S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Ipod Adapters: Stock Headunit

Old 12-30-2006, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod Adapters: Stock Headunit

i'm trying to decide on an ipod adapter for my 05 with factory radio. it's between the neo and the usa spec.

http://www.mp3yourcar.com/productdetails.a...5&productID=269
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-amI4PtRMIV7/c...sp?I=581PA11H2Y

i was leaning more on the neo tho because it looks like the usa-spec does playlists only where the neo can play anything. does that sound right?

anyone have either one and opinions on it?
thanks
Old 12-31-2006, 12:01 AM

That Neo is actually an ice-link for AP2's which has the worst reliability thus far, do a search and you'll see how bad it is, really streaky, after about a week of research weighing all my options even a new Alpine HU, the most cost-effective means to get my Ipod connected to the S's sound system is the USA-Spec PA11-HON2 adapter, it's cheaper and proven way more reliable than Neo from what I've read, plus you can return no charge to crutchfield if you don't like it, too bad they're all sold out at the moment (Hmm, maybe an indicator of something).
Old 01-02-2007, 10:10 AM

cool, thanks for the input
Old 01-03-2007, 11:37 AM

What about the DICE iPod Integrator (i-Honda-R2)? Is this what you are referring to when you said "ice-link for AP2's"?? I've been thinking about buying one of these.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by jstar,Jan 3 2007, 12:37 PM
What about the DICE iPod Integrator (i-Honda-R2)? Is this what you are referring to when you said "ice-link for AP2's"?? I've been thinking about buying one of these.
What I'm talking about is what is currently being sold as a "Neo" adapter who bought out the company that makes the ice-link, apparently the AP1's get the adapter made by Neo which is cool but then the AP2's get the ice-link adapter even when it's advertised as a Neo when buying from the vendor. Trust me, these adapters all have stories and it takes a while to get them all straight, hopefully, I got everything figured out which I think I do. The DICE adapter is something else entirely, it is $10 more than the USA Spec unit and I personally haven't found as much information on it but it seems to have the exact same features as the USA Spec adapter but Crutchfield doesn't sell it so there goes your free "get-out-of-jail" card should this thing not function as expected.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:01 PM

the dice looks better, it looks like it supports song title and artist title.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:05 PM

Makes sense Rio S2K. Thanks for clearing that up. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a typo in there or something seeing that DICE and ice are very close.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by [AP2-2NV
,Jan 3 2007, 01:01 PM] the dice looks better, it looks like it supports song title and artist title.
1) This feature only works if the radio supports "CD-Text" which I don't think our stock radios do since the only information you can read off the display is e.g. "track 1", "track 2", ... and not detailed song title or artist title info. You can see this info on you Ipod's display anyway since it remains active during adapter usage.

2) If the display is really important to you then I'd suggest getting an aftermarket head unit like any Alpine but then you have deal with the extra headache of adding a DCI (Dash Control Integration) kit so you can use your stock controls to control your music which then gets into IR(Infrared, i.e. wireless) vs. wired connections and their stabilities (Personally, not for me since I don't care that much about the display)

2) I'm not too concerned with the display because my radio door is gonna be closed anyway making for a sleeker, less "right knee-intrusive" driving experiene.

At the end, I believe both units display the same info on the stock radio, i.e. not very descriptive info, only stuff like "track 1", "track 2", etc. because you can't change how the internals of the stock radio work, after all, these units are "adapters" not complete replacements.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:21 PM

thanks for the explanation

looks like i'll be picking up a usa spec when they're back in stock.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by [AP2-2NV
,Jan 3 2007, 03:21 PM] thanks for the explanation

looks like i'll be picking up a usa spec when they're back in stock.
Just checked Crutchfield and it looks like they're expecting them to be in on 2/12/07 and you can preorder to reserve yours but I still haven't but probably will.

Quick Reply: Ipod Adapters: Stock Headunit