hooked up/turned on after about 10 15 minutes it then starts losing juice then the subs go out or fuses starts blowing out.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Jrz

It sounds like you should get another amp swapped to see if it's that. The subs shouldn't be blowing fuses for no reason. If nothing is loose and it works for 10-15 minutes, first thing that I would suspect is the amp. Gl
Old 01-29-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Your amp is bad.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:38 PM

^ I was hoping it wasn't that.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesnt necessarily mean the amps bad. Theres not enough info to determine. What type of amp is it, make model, subs, make model resistance? What size power and ground wire, what size fuses in amp and in power wire? Is the amp new or used? Could the previous owner of swapped the fuses out to the amp. Does the amp have a safe mode, what resistance are the subs wired to, you could be just overloading the amp?
Old 01-30-2008, 08:34 AM

it seems like your wires are either a different gauge, amp is not functioning correctly. Also I have a small battery with an amp hooked up and I have no problem with it at all. you should also check your wires with a multi-meter and see what goes on with your cables not hooked up into the amp. Try testing the power wire and ground and then try testing your remote turn on wire to see how many volts its pushing out.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:13 AM

^ thanks guys. I'm not quite sure what model the amp is but its a 2 channel Alpine(I'm at work). The model with that metal flap that you have to open to get to the cross over/hp lp controls. Reccomends an 8 gauge which I have & 2 30 fuse. It was working fine in my brother's SC300 until I moved it to my car. Previously it ran the two MTX 12s fine, not bridged. Then when I moved it to the S it blew the 2 12s each at a different time. I have the ground bolted to a bolt by brace near the fuel pipe. I had used sand paper to scuff it for a good ground. Is that metal any good? Now if I turn up the volume it blows the fuses either by the battery ot the amp. The remote I rechecked and its the right wire that is blue that says remote on it.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:49 AM

That should be a good ground. I have been using it for a while with two different setups with no problem. You might want to examine the power wire. Get some slack on it and actually pull it out of the grommet, or however you got into the cabin, and make sure the shielding on the wire didn't strip at some point. It could be shorting. I assume the same could apply to your remote line and the ground too, but it's most likely the power. I'd say either your amp is toast or there is a short in your wiring somewhere. Good luck
Old 02-04-2008, 08:09 AM

Try to disconnect the power cable from the battery. Hook that end to a multimeter and another to ground and check for continuity. It may work...the amp could be leaking ground or your wires could be pinched somewhere and grounding out.

If you check what everyone else suggests and it checks out fine...It's almost safe to say it's the amp. Do you have access to another amp to test this theory?

Goodluck!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:06 AM

Well, I tried another amp & everything seems fine. The amp seems to get drained or the sound gets lower and lower the longer I have it on and bumpin. Must be a power issue. The bass would start getting lower and fades out.

Quick Reply: Help with Sub & amp question please