S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Looking to get a little louder

Old 06-15-2015, 05:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking to get a little louder

I’d like to be able to hear my stereo better when cruising with the top down. When I first bought the car several years ago I was quite disappointed that the stock system could not be heard at all above about 50mph. I soon installed new speakers and a head unit. I’ll put the specs below.

The system starts distorting if I try to play the music somewhat loudly at cruising speeds. I’d like to improve this. Is there any way to do this without installing an amplifier? I’m quite capable of installing one but I’d really prefer to not have to run all that wiring throughout the car.

I think it is the head unit distorting, not the speakers. Is there a different head unit I could get that will have more clean power? I have the DCI for the pioneer and I’d like to continue using that…I think it is only compatible with Pioneer and Sony units but I’m not certain. Are there any head units out there that can be bridged since I’m only running two speakers?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Speakers:

Boston Acoustics S65RC 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers
• 2-way 6-1/2" speakers (pair)
• copolymer woofer cone with rubber surround
• 3/4" Type-S3 soft dome tweeter
• power range: 2-35 watts RMS (100 watts peak power)
• frequency response: 58-20,000 Hz
• sensitivity: 92 dB
• top-mount depth: 1-15/16"
Boston Acoustics S65RC on Crutchfield

Head Unit:

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

built-in MOSFET amplifier (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)

DEH-P000UB on Crutchfield site

Old 06-15-2015, 10:29 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I have never personally owned a Sony HU, however the specs on this unit are unreal (40 watts RMS). It might be worth considering if you prefer not to install a separate amplifier.

http://www.ceoutlook.com/2015/01/06/...no-amp-needed/

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XB10...100BT&skipvs=T

EDIT:
Btw, I just checked and the wired Modifry DCI for Pioneer HUs is also compatible with Sony.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by aphex4000
I have never personally owned a Sony HU, however the specs on this unit are unreal (40 watts RMS). It might be worth considering if you prefer not to install a separate amplifier.

http://www.ceoutlook.com/2015/01/06/...no-amp-needed/

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XB10...100BT&skipvs=T

EDIT:
Btw, I just checked and the wired Modifry DCI for Pioneer HUs is also compatible with Sony.
Thanks for the reply. Since I posted this morning I've been doing some searching and came across that unit as well. I've always thought Sony makes the ugliest units and while that one is better than most I'm still not in love.

I've been considering the Pioneer MVHX560BT head unit along with the small Pioneer GM-D1004 amplifier. I don't really need the head unit but it is cheap and has bluetooth. It's nice how tiny it is since it has no cd player. One concern I have is that the amplifier has no gain adjustment. I know I said I'd like to avoid an amplifier but if I can easily install this under the dash I'm cool with that. I don't want to deal with running wires to the trunk

MVHX560BT on Amazon
GM-D1004 Amplifier on Amazon
Old 06-15-2015, 02:46 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I would recommend this combo for a car without tweeter door cards:
Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X998 (I have a different Kenwood HU, but would get this if I had to do it over again.)
Kicker 40CS654 Pair of 6.5" (Ignore the specs on Amazon, they're 100W RMS per speaker at 4ohm.)
Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 Punch 300-Watt 2-Channel (Fits under the seat with ease.)

I'm not sure about the new Sony HU linked, but I doubt it's much different than any other HU at high volume. Most HUs will improve sound over the stock stereo by leaps and bounds, but that is due to the signal processing they offer and not their built in amps.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

check out the Alpine power pack. its not an amp in the tradition size sense but packs 45watts rms if i remember correctly. i also think it CAN be bridged. but i think your distortion issue is either the EQ you have set on the head unit or the fact that your speakers are only rated for 35 watts max RMS.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:12 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by deception9
check out the Alpine power pack. its not an amp in the tradition size sense but packs 45watts rms if i remember correctly. i also think it CAN be bridged. but i think your distortion issue is either the EQ you have set on the head unit or the fact that your speakers are only rated for 35 watts max RMS.
That HUs peak output per channel is barely over the RMS rating of those speakers, the distortion is due to the low output of the HU amp compared to the speakers' rating (http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm). At minimum, he needs a separate amp to drive those speakers.

P.S.: Also good to read: http://www.bcae1.com/speakrat.htm
Old 06-17-2015, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by deception9
I have the Pioneer GM-D1004 amplifier coming in today. It is very similar to the Alpine power pack. In bridged form it can produce 2X 90W continuous. My current speakers can't handle that much power so I will not bridge. I'll post my results.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 1,563 Likes on 929 Posts

There is something else you can do. Local laws, discretion and common sense have an impact here.
Use headphones. There are some very discreet ones that allow ambient sound in (or actively cancel 'noise') ; some even tie in a phone for calls with an incorporated microphone.
There are the kind that are shaped like a U that go around the back of your head, others that are wired to each other and may be connected by bluetooth or hard wired.
I have tried them all (I get to go to China) and I find they work very well. The sound is killer. You can find a volume that won't hurt your hearing, allows for critical ambient sounds, and still has a great experience. I must admit much of the time I stlll enjoy the sound of the engine.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:42 PM

I got the amplifier installed today. I did not bridge as I was afraid it would be way too much power for the BA speakers.

There was no significant improvement in sound quality. I think the speakers are just maxed out.

I have a gift card for Best Buy so I think I'm going to try out the Kicker CS65 speakers.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:10 AM

I was a little concerned I was wasting my time when I pulled the Kickers out of the box. They look like less of a speaker compared to the BA. Check out the photo (Kicker is on the left). Much smaller magnet. I Installed one 40CS654 speaker so I could compare to the Boston Acoustics I already have. I was not impressed. They delivered very little base compared to the Boston Acoustics. I see no reason to keep them so they are going back. Now I need to find some higher quality coaxials

Quick Reply: Looking to get a little louder