S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

need a little amp help.

Old 09-17-2003, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a little amp help.

here's what i've got:

Headunit: Premier - DEH940MP
Components: Diamond Audio Technology - Hex S600s
Speakers (Lucid - Rear Panels): JL Audio - XR400-CX

now, will this amp be powerful enough to power the stuff i have above?
Amp: MTX - Blue Thunder PRO75X2

any and all help is appreciated. thanks everyone
Old 09-17-2003, 09:31 PM

Just curious.....the MTX is a 2 channel amp, are you planning to run the Diamonds with the amp and use the Pioneer headunit power for the JLs? Otherwise how are you going to balance or fade between the fronts and the backs?
Old 09-18-2003, 01:05 AM

Are you going to be powering the components and rear decks with this amp or just the components? No subs in this system either?
Old 09-18-2003, 08:28 AM

i'm planning on this amp to be a temporary one 'til i can afford a better one (and more powerful too). at that time, i'll probably get one that can handle a few subs. i don't know much about audio at all either , but i plan on learning when i get these things installed.

i'll power the rear speakers with the headunit and the components with the amp if i have to. i was thinking i could do both, but by your responses it looks like i can't be doing that.

so how would i have to do this (or would it not work at all?)?
Old 09-18-2003, 09:26 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally posted by moyopoyo
i'm planning on this amp to be a temporary one 'til i can afford a better one (and more powerful too). at that time, i'll probably get one that can handle a few subs. i don't know much about audio at all either , but i plan on learning when i get these things installed.

i'll power the rear speakers with the headunit and the components with the amp if i have to. i was thinking i could do both, but by your responses it looks like i can't be doing that.

so how would i have to do this (or would it not work at all?)?
1. If you buy a cheapie now, and then replace it with a better one later you will end up spending MORE than if you just buy a better one now.

2. It would be better to learn about audio BEFORE you buy anything so you can make an informed decision. Buying THEN figuring out that it won't work for you is not a good feeling.

3. The amp is 2-channel It can control 2 speakers. (R and L) If you hook up the rears AND the fronts to this amp then you lose the ability to fade between front and back volume. You can power the rear speakers off of the HU and then the fronts off of the amp. That would allow you to maintain "discreet" control over each channel (RF, LF, RR, and LR.) It MAY be possible down the road to salvage your investment in this amp as you MIGHT be able to use it to drive a subwoofer. If you do that, then you would need a separate 4 channel amp to power your front and rear speakers and then you would bridge this amp (2x75w= 150w) and drive a sub with 150w of power. I am not sure if THIS amp can be bridged to drive a sub though.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:31 AM

thanks for your help guys, i appreciate it.

i do have a question though. if i planned on using an amp for just the speakers, and i didn't want to use this amp...is there anything available from jl audio that i can use - you can see what they offer here: http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/index.html . how 'bout this one: http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/3004.html
Old 09-18-2003, 11:10 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know (phil might know a bit more) the diamonds are very high class speakers....meaning they need good amp power to sound clean. I would say about 110WRMS to each one. So to answer your question, thats really underpowering the system, since you have rears as well. Use the MTX for the rears and get a better amp for the diamonds......125x2 @ 4 ohms would be ideal I think.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:14 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NFRs2000NYC
As far as I know (phil might know a bit more) the diamonds are very high class speakers....meaning they need good amp power to sound clean.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:29 AM

From the Diamond website:
Power(Watts): 20-170
What does that mean?Is 170 watts the continuous power handling or the max or just some artbitrary number?
Old 09-18-2003, 11:46 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

170 is probably max...so 100-110 would be ideal......I would just get the Jl 5 channel...enough to power the whole system...

Quick Reply: need a little amp help.