S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

New Head Unit?

Old 09-18-2012, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Head Unit?

well im starting to looking into getting a new head unit for the S now before I start upgrading everything, speakers, amp etc. Anybody have any recommendations on a new one? i want something fairly decent no a lower end one, something new or getting ready to come out as we all know how fast electronics are released these days. I want something that will still aloow the use of the dash controls obviously, as well as ipod hook up, cd player still might be nice as well. feel free to throw any suggestions my way. I always have liked alpine anybody know of any niew badass ones coming out?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:18 PM

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

ive always been a fan of Pioneer, ill be installing the DEX-P99RS in my S2000 but i have the DEH-P880RS in my other car. its more budget friendly and it was the best head unit in its price range when it was still available, looks like the update version is the DEH-80PRS.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:37 AM

I have the deh-80prs. Let me just say itll do everything you could possibly want then some. The best part is that unlike alpine for the most part you dont have to spend a lot of money on modules to expand its features.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashton23
i want something fairly decent
anybody know of any niew badass ones coming out?
Define exactly what you mean by "decent" and "badass". They're both highly subjective words and you can't just assume that your notion of what they specifically mean is the same as everyone else's. Have you listened to any of the options out there? What type of music do you listen to? Give people as much information as possible any time you're asking for recommendations. Nearly any head unit out there would meet the requirements you've posted so far. You need to give people something to work with. Sound's a very subjective matter in general. If you look around it's very apparent that not everyone uses the same setup.

I want something that will still aloow the use of the dash controls obviously
You'll need a DCI. Modifry's is always recommended. If your soldering skills aren't up to par he makes a PnP harness for Alpine units that makes installing the head unit and DCI a snap.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:22 AM

I'll check that pioneer out I've always liked pioneer as well, what's a good price to expect to pay for it?

As far as a decent badass one I ment I just don't want a $150 deck, something a little more fit for the car rather then something a 16year old kid would throw in their car lol sorry I should have worded it better. As far as a DCI will I need to order that for any unit I decide to go with then?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need the DCI for just about any aftermarket HU. The main thing to think about when purchasing your HU is what you intend to do afterwards. You seem to be getting ready to make a big audio build, so think about the specs you need to handle all of that.

As takeshi said, it's all rather subjective. Look around at some of the other threads in this sub forum and see what systems members have put together.

Good luck.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:02 AM

The deh-80prs was 270 on amazon when i got it 3 weeks ago.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:30 AM

Thanks murderedrsx!

As far as what I'm going to do after the HU installation will be a amp to power the speakers a bit more, looking ay an alpine amp as well. Supposedly I have focal speakers in the doors but if that's the case the amp will definitely help them slid better of course. If that's not the case ill most likely add new door speakers but other then that I don't think I want to.put a sub in the s2k my other car has a L7 12" and I don't really want to rattle the S apart.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:24 PM

I just put my sub in last week and i was worried about the same thing. Rattle. Hell it rattled so bad before. Anyway five minutes after putting the sub in i realized ita all the top tray. Yanked the top tray and voila....no more rattles. The trunk latch rattles a little but it cant be heard inside the car even with the top down. Only way i know is if i get out of the car with the volume cranked and walk to the back.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:01 PM

If you Dynamat the trunk properly nothing will rattle. I've had all the stock panels in the car and a high powered sub and nothing rattled. You need to do a good job applying sound deadening material to the car. Once that's done nothing will rattle.

Quick Reply: New Head Unit?