S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Image Dynamics Horns

Old 03-23-2001, 01:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey what's up everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with horns from image dynamics.
I've read that these horns really make up for bad imaging in a car's environment.
I'm not a s2k owner right now, but I'm just planning on how I can mod the car...
also, these horns go under the dash..think there's room?
anyways check out this website for more info
http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/products/horns.html
Old 03-23-2001, 06:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I once read the moon was made of green cheese, but that didn't make it true In an automotive environment, the horns are going to do no more for imaging than a set of well-placed tweeters. If you aim the horns at the floor, the imaging will die just as if you had placed the tweeters down there...

Spend your hard-earned money on a decent pair of separates if you are really worried about the imaging.
Old 03-23-2001, 08:34 AM

I have read many reviews of Richard Clarks famous IASCA-Nationals-winning Buick Grand National and he had imaging that was to die for... he used Waveguide compression-driver horns (just like Image Dynamics). His were custom made and tuned for his car (they were $10,000 for the pair if I remember correctly). The thing about these horns, the mid/high waves can be tuned/directed for a variety of environments. I would expect these to image beautifully. I went with traditional drivers because I didn't want to take the time to modify the fiberglass horns of these compression-drivers to work in a convertible.

I would definitely consider myself an audiophile and have probably spent at least $50,000 on audio systems over the years... Imaging is most important to me. The only two installations that will image well enough for my taste would be midrange/tweeter in the right/left corners of the dash reflecting off the windshield or well-tuned compression-driver horns...

MY OPIONION... no flames
Old 03-23-2001, 09:35 AM
Banned

Yeah...no offense taken from you guys...
I was just curious if you guys knew these alternatives cuz audio options (a really good shop in the LA area) installs a lot of these. I haven't heard them in person yet. But the thought of not cutting any of the dash, parts of the door just appealed to me. + they are used in competition vehicles so they shouldn't sound too shabby.
anyways...there was this install on their website of another convertible. Although the SL500 is bigger than the s2k, i'm shooting some ideas out there for those who care... =) below is the link
(the convertible is all the way on the bottom)
http://www.audiooptions.com/installation_gallery.html