S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Looking for SD Card MP3 Radio (no ipod!)

Old 05-07-2010, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for SD Card MP3 Radio (no ipod!)

I used a JVC Exad-Avx706 Radio in my old Accord, which was the best radio ever. It took up to 4GB SD Cards filled with 320 Bitrate MP3 of my whole CD collection and eventually that's all I would ever listen to. I didn't understand why anyone would ever mess with CD's after that. Used the DVD Player twice in 5 years - Not worth it to me.

Want:
- SD Card compatibility up to 16GB.
- ID3 Tag readout.
- DCI Compatibility for volume & next song.
- To keep the radio door closed to whole time.
- Radio (HD would be nice)

Don't want:
- Messy & Ugly iphone / ipod connection (god bless you if did it!)
- USB / Pen Drive Connector which prevents you from shutting the radio door, if there's a FLUSH pen drive connector, then I'd consider that.

Anyways, after much searching, I found that not many respectable radio manufacturers want to mess with SD. I found the best were the Blaupunkt SD27 and the Boss 825CA, 835UI, or 840UBI.

Does anyone know if Blaupunkt or Boss will work with the Modifry DCI?

SD Car Receivers

Edit: Sorry was supposed to post this in the Electronics Section, but page refreshed back to "Talk"
Old 05-07-2010, 08:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Pioneer has 2 models out that advertise SD capability. The MVH-P8200 and the MVH-P8200BT (has built in bluetooth).
Old 05-07-2010, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Kenwood KDC-x993 does both MP3 "thumbdrive" and iPod/iPhone. Uses a cable that comes from the back of the unit. If your wanting to use an SD card only, you could get a USB to SD card reader (I have a CF Card reader for my camera) and then mount the reader someplace out of the way.

Most of the iPod capable HU's out there are also able to read USB thumbdrives. You might as well look at the units that do iPods as they most likely will also do other USB "mass media" devices.

I know one person that took one of those USB hard drives (size of a wallet but has 500+gb in it) and was able to use it with his HU. I believe he said that once he got over 100gb, the HU was a bit slow to get the next song using the ramdon song feature.

You might also look here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/
Old 06-19-2010, 01:21 AM

Good luck with that! It's like trying to find a cell phone without a stupid useless camera.
I'm also looking for a basic HU with SD card capability for my S2000, but it just doesn't exist. There is Pioneer MVH-P8200, but on crutchfield.com it is listed as "Does not fit" for our beloved car (I don't know why).
It seems that HU manufacturers cannot accept the fact that there are people who don't use iPods and don't want ugly cables/USB flash drives to stick out of the dashboard. It is just so disappointing!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dobrin,Jun 19 2010, 01:21 AM
Good luck with that! It's like trying to find a cell phone without a stupid useless camera.
I'm also looking for a basic HU with SD card capability for my S2000, but it just doesn't exist. There is Pioneer MVH-P8200, but on crutchfield.com it is listed as "Does not fit" for our beloved car (I don't know why).
It seems that HU manufacturers cannot accept the fact that there are people who don't use iPods and don't want ugly cables/USB flash drives to stick out of the dashboard. It is just so disappointing!
hi there

i have the same ideas as yours about radio in s2000. exactly the same ideas.
but also i would like my radio has tft screen so in the future i can connect navi box to use the radio screen as a navigator. because i don't want extra navi in my hands or anywhere else in the car. so i ended up to BOSS BV8725B or POWER ACOUSTIK PTID 4333NR. i found this topic because i was searching for dash control adaptor with these units. has anybody any idea for adaptor for BOSS or POWER ACOUSTIK.

thank you and drive really fast and really really safe

p.s. if you still looking for simple car audio with sd card look for JVC. I had found pretty decent models like JVC KD-AVX33 or KD-AVX44.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by TPhong,May 7 2010, 08:52 AM
Pioneer has 2 models out that advertise SD capability. The MVH-P8200 and the MVH-P8200BT (has built in bluetooth).
Awesome radios!!

But honestly, if you get some cheap off brand radio you will probably end up sending it off cause it breaks in a month or you'll hate the functionality of it. To many times have I put in off brand radios and they don't even work out of the box. So stick with something you've heard of before, like Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, Sony...etc.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by operator207,May 7 2010, 10:53 AM
My Kenwood KDC-x993 does both MP3 "thumbdrive" and iPod/iPhone. Uses a cable that comes from the back of the unit. If your wanting to use an SD card only, you could get a USB to SD card reader (I have a CF Card reader for my camera) and then mount the reader someplace out of the way.

Most of the iPod capable HU's out there are also able to read USB thumbdrives. You might as well look at the units that do iPods as they most likely will also do other USB "mass media" devices.

I know one person that took one of those USB hard drives (size of a wallet but has 500+gb in it) and was able to use it with his HU. I believe he said that once he got over 100gb, the HU was a bit slow to get the next song using the ramdon song feature.

You might also look here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/
I used a USB flash drive as well

works great and it's easy to transport music. I have a wire that comes from the back of my HU (CDA-9886) and runs under my dash to my cargo net. That's where the cord and flash drive hide, can't even see it from outside the car and my radio door is always closed
Old 08-09-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An option to get away from ugly front-load USB sticks is a USB/micro-SD reader. I got one from Frys that is incredibly small, only sticks out of the USB slot by 1/8" because the micro-SD card fits INSIDE the USB connector part, laying over top of the contacts. It has a short nylon cord attached so you can remove it, otherwise it is so slim you'd have to use needle-nose to get it out.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You could also get one with a USB on the front and get the USB Micro SD adapter that "should" be short enough where you can still shut the radio door.
http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.js...1&skuId=8917531
Old 08-17-2010, 05:23 AM

I guess that was the solution: They now have USB Flash drives so small that they barely stick out of the front of the radio. The Lexar Echo ZE seems to be the perfect one:

Comes up to 16GB too! Unbelievable! The 8GB one goes for less than $40.

Pair this with a Dual XHD-6425 Radio for $75 and you have 16GB (days of music) for less than $125. My girlfriend has had this radio for 1 year and loves it.

No word on whether this will work with the Dash Controls though.

Quick Reply: Looking for SD Card MP3 Radio (no ipod!)