S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Looking to replace radio

Old 01-06-2011, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to replace radio

Hey guys
I'm looking to replace my head unit with something that has auxiliary in. but i don't want to lose my controls on my left hand side is there a head unit that can do that?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2011, 01:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you're going to lose your dash controls no matter what HU you get unless you get a modifry dci
Old 01-07-2011, 06:04 AM

you need to buy a radio that has ability to accept steering wheel controls, then you will need a wire harness to adapt new radio to vechile wiring, if you buy the one from modifry, his wire harness adapter has the module to retain your controls, this has been discussed many times, there are cheaper on the market but his has most featuers and works best/fastest. i have install dozens of both, use modify's!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:45 AM

honestly i liked having the side functions but ive gone months without them now and i dont really care much anymore.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by dsms2k,Jan 7 2011, 12:45 PM
honestly i liked having the side functions but ive gone months without them now and i dont really care much anymore.
Ditto. I've gone about 3 months without the left audio controls and do not miss them.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:17 PM

I have an '03 with stock audio currently. I want to upgrade the head unit, and speakers (including subwoofer). I need an amplifer, right? Also, is it necessary to wire the car as shown here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=248785

Or is that only for high-power systems? I just want a decent Alpine or Sony head unit to accomodate my smartphone (not an iPod) for music playback and charging, and to replace the speakers in the car so they don't blow out. I definitely want to keep the dash controls, though, so I'll be purchasing Modifry's DCI to go with the new setup. I never really crank music, but it'd be nice to be able to say my system isn't complete crap like the OEM one.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:03 AM

wiring looks right except i didnt rewire my door speakers. seems like a waste to me. probably cant tell much difference, its debateable.

check into kenwood hu. seems to have more features and the price is compatable. you will be surprised how much even the hu upgrade enhances the sound quality and loudness.

i also went with a 4 channel amp. 2 channels to run doors and 2 into 1 for the sub.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 PM

Hmm, you're right—I should replace the HU first and work on the rest as needed.

Just for future reference, though, where should I put the amplifier?

This article says:

If you are installing subwoofers it's usually best to put the amplifier in the trunk next to or attached to your subwoofer enclosure. If you are going to power your main car speakers with the amplifier then it may be better to put the amp under the passenger's seat.
If I end up wanting to do as you've done and power both the subwoofer and the speakers from the amplifier, should it go in the boot or in the cabin? Also, do the stock S2000 speakers handle your upgraded HU and amp setup adequately? I wouldn't want them blowing out because of the new parts.

As for the HU, mansito was very nice to PM me with his experiences installing a Sony DSX-S300BTX. It sounds like a great option, but others seem to advocate Alpines, Pioneers, Kenwoods, etc. What's a good place to start in determining which option is best for me?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:57 PM

well i got the footwell sub from here on the forum from 2big so my box is in the footwell.

i decided to mount my amp in the truck. didnt want to mess with the seat. plus then its really easy to adjust the amp settings.

some have removed the spare tire and mounted the amp there thats also an option or the sub box is fine too.

the stock speakers will be fine on just a hu. they will actually sound a hell of alot better. just make sure and set your tone settings accordingly and dont try and run alot of bass through them.

just for fun i actually ran my amp on a low setting on the stock doors for a while and i was impressed by the sound. swtiched to alpine type r's and they sound amazing.

best place to determine which head unit is in the store. try them out yourself and see what you like the best. personally i didnt like the sony, it felt cheap to me and i didnt like the functions. loved the look of the pioneer but same thing functions sucked. alpine looks nice sounds good but ultimately for the same price the kenwood had more options, a better display and matches the interior nicely.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:41 PM

Oh yeah... stores... I've heard of them.

Lol. I'll swing by BestBuy when the weather clears up a bit and see what they've got in stock. Hopefully I can find something I like. Amazon will probably be the cheapest place to actually make the purchase, though.

You and mansito have been fantastic. Thank you. I'll post my progress either here or in a separate thread as I receive the parts and start installing.

Quick Reply: Looking to replace radio