S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Modifry's garage door opener mod rules!

Old 02-09-2004, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifry's garage door opener mod rules!

Everyone should do this! It only took 45 minutes and now I can stop looking for a place to put my garage door opener when not in use. I still can't believe how easy it was. Anyway, if you haven't seen it, check it out here:

http://www.baustnet.com/honda/mods/garage/garage.htm

Thanks Modifry!
Old 02-09-2004, 08:44 PM

I agree. It was my very first mod.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:29 AM

pretty cool
Old 02-10-2004, 05:02 AM

It's more funny when your buddies think it's some kind of sensor and they sit in your driveway flashing their brights
Old 02-10-2004, 07:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes it's the simple things that make a difference. I find the high beam lever much more convenient than visor-mounted Home Link buttons that I've had in the past.

I just updated my web page to include instructions on using the Cruise Control buttons instead of the high beam lever to activate your garage remote. Some owners were concerned about driving with the high beams on for long periods of time and whether it would 'wear out' the remote. I doubt it would, but this option prevents that constant ON condition if you are a frequent high beam user.

I also added info on how to wire 6v and 3v garage remotes by using an inexpensive voltage regulator. It's a pretty simple circuit using only 3 parts, all from Radio Shack. It reduces the car's 12v to safe levels for low-voltage remotes.

Plus I have a new buddy in my sig. Cool, huh?

It started out as this: Which I found on this web site - http://www.cargifs.co.uk/ .

I had to immediately 'modifry' it into this for a friend:

But for myself I needed something with more attitude so back to the modifry cave I went and came up with the guy in my sig.

Old 02-11-2004, 07:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

THATS COOL!
Old 02-19-2004, 08:05 AM

I have got to do this! I hate using my garage door opener, and ever since i saw this thread...oh i knew it was time. Just one thing Im still not sure about. Where does the positive and negative wires from the car attach to my remote? Does it connect to where the poles of the battery was? Also, if someone could clarify what mod has to be done to the remote itself. "Solder a jumper wire across the switch contacts." (this is what i don't get). Sorry, I'm just alittle confused. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:00 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Take apart the remote, and locate the microswitch. Then locate the pins on the base of the switch that are soldered to the circuit board. Some switches may be surface mount, others may poke through to the underside of the board. You want to connect (solder) a wire to join the two pins together permanently. This effectively bypasses the switch by making it always appear to be pressed. Then, whenever the remote is energized via the high beams, it transmits to the garage door opener.

To answer your other question - yes, the + and - wires connect to the battery contacts for + and -. The high beam circuit will supply the voltage that was previously from the batteries.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:08 AM

Thanks! I couldn't ask for a better repsonse.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:24 PM

My remote micro switch has four pins to secure it to the circuit board. I had to hold a wire against two of the pins to test it out to see which two should be jumped.

This is a neat mod, but my remote is so small, I decided to just velcro it to the underside of the cup holder cover. Works real well.

Quick Reply: Modifry's garage door opener mod rules!