S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Looking to mount in dash 7" scrren/gps/cd/dvd etc

Old 03-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up Looking to mount in dash 7" scrren/gps/cd/dvd etc

Ok well I am been trying to get some sort of an in dash gps/music library thing for a while. I think I am actually going to try out one of the ebay 7" touchscreen/gps units as most of the parts in them are name brand. Laser is hitachi, engine is samsung etc. So hopefully will be decent at least.
My question is, does anyone know how hard to fit them in the dash it is? Meaning how much space is there behind the dash to mount?
I am guessing the JDM nav bezel won't work. Is that a good asumption? The screen has to open in order to put cd's and dvd's in and all so would have to have a bezel that would allow that as well.
If I were to go with a custom bezel who has done one? Are there places that will make one for you? If so anyone have an idea of cost for one?

Here is the unit I am looking at or one similar to it. Figure I will either just make a mount for my Iphone to hook up to it or just listen to musi via an SD card filled with music or something. Don't want to use cd's much anymore.

in dash screen unit.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to let you know fitting a system like that one is very hard requires cutting into or reshaping a/c vents behind the dash...just a screen and a standalone unit are a better option....

P.S. im actualy in the process of doing this same thing using an Alpine 7 inch touch screen and Alpine DVA-5210 DVD player...just havent had the time to start hacking my dash
Old 03-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Anyone what stand alone gps/hdd etc there are? Don't know where to find though. If that is the case that could work. Especially if it is somehting that could fit in the regular radio location and just wire it up to a 7" touch screen lcd or something.
Or even just wire it to the trunk or something. Removed my spare so could fit next to my amp or something.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:00 PM

Alpine has two standalone units the DVA-5205 and the DVA-5210....they fit in the stock radio location and just wire up to the screen....The main difference between the two is the 5210 is touch screen compatible.

The 5205 can be found for around $120 off ebay...the 5210 runs about $250...

Just so you know im using the Alpine DVA-5210 and a Alpine TME-M740BT touch screen which also has bluetooth built in. The screen runs about $260....

NEVERMIND just re read your post and your lookin for somethig a lil more advanced then just the DVD player sorry....
Old 03-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Former Sponsor

What are the capabilities of that? Is it just a dvd player? I don't really care about that. Looking for mainly GPS and music storage or something like that so I don't need cd's or can hook the ipod up to it and control via the touchscreen.
I also didn't find any on ebay.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:04 PM

Ill find the old thread about this they may help you a little more
Old 03-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Ok cool. Yeah I found on refurbished one on ebay and it is just a dvd/cd player. I really need somehting like that but with GPS built in for touchscreen and then a huge plus would be a hdd for music or at least a sd card slot or somehting that I could put a sd card filled with music into. But what I really want and would be necessary for me to buy would be gps, cd/dvd if in stock location, and music storage or connectivity. Bluetooth would be awesome too. Back up camera least necessary but would be cool.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:15 PM

The nice thing aboout the screen ive got is it has built in Bluetooth and a dedicated port for backup camera...CD/DVD in stock location would be possible...but from other installs ive seen you would have to get a standalone GPSunnit if you want GPS and those can get quite expensive very quickly...but let me find that thread for you
Old 03-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Something like this is could work. Seems to have most of it all in one. Don't know if I could fill the SD card with 4gb of music or if that is an exapnsion for the gps or something.
Looks like I could connect my cd player to it no problem and if I want could switch my head unit for a dvd/cd player or something to get video on it as well. Might be a good choice to go with.
Anyone know anything about this?

Liliput 7" gps/windows unit
Old 03-03-2009, 07:20 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=142163&st=25

Quick Reply: Looking to mount in dash 7" scrren/gps/cd/dvd etc